[Samba] Multiple Samba Instances: Cannot set private dir and lockdirectory in smb.conf - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Multiple Samba Instances: Cannot set private dir and lockdirectory in smb.conf - Samba ; Hi, four years ago someone has tried to run two independent instances of samba on one machine: http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba...st/091500.html I would like to do that, too. Are there still hardcoded file locations, that cannot be overwritten in smb.conf? My samba version: ...

  1. [Samba] Multiple Samba Instances: Cannot set private dir and lockdirectory in smb.conf

    Hi,

    four years ago someone has tried to run two independent instances of
    samba on one machine:
    http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba...st/091500.html

    I would like to do that, too.
    Are there still hardcoded file locations, that cannot be overwritten in
    smb.conf?

    My samba version: 3.0.28a

    These parameters in my /var/samba/etc/smb_SMBTEST1.conf do not help:

    log file = /var/log/samba/SMBTEST1/log.%m

    pid directory = /var/run/samba/SMBTEST1
    lock directory = /var/run/samba/SMBTEST1
    private dir = /var/run/samba/SMBTEST1

    It is possible to run more than one instance. I did not find out any
    interference, yet. But they still access the same files in the standard
    encoded path:

    ps faxl

    F UID PID PPID PRI NI VSZ RSS WCHAN STAT TTY TIME COMMAND
    5 0 25288 1 20 0 54968 1156 - Ss ? 0:00
    /usr/sbin/nmbd -D -s /var/samba/etc/smb_SMBTEST1.conf
    5 0 25290 1 20 0 77604 3004 - Ss ? 0:00
    /usr/sbin/smbd -D -s /var/samba/etc/smb_SMBTEST1.conf
    1 0 25294 25290 20 0 77604 1420 pause S ? 0:00 \_
    /usr/sbin/smbd -D -s /var/samba/etc/smb_SMBTEST1.conf

    ls -la /proc/25288/fd
    total 0
    dr-x------ 2 root root 0 2008-06-11 13:49 .
    dr-xr-xr-x 6 root root 0 2008-06-11 13:49 ..
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 0 -> /dev/null
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 1 -> /dev/null
    l-wx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 2 ->
    /var/log/samba/SMBTEST1/log.nmbd
    l-wx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 4 ->
    /var/run/samba/SMBTEST1/nmbd-smb_SMBTEST1.conf.pid
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 5 -> /var/run/samba/messages.tdb
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 6 -> socket:[49952]
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 7 -> socket:[49953]
    l-wx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 14:48 8 ->
    /var/log/samba/SMBTEST1/log.nmbd

    ls -la /proc/25290/fd
    total 0
    dr-x------ 2 root root 0 2008-06-11 13:49 .
    dr-xr-xr-x 6 root root 0 2008-06-11 13:49 ..
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 0 -> /dev/null
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 1 -> /dev/null
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 10 ->
    /var/run/samba/connections.tdb
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 11 -> /var/run/samba/brlock.tdb
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 12 -> /var/run/samba/locking.tdb
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 13 -> /var/run/samba/gencache.tdb
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 14 ->
    /var/lib/samba/ntdrivers.tdb
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 15 ->
    /var/cache/samba/login_cache.tdb
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 16 ->
    /var/lib/samba/account_policy.tdb
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 17 ->
    /var/lib/samba/ntprinters.tdb
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 18 -> /var/lib/samba/ntforms.tdb
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 19 -> socket:[49976]
    l-wx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 2 ->
    /var/log/samba/SMBTEST1/log.smbd
    lr-x------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 20 -> pipe:[49984]
    l-wx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 21 -> pipe:[49984]
    lr-x------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 3 -> /dev/urandom
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 4 -> /var/lib/samba/secrets.tdb
    l-wx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 5 ->
    /var/log/samba/SMBTEST1/log.smbd
    l-wx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 6 ->
    /var/run/samba/SMBTEST1/smbd-smb_SMBTEST1.conf.pid
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 7 -> /var/run/samba/messages.tdb
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 8 -> socket:[49961]
    lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-06-11 13:49 9 -> /var/run/samba/sessionid.tdb

    As well as samba first logs into /var/log/samba/log.nmbd and then
    continues with /var/log/samba/SMBTEST1/log.nmbd.

    I would not like to compile samba new, as I do not like separate
    binaries for each instance.

    Ideas wellcome.

    Thanks
    Christian

  2. [Samba] Multiple Samba Instances: Is it possible to share *.tdbfiles?

  3. Re: [Samba] Multiple Samba Instances: Is it possible to share *.tdbfiles?