Seeing SAMBA in embedded device from vista - Samba

This is a discussion on Seeing SAMBA in embedded device from vista - Samba ; Hello, I am working on a embedded linux device with an arm processor. This devices creates a dedicated network with a generic computer with Windows Vista. I have succesfully built samba for it, and runned it with commands: smbd -D ...

  1. Seeing SAMBA in embedded device from vista

    Hello,

    I am working on a embedded linux device with an arm processor. This
    devices creates a dedicated network with a generic computer with Windows
    Vista.

    I have succesfully built samba for it, and runned it with commands:

    smbd -D
    nmbd -D

    My configuration file is like this:

    [global]
    netbios name = MYDEVICE
    name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = Samba Server
    security = share
    load printers = no
    guest account = root
    log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    interfaces = 1.1.1.1/24
    wins support = yes
    dns proxy = no

    [public]
    path = /
    public = yes
    only guest = yes
    writable = yes
    printable = no

    So in Windows Vista I can see files in the device through the path
    \\1.1.1.1. Also I can see my device in "My network places" as
    "MYDEVICE", but when I try to access files with this path (e.g
    "\\MYDEVICE\public\smb.conf") I am always getting an error "Windows can
    not access \\MYDEVICE, check name and network are right".

    Please, whan am I doing wrong? I have also tried with other
    configurations like:

    [global]
    netbios name = MYDEVICE
    remote announce = 1.1.1.2
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = Samba Server
    security = share
    load printers = no
    guest account = root
    log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    interfaces = 1.1.1.1/24
    local master = yes
    os level = 33
    preferred master = yes
    wins support = yes
    dns proxy = no

    But I cannot get it to work properly. I am stuck. Could somebody please
    help me with this? Thank you!!

  2. Re: Seeing SAMBA in embedded device from vista

    On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:40:50AM +0200, Rubén Lagar wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am working on a embedded linux device with an arm processor. This
    > devices creates a dedicated network with a generic computer with Windows
    > Vista.
    >
    > I have succesfully built samba for it, and runned it with commands:
    >
    > smbd -D
    > nmbd -D
    >
    > My configuration file is like this:
    >
    > [global]
    > netbios name = MYDEVICE
    > name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
    > workgroup = WORKGROUP
    > server string = Samba Server
    > security = share

    Don't use security=share. There are other tricks to achieve
    a similar effect.

    Volker

  3. Re: Seeing SAMBA in embedded device from vista

    I have read everywhere that

    security=user

    is preferred by developers and recommended, but I have not found any way
    to achieve the same effect. If I use that option, Vista always is asking
    me for an username and a password, so then people who wants to use my
    device has to know those params. I have looked for a solution in google
    and in mail archives, but I have not found anything. Maybe it is a
    newbie question, but that is what I am.

    About what I asked first in my email, could you please help me with
    something?

    I apologize if I should not ask these type of things in this list, but I
    am really stuck and I don't know how to go forward.

    Volker Lendecke escribió:
    > On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:40:50AM +0200, Rubén Lagar wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am working on a embedded linux device with an arm processor. This
    >> devices creates a dedicated network with a generic computer with Windows
    >> Vista.
    >>
    >> I have succesfully built samba for it, and runned it with commands:
    >>
    >> smbd -D
    >> nmbd -D
    >>
    >> My configuration file is like this:
    >>
    >> [global]
    >> netbios name = MYDEVICE
    >> name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
    >> workgroup = WORKGROUP
    >> server string = Samba Server
    >> security = share
    >> load printers = no
    >> guest account = root
    >> log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
    >> max log size = 50
    >> interfaces = 1.1.1.1/24
    >> wins support = yes
    >> dns proxy = no
    >>
    >> [public]
    >> path = /
    >> public = yes
    >> only guest = yes
    >> writable = yes
    >> printable = no
    >>

