[Samba] WINS server looses election irregular in a heterogeneous network - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] WINS server looses election irregular in a heterogeneous network - Samba ; Dear Samba-Users, I have to administer a Samba WINS Server in a heterogenous network. It's a student hostel with about 200 mixed (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X) computers. We have a DHCP, which delivers the WINS-Server address to the clients. ...

  1. [Samba] WINS server looses election irregular in a heterogeneous network

    Dear Samba-Users,

    I have to administer a Samba WINS Server in a heterogenous network. It's a
    student hostel with about 200 mixed (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X) computers. We
    have a DHCP, which delivers the WINS-Server address to the clients. I don't
    have access to the clients.

    The problem is, that the WINS-Server (Samba 3.0.27) looses the
    Master-Browser election irregulary. I can't configure Samba a way, that
    it keeps the MSB.

    Example from the log.nmbd:

    ===
    [2008/06/09 22:15:45, 0]
    nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.crocess_local_master_announce(309)
    process_local_master_announce: Server GUERO at IP 10.0.80.221 is announcing
    itself as a local master browser for workgroup WODANLAN and we think we are
    master. Forcing election.
    [2008/06/09 22:15:45, 2]
    nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_browser(28 0)
    unbecome_local_master_browser: unbecoming local master for workgroup
    WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5
    [2008/06/09 22:15:45, 0]
    nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(14 9)
    *****

    Samba name server SHODAN has stopped being a local master browser for
    workgroup WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5

    *****
    ===

    SHODAN is the name of the server. Today it's GUERO, who is winning the
    election. Yesterday, it was another computer.

    When I restart the smbd/nmdb it wins the election and the network browsing
    operates normally. Is there any way to be sure, that SHODAN keeps the MSB?

    At the moment I have a cron, which restarts the smb-server every 30 minutes,
    so that it wins the election and becomes the MSB, but that's really a nasty
    thing.

    This is my configuration:

    smb.conf:
    ===
    [global]
    workgroup = WODANLAN
    netbios name = Shodan
    server string = Wodanlan Master Browser
    hosts allow = 10.0.80.
    log level = 2

    domain master = yes
    local master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    enhanced browsing = Yes
    os level = 255

    wins support = yes
    dns proxy = no
    ===

    Can you help me?

    Thank you very much
    Timo Meinen
    timomeinen@googlemail.com

  2. Re: [Samba] WINS server looses election irregular in a heterogeneous network

    Have you tried setting your "announce version" instead of just
    manipulating OS level?

    announce version = 4.9 is the default, which is less than XP for example.

    Perhaps an "announce version = 5.3" would solve your problem, I dunno.

    --Charlie

    On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 4:52 AM, Timo Meinen wrote:
    > Dear Samba-Users,
    >
    > I have to administer a Samba WINS Server in a heterogenous network. It's a
    > student hostel with about 200 mixed (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X) computers. We
    > have a DHCP, which delivers the WINS-Server address to the clients. I don't
    > have access to the clients.
    >
    > The problem is, that the WINS-Server (Samba 3.0.27) looses the
    > Master-Browser election irregulary. I can't configure Samba a way, that
    > it keeps the MSB.
    >
    > Example from the log.nmbd:
    >
    > ===
    > [2008/06/09 22:15:45, 0]
    > nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.crocess_local_master_announce(309)
    > process_local_master_announce: Server GUERO at IP 10.0.80.221 is announcing
    > itself as a local master browser for workgroup WODANLAN and we think we are
    > master. Forcing election.
    > [2008/06/09 22:15:45, 2]
    > nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_browser(28 0)
    > unbecome_local_master_browser: unbecoming local master for workgroup
    > WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5
    > [2008/06/09 22:15:45, 0]
    > nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(14 9)
    > *****
    >
    > Samba name server SHODAN has stopped being a local master browser for
    > workgroup WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5
    >
    > *****
    > ===
    >
    > SHODAN is the name of the server. Today it's GUERO, who is winning the
    > election. Yesterday, it was another computer.
    >
    > When I restart the smbd/nmdb it wins the election and the network browsing
    > operates normally. Is there any way to be sure, that SHODAN keeps the MSB?
    >
    > At the moment I have a cron, which restarts the smb-server every 30 minutes,
    > so that it wins the election and becomes the MSB, but that's really a nasty
    > thing.
    >
    > This is my configuration:
    >
    > smb.conf:
    > ===
    > [global]
    > workgroup = WODANLAN
    > netbios name = Shodan
    > server string = Wodanlan Master Browser
    > hosts allow = 10.0.80.
    > log level = 2
    >
    > domain master = yes
    > local master = yes
    > preferred master = yes
    > enhanced browsing = Yes
    > os level = 255
    >
    > wins support = yes
    > dns proxy = no
    > ===
    >
    > Can you help me?
    >
    > Thank you very much
    > Timo Meinen
    > timomeinen@googlemail.com
    > --

