[Samba] Samba Shares Suddenly Look Empty with 3.0.28a - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Samba Shares Suddenly Look Empty with 3.0.28a - Samba ; Does this problem sound familiar to anybody. On a busy Linux server that exports lots of Samba Shares for video editing, upgrading from Samba 3.0.23d to Samba 3.0.28a has caused a huge problem. After several hours of use, ALL exported ...

  1. [Samba] Samba Shares Suddenly Look Empty with 3.0.28a

    Does this problem sound familiar to anybody. On a busy Linux server
    that exports lots of Samba Shares for video editing, upgrading from
    Samba 3.0.23d to Samba 3.0.28a has caused a huge problem.

    After several hours of use, ALL exported Samba Shares suddenly appear to
    have NO FILES to ALL CONNECTED OS X CLIENTS. Also, it is still possible
    to log into shares (so to some extent, Samba is still working). But when
    you log in, the shares look empty as well.

    There are NO ERROR MESSAGES in the standard "level 3" samba logs. There
    are no error messages in the syslog. smbd seems to be running fine.
    Restarting Samba, and reconnecting to the shares brings the files back.

    The problem I am describing has been very reproducible. It's just a
    matter of waiting a few hours and occurs. Reverting back to Samba
    3.0.23d makes the problem go away.

    Any ideas?

    Andy Liebman

  2. Re: [Samba] Samba Shares Suddenly Look Empty with 3.0.28a

    On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 10:47:08AM -0400, Andy Liebman wrote:
    > Does this problem sound familiar to anybody. On a busy Linux server
    > that exports lots of Samba Shares for video editing, upgrading from
    > Samba 3.0.23d to Samba 3.0.28a has caused a huge problem.
    >
    > After several hours of use, ALL exported Samba Shares suddenly appear to
    > have NO FILES to ALL CONNECTED OS X CLIENTS. Also, it is still possible
    > to log into shares (so to some extent, Samba is still working). But when
    > you log in, the shares look empty as well.
    >
    > There are NO ERROR MESSAGES in the standard "level 3" samba logs. There
    > are no error messages in the syslog. smbd seems to be running fine.
    > Restarting Samba, and reconnecting to the shares brings the files back.
    >
    > The problem I am describing has been very reproducible. It's just a
    > matter of waiting a few hours and occurs. Reverting back to Samba
    > 3.0.23d makes the problem go away.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Can you get traffic captures from when the OSX clients
    are failing to see the files. Sounds like something George
    and James would be interested in looking at.

    Jeremy.

  3. Re: [Samba] Samba Shares Suddenly Look Empty with 3.0.28a

    Jeremy Allison wrote:
    > On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 10:47:08AM -0400, Andy Liebman wrote:
    >
    >> Does this problem sound familiar to anybody. On a busy Linux server
    >> that exports lots of Samba Shares for video editing, upgrading from
    >> Samba 3.0.23d to Samba 3.0.28a has caused a huge problem.
    >>
    >> After several hours of use, ALL exported Samba Shares suddenly appear to
    >> have NO FILES to ALL CONNECTED OS X CLIENTS. Also, it is still possible
    >> to log into shares (so to some extent, Samba is still working). But when
    >> you log in, the shares look empty as well.
    >>
    >> There are NO ERROR MESSAGES in the standard "level 3" samba logs. There
    >> are no error messages in the syslog. smbd seems to be running fine.
    >> Restarting Samba, and reconnecting to the shares brings the files back.
    >>
    >> The problem I am describing has been very reproducible. It's just a
    >> matter of waiting a few hours and occurs. Reverting back to Samba
    >> 3.0.23d makes the problem go away.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>

    > Can you get traffic captures from when the OSX clients
    > are failing to see the files. Sounds like something George
    > and James would be interested in looking at.
    >
    > Jeremy.

    Hi Jeremy. What do you mean by "traffic captures"? Wireshark? Or Level
    10 logs? Or both? Although this problem was reproducible, it cropped up
    in a production environment and so I can't really ask the user to
    intentionally disrupt work again.

    Thus, i need to investigate another way to reproduce the issue. It
    seemed to be related to "time". However, it might have been related to
    "amount of data transferred" or something else that RISES WITH TIME.

    I would also, of course, like to know if Windows clients are effected.

    Andy