    >> So in Windows Vista I can see files in the device through the path
    >> \\1.1.1.1. Also I can see my device in "My network places" as
    >> "MYDEVICE", but when I try to access files with this path (e.g
    >> "\\MYDEVICE\public\smb.conf") I am always getting an error "Windows can
    >> not access \\MYDEVICE, check name and network are right".
    >>
    >> Please, whan am I doing wrong? I have also tried with other
    >> configurations like:
    >>
    >> [global]
    >> netbios name = MYDEVICE
    >> remote announce = 1.1.1.2
    >> workgroup = WORKGROUP
    >> server string = Samba Server
    >> security = share
    >> load printers = no
    >> guest account = root
    >> log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
    >> max log size = 50
    >> interfaces = 1.1.1.1/24
    >> local master = yes
    >> os level = 33
    >> preferred master = yes
    >> wins support = yes
    >> dns proxy = no
    >>

    >> But I cannot get it to work properly. I am stuck. Could somebody please
    >> help me with this? Thank you!!
    >>

    > Don't use security=share. There are other tricks to achieve
    > a similar effect.
    >
    > Volker

  4. Re: Seeing SAMBA in embedded device from vista

    On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 01:28:51PM +0200, Rubén Lagar wrote:
    > I have read everywhere that
    >
    > security=user
    >
    > is preferred by developers and recommended, but I have not found any way
    > to achieve the same effect. If I use that option, Vista always is asking
    > me for an username and a password, so then people who wants to use my
    > device has to know those params. I have looked for a solution in google
    > and in mail archives, but I have not found anything. Maybe it is a
    > newbie question, but that is what I am.

    Assuming your goal is a completely unsecure, fully open to
    everyone server, you might try several options:

    map to guest = bad password

    or a little more sophisticated

    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

    where /etc/samba/smbusers contains

    guest = *

    If you have any other goals you can right now achieve only
    with security=share, please tell so.

    > About what I asked first in my email, could you please help me with
    > something?

    We would need a debug level 10 log of Vista attempting to
    access that share. And, please be aware that you should use
    3.0.30 (you did not state which Samba version you're using).

    > I apologize if I should not ask these type of things in this list, but I
    > am really stuck and I don't know how to go forward.

    No, this list is fine.

    Volker

  5. Re: Seeing SAMBA in embedded device from vista

    > On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 01:28:51PM +0200, Rubén Lagar wrote:
    >
    >> I have read everywhere that
    >>
    >> security=user
    >>
    >> is preferred by developers and recommended, but I have not found any way
    >> to achieve the same effect. If I use that option, Vista always is asking
    >> me for an username and a password, so then people who wants to use my
    >> device has to know those params. I have looked for a solution in google
    >> and in mail archives, but I have not found anything. Maybe it is a
    >> newbie question, but that is what I am.
    >>

    > Assuming your goal is a completely unsecure, fully open to
    > everyone server, you might try several options:
    >
    > map to guest = bad password
    >
    > or a little more sophisticated
    >
    > username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    >
    > where /etc/samba/smbusers contains
    >
    > guest = *
    >
    > If you have any other goals you can right now achieve only
    > with security=share, please tell so.

    I guess that is my goal. I will try it and let you know, thanks!!

    >> About what I asked first in my email, could you please help me with
    >> something?
    >>

    > We would need a debug level 10 log of Vista attempting to
    > access that share. And, please be aware that you should use
    > 3.0.30 (you did not state which Samba version you're using)

    The real device name is IDLNX32, not MYDEVICE (I used MYDEVICE in my
    email just like an example). So, when I try to access the embedded
    device from Vista via \\IDLNX32, there is just one log file growing, it
    is log.nmbd. There are 2 other files, but they don't register any line
    in debug level 10.

