Request for suggestions for Samba 4 development. - Samba

This is a discussion on Request for suggestions for Samba 4 development. - Samba ; I want to contribute something to Samba 4 development, but I need some help for starting. I have an initial setup: a Samba 4 server built and virtual machines with Windows XP authenticating through it. Can you suggest me any ...

  1. Request for suggestions for Samba 4 development.

    I want to contribute something to Samba 4 development, but I need some
    help for starting. I have an initial setup: a Samba 4 server built and
    virtual machines with Windows XP authenticating through it.

    Can you suggest me any task to start?

    Best regards,

    Ramon

  2. Re: Request for suggestions for Samba 4 development.

    On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 21:41 +0200, Ramón GarcÃ*a wrote:
    > I want to contribute something to Samba 4 development, but I need some
    > help for starting. I have an initial setup: a Samba 4 server built and
    > virtual machines with Windows XP authenticating through it.
    >
    > Can you suggest me any task to start?

    My best suggestion is to find something that you want to have work, but
    does not work.

    One area that would be well worth working on, if you have an interest in
    it, it nss_winbind and pam_winbind. They have not had much attention in
    Samba4, and I'm not sure how well they work.

    If LDAP is you thing, then the LDAP backend (where we use OpenLDAP as a
    database behind Samba4) always needs work, but this is not for the feint
    of heart.

    Michael Adam is working on browsing - perhaps he would like some help?

    We need to change our default ACL modal in Samba4, to use the ACL
    mapping code that Samba3 uses. Currently we have the best NT ACL
    implementation, but as the kernel is enforcing a different set of
    permissions (a simple mode mask), the worse possible user experience.
    This needs to be fixed, by instead storing the ACL as a posix ACL, and
    having the kernel interpret it.

    I hope these provide a start. Feel free to catch up with us on IRC -
    #samba-technical on irc.freenode.net.

    Andrew Bartlett

    --
    Andrew Bartlett
    http://samba.org/~abartlet/

  3. Re: Request for suggestions for Samba 4 development.

    Ramón GarcÃ*a schrieb:
    > I want to contribute something to Samba 4 development, but I need some
    > help for starting. I have an initial setup: a Samba 4 server built and
    > virtual machines with Windows XP authenticating through it.
    >
    > Can you suggest me any task to start?

    There is much to do left. You could have a look at SAMBA 4 Bugzilla or
    also at the wiki pages under http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4 .
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Ramon

    Regards,
    Matthias

  4. Re: Request for suggestions for Samba 4 development.

    Or... technical documentation?

    Andrew Bartlett wrote:
    > On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 21:41 +0200, Ramón García wrote:
    >> I want to contribute something to Samba 4 development, but I need some
    >> help for starting. I have an initial setup: a Samba 4 server built and
    >> virtual machines with Windows XP authenticating through it.
    >>
    >> Can you suggest me any task to start?

    > My best suggestion is to find something that you want to have work, but
    > does not work.
    >
    > One area that would be well worth working on, if you have an interest in
    > it, it nss_winbind and pam_winbind. They have not had much attention in
    > Samba4, and I'm not sure how well they work.
    >
    > If LDAP is you thing, then the LDAP backend (where we use OpenLDAP as a
    > database behind Samba4) always needs work, but this is not for the feint
    > of heart.
    >
    > Michael Adam is working on browsing - perhaps he would like some help?
    >
    > We need to change our default ACL modal in Samba4, to use the ACL
    > mapping code that Samba3 uses. Currently we have the best NT ACL
    > implementation, but as the kernel is enforcing a different set of
    > permissions (a simple mode mask), the worse possible user experience.
    > This needs to be fixed, by instead storing the ACL as a posix ACL, and
    > having the kernel interpret it.
    >
    > I hope these provide a start. Feel free to catch up with us on IRC -
    > #samba-technical on irc.freenode.net.
    >
    > Andrew Bartlett

    Samba Team -- http://www.samba.org/ -)----- Christopher R. Hertel
    jCIFS Team -- http://jcifs.samba.org/ -)----- ubiqx development, uninq.