[Samba] join linux client to samba domain - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] join linux client to samba domain - Samba ; i'm trying to do something which i thought would be simple but i am having a hard time finding information on this. i already have a samba pdc running and managing 17 windows xp clients. i have one linux client ...

  1. [Samba] join linux client to samba domain

    i'm trying to do something which i thought would be simple but i am
    having a hard time finding information on this. i already have a samba
    pdc running and managing 17 windows xp clients. i have one linux
    client that i need to join to the domain. i don't want this client to
    share anything, i just want it to be on the domain. what does my
    smb.conf file need to look like??

  2. Re: [Samba] join linux client to samba domain

    On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Leandro Tracchia wrote:
    > i'm trying to do something which i thought would be simple but i am
    > having a hard time finding information on this. i already have a samba
    > pdc running and managing 17 windows xp clients. i have one linux
    > client that i need to join to the domain. i don't want this client to
    > share anything, i just want it to be on the domain. what does my
    > smb.conf file need to look like??

    Hello,

    Probably you're looking for PAM-based authentication
    (http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...ction/pam.html).

    Regards,
    Ari Constancio

  3. Re: [Samba] join linux client to samba domain

    thanks for your reply. i have never experimented with PAM auth. i will
    look into this.

    any more suggestions??

    On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Ari Constancio
    wrote:
    > On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Leandro Tracchia wrote:
    >> i'm trying to do something which i thought would be simple but i am
    >> having a hard time finding information on this. i already have a samba
    >> pdc running and managing 17 windows xp clients. i have one linux
    >> client that i need to join to the domain. i don't want this client to
    >> share anything, i just want it to be on the domain. what does my
    >> smb.conf file need to look like??

    > Hello,
    >
    > Probably you're looking for PAM-based authentication
    > (http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...ction/pam.html).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ari Constancio

  4. Re: [Samba] join linux client to samba domain

    On Wednesday 25 June 2008 13:19:36 Leandro Tracchia wrote:
    > i'm trying to do something which i thought would be simple but i am
    > having a hard time finding information on this. i already have a samba
    > pdc running and managing 17 windows xp clients. i have one linux
    > client that i need to join to the domain. i don't want this client to
    > share anything, i just want it to be on the domain. what does my
    > smb.conf file need to look like??

    Suggest you check chapter 7 section 7.3, examples 7.3.1, 7.3.2 or 7.3.3 of
    Samba3-ByExample available from:

    http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

    If anything does not work please email me.

    - John T.