    The lines that nmbd register are:

    [1970/01/01 01:23:44, 4]
    nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:find_workgroup_on_subnet(171)
    find_workgroup_on_subnet: workgroup search for WORKGROUP on subnet
    1.1.1.1: found.
    [1970/01/01 01:23:44, 10]
    nmbd/nmbd_sendannounce.c:announce_myself_to_domain_mast er_browser(382)
    announce_myself_to_domain_master_browser: t (5014) - last(4903) < 900
    [1970/01/01 01:23:44, 4] nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:dump_workgroups(282)
    dump_workgroups()
    dump workgroup on subnet 1.1.1.1: netmask= 255.255.255.0:
    WORKGROUP(1) current master browser = UNKNOWN
    IDLNX32 40819a03 (Samba Server)
    [1970/01/01 01:23:44, 4] nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:dump_workgroups(282)
    dump_workgroups()
    dump workgroup on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET: netmask= 1.1.1.1:
    WORKGROUP(1) current master browser = UNKNOWN
    IDLNX32 40819a03 (Samba Server)
    [1970/01/01 01:23:44, 4]
    nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:find_workgroup_on_subnet(171)
    find_workgroup_on_subnet: workgroup search for WORKGROUP on subnet
    UNICAST_SUBNET: found.
    [1970/01/01 01:23:44, 4]
    nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:find_workgroup_on_subnet(171)
    find_workgroup_on_subnet: workgroup search for WORKGROUP on subnet
    UNICAST_SUBNET: found.
    [1970/01/01 01:23:54, 4]
    nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:find_workgroup_on_subnet(171)
    find_workgroup_on_subnet: workgroup search for WORKGROUP on subnet
    1.1.1.1: found.
    [1970/01/01 01:23:54, 10]
    nmbd/nmbd_sendannounce.c:announce_myself_to_domain_mast er_browser(382)
    announce_myself_to_domain_master_browser: t (5024) - last(4903) < 900
    [1970/01/01 01:23:54, 4] nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:dump_workgroups(282)
    dump_workgroups()
    dump workgroup on subnet 1.1.1.1: netmask= 255.255.255.0:
    WORKGROUP(1) current master browser = UNKNOWN
    IDLNX32 40819a03 (Samba Server)
    [1970/01/01 01:23:54, 4] nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:dump_workgroups(282)
    dump_workgroups()
    dump workgroup on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET: netmask= 1.1.1.1:
    WORKGROUP(1) current master browser = UNKNOWN
    IDLNX32 40819a03 (Samba Server)
    [1970/01/01 01:23:54, 4]
    nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:find_workgroup_on_subnet(171)
    find_workgroup_on_subnet: workgroup search for WORKGROUP on subnet
    UNICAST_SUBNET: found.
    [1970/01/01 01:23:54, 4]
    nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:find_workgroup_on_subnet(171)
    find_workgroup_on_subnet: workgroup search for WORKGROUP on subnet
    UNICAST_SUBNET: found.
    [1970/01/01 01:24:04, 4]
    nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:find_workgroup_on_subnet(171)
    find_workgroup_on_subnet: workgroup search for WORKGROUP on subnet
    1.1.1.1: found.
    [1970/01/01 01:24:04, 10]
    nmbd/nmbd_sendannounce.c:announce_myself_to_domain_mast er_browser(382)
    announce_myself_to_domain_master_browser: t (5034) - last(4903) < 900
    [1970/01/01 01:24:04, 4] nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:dump_workgroups(282)
    dump_workgroups()
    dump workgroup on subnet 1.1.1.1: netmask= 255.255.255.0:
    WORKGROUP(1) current master browser = UNKNOWN
    IDLNX32 40819a03 (Samba Server)
    [1970/01/01 01:24:04, 4] nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:dump_workgroups(282)
    dump_workgroups()
    dump workgroup on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET: netmask= 1.1.1.1:
    WORKGROUP(1) current master browser = UNKNOWN
    IDLNX32 40819a03 (Samba Server)
    [1970/01/01 01:24:04, 4]
    nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:find_workgroup_on_subnet(171)
    find_workgroup_on_subnet: workgroup search for WORKGROUP on subnet
    UNICAST_SUBNET: found.
    [1970/01/01 01:24:04, 4]
    nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:find_workgroup_on_subnet(171)
    find_workgroup_on_subnet: workgroup search for WORKGROUP on subnet
    UNICAST_SUBNET: found.
    [1970/01/01 01:24:14, 4]
    nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:find_workgroup_on_subnet(171)
    find_workgroup_on_subnet: workgroup search for WORKGROUP on subnet
    1.1.1.1: found.
    [1970/01/01 01:24:14, 10]
    nmbd/nmbd_sendannounce.c:announce_myself_to_domain_mast er_browser(382)
    announce_myself_to_domain_master_browser: t (5044) - last(4903) < 900
    [1970/01/01 01:24:14, 4] nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:dump_workgroups(282)
    dump_workgroups()
    dump workgroup on subnet 1.1.1.1: netmask= 255.255.255.0:
    WORKGROUP(1) current master browser = UNKNOWN
    IDLNX32 40819a03 (Samba Server)
    [1970/01/01 01:24:14, 4] nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:dump_workgroups(282)
    dump_workgroups()
    dump workgroup on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET: netmask= 1.1.1.1:
    WORKGROUP(1) current master browser = UNKNOWN
    IDLNX32 40819a03 (Samba Server)
    [1970/01/01 01:24:14, 4]
    nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:find_workgroup_on_subnet(171)
    find_workgroup_on_subnet: workgroup search for WORKGROUP on subnet
    UNICAST_SUBNET: found.
    [1970/01/01 01:24:14, 4]
    nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:find_workgroup_on_subnet(171)
    find_workgroup_on_subnet: workgroup search for WORKGROUP on subnet
    UNICAST_SUBNET: found.

