[Samba] password reset after SSH login - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] password reset after SSH login - Samba ; I am using Samba Version 3.0.28a on a Ubuntu Hardy server 2.6.24-18. Samba is configured to be a standalone server with user security, so I've accounts both in linux and in samba. The passdb backend is tdbsam. The linux user ...

  1. [Samba] password reset after SSH login

    I am using Samba Version 3.0.28a on a Ubuntu Hardy server 2.6.24-18.
    Samba is configured to be a standalone server with user security, so
    I've accounts both in linux and in samba. The passdb backend is tdbsam.

    The linux user and the Samba user have different passwords and unix
    password sync is set to no.

    So far so good. I'm able to connect shares on the Samba server without
    problem until I login as the linux user with SSH. After that the
    password of the Samba user has been reset to the one of the linux user.

    This is not what I want to happen. Is there anything I could set to
    prevent this?

    --
    Max

    Open Source is an ode to common sense

  2. Re: [Samba] password reset after SSH login

    Max schreef:
    > I am using Samba Version 3.0.28a on a Ubuntu Hardy server 2.6.24-18.
    > Samba is configured to be a standalone server with user security, so
    > I've accounts both in linux and in samba. The passdb backend is tdbsam.
    >
    > The linux user and the Samba user have different passwords and unix
    > password sync is set to no.
    >
    > So far so good. I'm able to connect shares on the Samba server without
    > problem until I login as the linux user with SSH. After that the
    > password of the Samba user has been reset to the one of the linux user.
    >
    > This is not what I want to happen. Is there anything I could set to
    > prevent this?

    Was it a stupid question or didn't I confirm to some protocol. Or more
    unlikely doesn't anybody know an answer or worse: does it work as designed?

    Let me ask another question: why would anybody use smbpasswd if samba
    uses passwd?

    --
    Max

    Open Source is an ode to common sense

  3. Re: [Samba] password reset after SSH login

    (bump for whose who google first)

    try to disable "migrate" in /etc/pam.d/common-auth

    Code:
    # and here are more per-package modules (the "Additional" block)
    #auth   optional                        pam_smbpass.so migrate
    auth   optional                        pam_smbpass.so
    migrate Only meaningful in an “auth” context; used to update smbpasswd file with a password used for successful authentication.

+ Reply to Thread