  3. Re: [Samba] WINS server looses election irregular in a heterogeneous network

    Dear Charlie,

    thank you for the tip of setting "announce version" to keep Master Browser.
    But it just keeps Master Browser for 6 hours. This is the nmb-log:

    ===

    [2008/06/19 23:51:00, 2] nmbd/nmbd_elections.c:run_elections(204)
    run_elections: >>> Won election for workgroup WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5<<<
    [2008/06/19 23:51:00, 2]
    nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_browser(525)
    become_local_master_browser: Awaiting potential browser state. Current
    state is 4
    [2008/06/19 23:51:09, 0]
    nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.crocess_local_master_announce(309)
    process_local_master_announce: Server ERSTER at IP 10.0.80.219 is
    announcing itself as a local master browser for workgroup WODANLAN and we
    think we are master. Forcing election.
    [2008/06/19 23:51:09, 2]
    nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_browser(28 0)
    unbecome_local_master_browser: unbecoming local master for workgroup
    WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5
    [2008/06/19 23:51:09, 0]
    nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(14 9)
    *****

    Samba name server SHODAN has stopped being a local master browser for
    workgroup WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5

    *****
    [2008/06/19 23:51:11, 2] nmbd/nmbd_elections.c:send_election_dgram(41)
    send_election_dgram: Sending election packet for workgroup WODANLAN on
    subnet 10.0.80.5

    ===

    Do you have any other ideas? I don't understand why the election is won when
    the server is restarted, but why it is lost, when it keeps a few hours
    online.

    Best regards,

    Timo

    2008/6/12, Charlie :

> [...]

    > > WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5
    > > [2008/06/09 22:15:45, 0]
    > > nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(14 9)
    > > *****
    > >
    > > Samba name server SHODAN has stopped being a local master browser for
    > > workgroup WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5
    > >
    > > *****
    > > ===
    > >
    > > SHODAN is the name of the server. Today it's GUERO, who is winning the
    > > election. Yesterday, it was another computer.
    > >
    > > When I restart the smbd/nmdb it wins the election and the network

    > browsing
    > > operates normally. Is there any way to be sure, that SHODAN keeps the

    > MSB?
    > >
    > > At the moment I have a cron, which restarts the smb-server every 30

    > minutes,
    > > so that it wins the election and becomes the MSB, but that's really a

    Glück Auf
    Timo

  4. Re: [Samba] WINS server looses election irregular in a heterogeneous network

    Hallo, Timo,

    Du (timomeinen) meintest am 11.06.08:

    > ===
    > [2008/06/09 22:15:45, 0]
    > nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.crocess_local_master_announce(309)
    > process_local_master_announce: Server GUERO at IP 10.0.80.221 is
    > announcing itself as a local master browser for workgroup WODANLAN
    > and we think we are master. Forcing election.
    > [2008/06/09 22:15:45, 2]
    > nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_browser(28 0)
    > unbecome_local_master_browser: unbecoming local master for workgroup
    > WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5
    > [2008/06/09 22:15:45, 0]
    > nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(14 9)
    > *****

    > Samba name server SHODAN has stopped being a local master browser for
    > workgroup WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5

    What kind of OS runs on 10.0.80.221?
    If it's Linux, and if there runs a Samba server too: which OS level has
    that server?

