[Samba] samba ADS and ms licenses - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] samba ADS and ms licenses - Samba ; Hi, a quick question. Im running samba, but i want to use ads for auth. I have 1 windows 2000 ( or 2003 ) available, but without extra licences ( just the default 5 users ) in my current enviroment ...

  1. [Samba] samba ADS and ms licenses

    Hi,

    a quick question.

    Im running samba, but i want to use ads for auth.

    I have 1 windows 2000 ( or 2003 ) available, but without extra licences (
    just the default 5 users )

    in my current enviroment im having about 70 users.

    now my question.

    I want to install the windows 2000 or 2003 and use only the ADS
    install my samba, connect it with the ads of windows.

    Now its al about, my pc's are going to auth against samba ( ads )
    do i have licensing problemen with my MS server or not,
    it this legal ?

    Louis

    _____

    De informatie verzonden in en met dit e-mail bericht is uitsluitend bestemd
    voor de geadresseerde(n) en is mogelijk vertrouwelijk van aard. Gebruik van
    deze informatie door anderen dan de geadresseerde is niet toegestaan. Het is
    voorts niet toegestaan deze informatie openbaar te maken, te
    verveelvoudigen, te verspreiden en/of aan derden te verstrekken. Bazuin en
    Partners staat niet in voor de juiste en volledige overbrenging van de
    inhoud van een verzonden e-mail, noch voor de tijdige ontvangst ervan.
    The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is intended
    solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be
    confidential. The use of this information by others than the named
    addressee(s) is not allowed. Moreover, it is not allowed to disclose, copy
    or distribute this information. Bazuin en Partners is neither liable for the
    proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this
    e-mail, nor for any delay in its receipt.
    _____

  2. RE: [Samba] samba ADS and ms licenses

    Hi,

    I think its discutable.
    because you pay for licence, for computer or user.
    but non of the computers/users ( accept 1 of 2 for the administrator )
    connect to the windows server, all auth must go throug samba.

    i'll go investigate this.

    thanx for the quick answhere.

    Louis

  3. RE: [Samba] samba ADS and ms licenses

    > I think its discutable.

    I agree.

    Users account are in Windows directory (point for MS), but they are only
    authenticated on Windows machine so they don't actually connect to any
    shared resources (point for Samba).

    Going this way... You can create as many accounts as You wish in ADS
    but if You exceed max connection limit they just can't connect.
    To me it's self-explanatory, if Samba does not hit this limitation
    it's ok with MS licencing.

    ´╗┐Best regards
    JZ