[Samba] problems with word mail merge - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] problems with word mail merge - Samba ; Hi list. I've got a samba 3.0.25b server with windows XP clients. I meet trouble with mail merging on Word 2003. When this document is opened, Word says that it can't open the data source (X:\path), when the data source ...

  1. [Samba] problems with word mail merge

    Hi list.
    I've got a samba 3.0.25b server with windows XP clients. I meet trouble
    with mail merging on Word 2003.
    When this document is opened, Word says that it can't open the data
    source (X:\path), when the data source is on a mapped drive. But when
    the data source is on the UNC path everything is ok.
    Did I missed something in my smb.conf ?

    Thanks !
    Derreck.

  2. Re: [Samba] problems with word mail merge

    Remember that office see connections such as //192.168.1.1/whatever as
    insecure and the document may not open. I have seen this on access.
    Try to mount to the computer name such as //servername/whatever this
    could be the problem
    Gerhard

    eric wrote:
    > Hi list.
    > I've got a samba 3.0.25b server with windows XP clients. I meet
    > trouble with mail merging on Word 2003.
    > When this document is opened, Word says that it can't open the data
    > source (X:\path), when the data source is on a mapped drive. But when
    > the data source is on the UNC path everything is ok.
    > Did I missed something in my smb.conf ?
    >
    > Thanks !
    > Derreck.

  3. Re: [Samba] problems with word mail merge

    Thanks for you answer Gerhard.
    My problem occure when I use a mapped network drive (like X:\ mapped on
    \\servername\whatever).
    When using the UNC path (like \\servername\whatever with no IP address),
    all is working.
    For my users, I would prefer to use the mapped drive because they don't
    know the UNC path. And Word is using the mapped network drive ! I have
    to modify all mail merging using X:\ by \\servername\whatever. For my
    600 users...

    derreck.

    Gerhard du Toit a écrit :
    > Remember that office see connections such as //192.168.1.1/whatever as
    > insecure and the document may not open. I have seen this on access.
    > Try to mount to the computer name such as //servername/whatever this
    > could be the problem
    > Gerhard
    >
    > eric wrote:
    >> Hi list.
    >> I've got a samba 3.0.25b server with windows XP clients. I meet
    >> trouble with mail merging on Word 2003.
    >> When this document is opened, Word says that it can't open the data
    >> source (X:\path), when the data source is on a mapped drive. But when
    >> the data source is on the UNC path everything is ok.
    >> Did I missed something in my smb.conf ?
    >>
    >> Thanks !
    >> Derreck.

  4. Re: [Samba] problems with word mail merge

    Hi Eric
    Do not map ro \\192...... but to \\servername\.... that will work.
    maping basically just mean t:\ points to \\servername\ so you can easaly
    map to the server name instead.
    Regards
    Gerhard

    eric wrote:
    > Thanks for you answer Gerhard.
    > My problem occure when I use a mapped network drive (like X:\ mapped
    > on \\servername\whatever).
    > When using the UNC path (like \\servername\whatever with no IP
    > address), all is working.
    > For my users, I would prefer to use the mapped drive because they
    > don't know the UNC path. And Word is using the mapped network drive !
    > I have to modify all mail merging using X:\ by \\servername\whatever.
    > For my 600 users...
    >
    > derreck.
    >
    > Gerhard du Toit a écrit :
    >> Remember that office see connections such as //192.168.1.1/whatever
    >> as insecure and the document may not open. I have seen this on access.
    >> Try to mount to the computer name such as //servername/whatever this
    >> could be the problem
    >> Gerhard
    >>
    >> eric wrote:
    >>> Hi list.
    >>> I've got a samba 3.0.25b server with windows XP clients. I meet
    >>> trouble with mail merging on Word 2003.
    >>> When this document is opened, Word says that it can't open the data
    >>> source (X:\path), when the data source is on a mapped drive. But
    >>> when the data source is on the UNC path everything is ok.
    >>> Did I missed something in my smb.conf ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks !
    >>> Derreck.

  5. Re: [Samba] problems with word mail merge

    That's what I do ! When I map X:\ on \\servername\share it doesn't work.
    No troubles with files and folders through X:\. But when I use a mail
    merge document, at opening, the data source file can't be find.
    Microsoft talk about that in KB 885832
    (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885832/en-us). Resolved in Word 2003
    SP2, but I am in SP3. And just moved to samba... That's why I think
    samba cause this issue.

    Thanks Gerhard.