Am Montag, den 30.06.2008, 23:08 +0200 schrieb Andreas Schneider:
> Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > Yeah, samba and samba-ctl (or sambactl ?) seems better to me as well.

> I wouldn't add the the net command to samba-ctl. I think it is a good approach
> to have the same command on Linux and Windows and people are used to it.

I think it makes sense for at least parts ("daemon maintainance") of
it to be added to such a binary aka samba-ctl, along with smbstatus and testparm.
Adding everything from net to samba-ctl may be a bit too much.

There are lots of difference between Windows and Linux, and I think
learning that "net" is called "samba-ctl" on Linux for people who are
migrating really isn't an issue.

> And I'm sure it will break a lot of scripts and other tools which use the
> 'net' command. An option would be that net is a wrapper for
> samba-ctrl.

Some things are going to break in the UI between 3 and 4 anyway; I'm not
sure this should be a big concern.

Cheers,

Jelmer
--