[Samba] Samba PDC: Vmware Problem - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Samba PDC: Vmware Problem - Samba ; Heya All I'm having a Samba PDC on Centos machine from past 4-5 months everything went one coolly untill I installed vmware on this same machine to put a new server, as the hardware of the computer was very good ...

  1. [Samba] Samba PDC: Vmware Problem

    Heya All

    I'm having a Samba PDC on Centos machine from past 4-5 months everything
    went one coolly untill I installed vmware on this same machine to put a new
    server, as the hardware of the computer was very good to support it. No
    worried with the vmware even both the servers are running properly.

    My Samba was set to use Interface eth0 with ip 192.168.50.56 . Upon
    installation the Vmware installed two new interface called vmnet0 having the
    ip 192.168.219.1 and vmnet8 having the ip 172.16.237.1. Now when my client
    computers try to contact the samba server there are requesting either of
    these 2 interfaces for replies. Which I dont want them to do. I want the
    client computers to request all the samba stuff requests to
    192.168.50.56and not to anyother IP's. How do I achieve this?

    As a solution to the problem I tried to add in hosts file of the client
    computer (WINXP) the domain name and the ip of the samba server (
    192.168.50.56) but it didnt work. Anyone any idea to how to make it it.

    Because of this sometimes the roaming profiles are getting loaded and
    sometimes there are not. Thats a big risk I'm facing.

    Please help. Thanks for your support.

    Regards
    Misbah

  2. Re: [Samba] Samba PDC: Vmware Problem

    would

    interfaces = eth0 x.x.x.x
    hosts deny = ALL
    hosts allow = x.x.x.x 127.0.0.1

    in your smb.conf work?

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 00:21:20 +0530
    "Go Wow" wrote:

    > Heya All
    >
    > I'm having a Samba PDC on Centos machine from past 4-5 months
    > everything went one coolly untill I installed vmware on this same
    > machine to put a new server, as the hardware of the computer was very
    > good to support it. No worried with the vmware even both the servers
    > are running properly.
    >
    > My Samba was set to use Interface eth0 with ip 192.168.50.56 . Upon
    > installation the Vmware installed two new interface called vmnet0
    > having the ip 192.168.219.1 and vmnet8 having the ip 172.16.237.1.
    > Now when my client computers try to contact the samba server there
    > are requesting either of these 2 interfaces for replies. Which I dont
    > want them to do. I want the client computers to request all the samba
    > stuff requests to 192.168.50.56and not to anyother IP's. How do I
    > achieve this?
    >
    > As a solution to the problem I tried to add in hosts file of the
    > client computer (WINXP) the domain name and the ip of the samba
    > server ( 192.168.50.56) but it didnt work. Anyone any idea to how to
    > make it it.
    >
    > Because of this sometimes the roaming profiles are getting loaded and
    > sometimes there are not. Thats a big risk I'm facing.
    >
    > Please help. Thanks for your support.
    >
    > Regards
    > Misbah

  3. Re: [Samba] Samba PDC: Vmware Problem

    sorry typed that on the phone, you wouldn't need the hosts allow and
    hosts deny entries.

    "Go Wow" wrote:

    > Heya All
    >
    > I'm having a Samba PDC on Centos machine from past 4-5 months
    > everything went one coolly untill I installed vmware on this same
    > machine to put a new server, as the hardware of the computer was very
    > good to support it. No worried with the vmware even both the servers
    > are running properly.
    >
    > My Samba was set to use Interface eth0 with ip 192.168.50.56 . Upon
    > installation the Vmware installed two new interface called vmnet0
    > having the ip 192.168.219.1 and vmnet8 having the ip 172.16.237.1.
    > Now when my client computers try to contact the samba server there
    > are requesting either of these 2 interfaces for replies. Which I dont
    > want them to do. I want the client computers to request all the samba
    > stuff requests to 192.168.50.56and not to anyother IP's. How do I
    > achieve this?
    >
    > As a solution to the problem I tried to add in hosts file of the
    > client computer (WINXP) the domain name and the ip of the samba
    > server ( 192.168.50.56) but it didnt work. Anyone any idea to how to
    > make it it.
    >
    > Because of this sometimes the roaming profiles are getting loaded and
    > sometimes there are not. Thats a big risk I'm facing.
    >
    > Please help. Thanks for your support.
    >
    > Regards
    > Misbah

  4. Re: [Samba] Samba PDC: Vmware Problem

    Yeah I have the entry in global section

    interface = eth0 lo
    bind interfaces = yes

    But that doesnt work for me.

    2008/6/28 Chris Jeter :

    > would
    >
    > interfaces = eth0 x.x.x.x
    > hosts deny = ALL
    > hosts allow = x.x.x.x 127.0.0.1
    >
    > in your smb.conf work?
    >

    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 00:21:20 +0530
    > "Go Wow" wrote:
    >
    > > Heya All
    > >
    > > I'm having a Samba PDC on Centos machine from past 4-5 months
    > > everything went one coolly untill I installed vmware on this same
    > > machine to put a new server, as the hardware of the computer was very
    > > good to support it. No worried with the vmware even both the servers
    > > are running properly.
    > >
    > > My Samba was set to use Interface eth0 with ip 192.168.50.56 . Upon
    > > installation the Vmware installed two new interface called vmnet0
    > > having the ip 192.168.219.1 and vmnet8 having the ip 172.16.237.1.
    > > Now when my client computers try to contact the samba server there
    > > are requesting either of these 2 interfaces for replies. Which I dont
    > > want them to do. I want the client computers to request all the samba
    > > stuff requests to 192.168.50.56and not to anyother IP's. How do I
    > > achieve this?
    > >
    > > As a solution to the problem I tried to add in hosts file of the
    > > client computer (WINXP) the domain name and the ip of the samba
    > > server ( 192.168.50.56) but it didnt work. Anyone any idea to how to
    > > make it it.
    > >
    > > Because of this sometimes the roaming profiles are getting loaded and
    > > sometimes there are not. Thats a big risk I'm facing.
    > >
    > > Please help. Thanks for your support.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Misbah

    > --

    Those that make the rule don't play the game!!

  5. Re: [Samba] Samba PDC: Vmware Problem

    Okay found the solution for this one. run the vmware-config.pl file and when
    it asks for configure networking say "yes". During this wizard it asks
    whether NAT and Host-Only should be left enable or disable say "disable" and
    everything will work fine.

    Actually I have only one VMware machine which is connected to internet
    through "bridge" so I have no problem disabling the NAT and Host-Only as I
    don't even use it.

    Thanks for your support people.

    Regards
    Misbah