    Viele Gruesse!
    Helmut

  5. [Samba] Re: WINS server looses election irregular in a heterogeneous network

    Hallo Helmut,

    I am pretty sure the IP 221 is a Windows PC, but it doesn't really
    matter, because may be a week it is IP 123, who is winning the
    election, another week it's 213 who is winning and so on.

    We found out, that its always a Windows PC, which is announcing itself
    as a Master Browser.

    It's really curious, because if I restart "my" samba server, it
    _always_ wins the election. The problem arises, if the samba server is
    some hours online.

    Is it an unavoidable problem, which exists in an heterogenous
    Win/Linux network or is my samba misconfigured?

    Thank you very much.

    Glück Auf,
    Timo

    To: samba@lists.samba.org
    Date: 20 Jun 2008 06:22:00 +0200
    Subject: Re: [Samba] WINS server looses election irregular in a
    heterogeneous network
    Hallo, Timo,

    Du (timomeinen) meintest am 11.06.08:

    > ===
    > [2008/06/09 22:15:45, 0]
    > nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.crocess_local_master_announce(309)
    > process_local_master_announce: Server GUERO at IP 10.0.80.221 is
    > announcing itself as a local master browser for workgroup WODANLAN
    > and we think we are master. Forcing election.
    > [2008/06/09 22:15:45, 2]
    > nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_browser(28 0)
    > unbecome_local_master_browser: unbecoming local master for workgroup
    > WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5
    > [2008/06/09 22:15:45, 0]
    > nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(14 9)
    > *****

    > Samba name server SHODAN has stopped being a local master browser for
    > workgroup WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5

    What kind of OS runs on 10.0.80.221?
    If it's Linux, and if there runs a Samba server too: which OS level has
    that server?

    Viele Gruesse!
    Helmut

  6. Re: [Samba] Re: WINS server looses election irregular in a heterogeneous network

    On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Timo Meinen wrote:
    > Hallo Helmut,
    >

    > It's really curious, because if I restart "my" samba server, it
    > _always_ wins the election. The problem arises, if the samba server is
    > some hours online.

    Same issue.

    I put the following in cron:

    #!/bin/sh
    PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin
    nmblookup -M -- - 2>&1 | grep "IP address of my samba server" >/dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? != 0 ]; then
    nmblookup -M -- -|mail -s "Force master browser election" "my email"
    /usr/bin/smbcontrol nmbd force-election
    fi

    The smbcontrol command has the same effect as restarting samba
    (election is won).

    Then I tell the person using the PC I see in the email to turn off the
    "browser" service in his/her XP to avoid the same issue in the future.

    --
    giulioo@pobox.com

  7. Re: [Samba] Re: WINS server looses election irregular in a heterogeneous network

    Dear Giulio,

    thank you for the script. I will use it to "solve" my problem. I
    searched for a command, which restarts an election.

    Although it's not really a good solution, it is much better than my
    cron-samba-restart.

    Best regards,
    Timo

    > Same issue.
    >
    > I put the following in cron:
    >
    > #!/bin/sh
    > PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin
    > nmblookup -M -- - 2>&1 | grep "IP address of my samba server" >/dev/null 2>&1
    > if [ $? != 0 ]; then
    > nmblookup -M -- -|mail -s "Force master browser election" "my email"
    > /usr/bin/smbcontrol nmbd force-election
    > fi
    >
    > The smbcontrol command has the same effect as restarting samba
    > (election is won).
    >
    > Then I tell the person using the PC I see in the email to turn off the
    > "browser" service in his/her XP to avoid the same issue in the future.
    >

    > --
    > giulioo@pobox.com
    >
    > --

    Glück Auf