[Samba] Roaming profile & f-secure problem - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Roaming profile & f-secure problem - Samba ; Hi, are there any know problems with f-secure scanner and roaming profiles? We have a lot of users with problems syncing their roaming profile from the domain server. It seems to be a problem with f-secure's on-access scanning (may be ...

  1. [Samba] Roaming profile & f-secure problem

    Hi,

    are there any know problems with f-secure scanner and roaming profiles?
    We have a lot of users with problems syncing their roaming profile from
    the domain server. It seems to be a problem with f-secure's on-access
    scanning (may be timeout problem?). Some users have to login three or
    four times, before getting their roaming profile and not the default
    profile.

    System: 3.0.24-6etch9

    Ciao,
    Marcus

  2. Re: [Samba] Roaming profile & f-secure problem

    Marcus Sobchak wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > are there any know problems with f-secure scanner and roaming profiles?
    > We have a lot of users with problems syncing their roaming profile from
    > the domain server. It seems to be a problem with f-secure's on-access
    > scanning (may be timeout problem?). Some users have to login three or
    > four times, before getting their roaming profile and not the default
    > profile.
    >
    > System: 3.0.24-6etch9
    >
    > Ciao,
    > Marcus

    I'm running f-prot 6 w/ on access scanning and haven't had any problems
    specific to roaming profiles. We've also got redirected folders
    (desktop, start menu, etc.), but I have seen this problem once or twice.

    Every now and then we'll log in and get a default profile. The next
    login always works. I see this maybe once a month.

    Are you sure you're not close to the max Cat 5e length? I've heard of
    things like this once you start getting towards the upper limits of a
    cable length. Fprot is somewhat... cranky... so YMMV. Can you provide
    logs for us?

  3. [Samba] Re: Roaming profile & f-secure problem

    Marcus Sobchak wrote:
    > are there any know problems with f-secure scanner and roaming profiles?
    > We have a lot of users with problems syncing their roaming profile from
    > the domain server. It seems to be a problem with f-secure's on-access
    > scanning (may be timeout problem?). Some users have to login three or
    > four times, before getting their roaming profile and not the default
    > profile.

    I diagnosed a problem recently where a system task running on a Windows
    client (wpkg) would not release oplocks on server files, forcing other
    clients to wait 30seconds to on each file to break the oplock. Disabling
    the F-Secure firewall solved this.

    Could your problem be related?

    If another client refuses to release the oplock on the profile data,
    windows might time out and use the default profile instead. When it does
    work the oplock may already be broken.

    Just a theory to test anyway.

    Brian May