    As I can see, it is complaining that "current master browser = UNKNOWN".
    I have also tried including
    local master = yes
    os level = 33
    preferred master = yes

    in my config file. But it is neither working that way

[...]

  6. Re: Seeing SAMBA in embedded device from vista

    On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 05:07:10PM +0200, Rubén Lagar wrote:
    > The real device name is IDLNX32, not MYDEVICE (I used MYDEVICE in my
    > email just like an example). So, when I try to access the embedded
    > device from Vista via \\IDLNX32, there is just one log file growing, it
    > is log.nmbd. There are 2 other files, but they don't register any line
    > in debug level 10.

    This looks like a name resolution problem in Vista. You need
    to sniff what the Vista box is doing.

    Volker

  7. Re: Seeing SAMBA in embedded device from vista

    Thank you!!!

    The problem is now solved. Following your advice, I got to use a network
    sniffer, and found what was happening. The local network was badly
    configured in the device, so broadcast address was not the same that in
    the host machine.

    I know that this is not a samba problem, but I thought it was, and I was
    really stuck and needed some input to go forward.

    Thank you again!

    --

    *Rubén Lagar Ferreiro*

    *Project Leader*

    *VaniOs*

    C/Cronos 20, Bloque II, 1º-13

    28037 Madrid

    Spain

    Tel: +34 91 375 17 74

    Fax:+34 91 375 17 74

    Email: _ruben.lagar@vanios.es _

    *Por favor, antes de imprimir este mensaje, asegúrate de que es
    necesario. Ayudemos a cuidar el medio ambiente.*

    /Este mensaje de correo electrónico y sus documentos adjuntos están
    dirigidos EXCLUSIVAMENTE a los destinatarios especificados. La
    información contenida puede ser CONFIDENCIAL y/o estar LEGALMENTE
    PROTEGIDA y no necesariamente refleja la opinión de //VaniOs//. Si usted
    recibe este mensaje por ERROR, por favor comuníqueselo inmediatamente al
    remitente y ELIMÍNELO ya que usted NO ESTA AUTORIZADO al uso,
    revelación, distribución, impresión o copia de toda o alguna parte de la
    información contenida. //Gracias./

    /This e-mail message and any attached files are intended SOLELY for the
    addressee/s identified herein. It may contain CONFIDENTIAL and/or
    LEGALLY PRIVILEGED information and may not necessarily represent the
    opinion of //VaniOs//. If you receive this message in ERROR, please
    immediately notify the sender and DELETE it since you ARE NOT AUTHORIZED
    to use, disclose, distribute, print or copy all or part of the contained
    information. //Thank// //you//./

+ Reply to Thread