[Samba] Did Microsoft release any useful information . . . ? - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Did Microsoft release any useful information . . . ? - Samba ; Hello, I just read on an austrian news site ( http://futurezone.orf.at/hardcore/stories/289596/ ) that Microsoft released documentation of some of their protocols. On the site there are 4 links to Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...ess%20Releases http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc216514.aspx http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal...s/default.mspx http://www.microsoft.com/interop/ Now my question is: Is there ...

  1. [Samba] Did Microsoft release any useful information . . . ?

    Hello,

    I just read on an austrian news site ( http://futurezone.orf.at/hardcore/stories/289596/
    ) that Microsoft released documentation of some of their protocols.
    On the site there are 4 links to Microsoft:

    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...ess%20Releases
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc216514.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal...s/default.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/interop/

    Now my question is:

    Is there any useful information for open source developers, especially
    samba devs, in some of this docs??
    Especially in the smb and smb2 docs found here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc246231.aspx
    and
    here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc246482.aspx.

    Hopefully it is useful on some way.

    Greetings from Vienna, Austria.
    Markus

    Markus Bajones
    bajo@fet.at
    Studienvertretung Elektrotechnik
    and der TU Wien

    Fachschaft Elektrotechnik
    Gusshausstraße 27-29
    1040 Wien
    www.fet.at

  2. Re: [Samba] Did Microsoft release any useful information . . . ?

    Quoting Markus Bajones (bajo@fet.at):

    > Now my question is:
    >
    > Is there any useful information for open source developers, especially
    > samba devs, in some of this docs??

    >From Tridge's talk at SambaXP (last April in Göttingen, Germany), I

    understood that, yes, these documentations have already proven and
    will prove to be useful.

    Moreover, he essentially pointed that this process also re-opened the
    gates allowing Microsoft engineers to better collaborate, at the
    technical level, with Free Software developers, particularly the Samba
    Team. Thus re-establishing the link that was there in the 90's.

    Of course, some months later, some input from Samba Team developers
    woul dbe interesting wrt that matter.