[ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0rc2 - Samba

  1. [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0rc2

    =================================
    Release Notes for Samba 3.2.0rc2
    June 10, 2008
    =================================

    This is the second release candidate of Samba 3.2.0. This is *not*
    intended for production environments and is designed for testing
    purposes only. Please report any defects via the Samba bug reporting
    system at https://bugzilla.samba.org/.

    Please be aware that Samba is now distributed under the version 3
    of the new GNU General Public License. You may refer to the COPYING
    file that accompanies these release notes for further licensing details.

    Major enhancements in Samba 3.2.0 include:

    File Serving:
    o Use of IDL generated parsing layer for several DCE/RPC
    interfaces.
    o Removal of the 1024 byte limit on pathnames and 256 byte limit on
    filename components to honor the MAX_PATH setting from the host OS.
    o Introduction of a registry based configuration system.
    o Improved CIFS Unix Extensions support.
    o Experimental support for file serving clusters.
    o Support for IPv6 in the server, and client tools and libraries.
    o Support for storing alternate data streams in xattrs.
    o Encrypted SMB transport in client tools and libraries, and server.
    o Support for Vista clients authenticating via Kerberos.

    Winbind and Active Directory Integration:
    o Full support for Windows 2003 cross-forest, transitive trusts
    and one-way domain trusts.
    o Support for userPrincipalName logons via pam_winbind and NSS
    lookups.
    o Expansion of nested domain groups via NSS calls.
    o Support for Active Directory LDAP Signing policy.
    o New LGPL Winbind client library (libwbclient.so).
    o Support for establishing interdomain trust relationships with
    Windows 2008.

    Joining:
    o New NetApi library for domain join related queries (libnetapi.so)
    and example GTK+ Domain join gui.
    o New client and server support for remotely joining and unjoining
    Domains.
    o Support for joining into Windows 2008 domains.

    Users & Groups:
    o New ldb backend for local group mapping tables
    o Raised level of security defaults for authentication operations.
    o New NetApi library for user account related queries.

    Documentation:
    o Inclusion of an HTML version of the 3rd edition of "Using Samba"
    from O'Reilly Publishing.

    Now Licensed under the GNU GPLv3
    ================================

    The Samba Team has adopted the Version 3 of the GNU General Public
    License for the 3.2 and later releases. The GPLv3 is the updated
    version of the GPLv2 license under which Samba is currently
    distributed. It has been updated to improve compatibility with other
    licenses and to make it easier to adopt internationally, and is an
    improved version of the license to better suit the needs of Free
    Software in the 21st Century.

    The original announcement is available on-line at

    http://news.samba.org/announcements/samba_gplv3/

    New Security Defaults for Authentication

    Support for LanMan passwords is now disabled in both client and server
    applications. Additionally, clear text authentication requests are
    disabled by default in client utilities such as smbclient and all
    libsmbclient based applications. This will affect connection both
    to and from hosts running DOS, Windows 9x/ME, and OS/2. Please refer
    to the "Changes" section for details on the exact parameters that were
    updated.

    Registry Configuration Backend
    ==============================

    Samba is now able to use a registry based configuration backed to
    supplement smb.conf settings. This feature may be enabled by setting
    "config backend = registry" in the [global] section of smb.conf for a
    registry only configuration, or by specifying "include = registry" to
    include global options from registry for a mixed setup.

    The new parameter "registry shares = yes" in the [global] section of
    smb.conf can be used to activate share definitions from registry.
    These shares are loaded on demand by the server. Registry shares are
    automatically activated by the global registry options above.

    The configuration stored in registry can be conveniently managed using
    the "net conf" command.

    More information may be obtained from the smb.conf(5) and net(8) man
    pages.

    Removed Features
    ================

    Both the Python bindings and the libmsrpc shared library have been
    removed from the tree due to lack of an official maintainer.

    As smbfs is no longer supported in current kernel versions, smbmount has
    been removed in this Samba version. Please use cifs (mount.cifs) instead.
    See examples/scripts/mount/mount.smbfs as an example for a wrapper which
    calls mount.cifs instead of smbmount/mount.smbfs.

    Modified API for libsmbclient

    Maintaining ABI compatibility for libsmbclient has become increasingly
    difficult to accomplish, while also keeping the code organization such that it
    is easily readable. Towards the goal of maintaining ABI compatibility and
    also keeping the code easy to maintain and enhance, the API has been enhanced.
    In particular, the fields in the SMBCCTX context structure are no longer
    intended to be read/write by the user, and are marked as deprecated. An
    application that previously accessed the members of the SMBCCTX context
    structure will now encounter warnings if recompiled. This is intentional, to
    encourage implementation of the small changes required for the new interface.
    The number of changes is expected to be quite small for the vast majority of
    applications, and no changes need be made for many applications. The changes
    required for KDE (konqueror) to conform to the new interface, for example, are
    only four lines in only one file.

    Instead of the application manually changing or reading values in the context
    structure, there are now setter and getter functions for each configurable
    member in that structure. Similarly, the smbc_option_get() and
    smbc_option_set() functions are deprecated in favor of the setter/getter
    interface. The setters and getters are all documented in libsmbclient.h
    under these comment blocks:

    Getters and setters for CONFIGURATION
    Getters and setters for OPTIONS
    Getters and setters for FUNCTIONS
    Callable functions for files
    Callable functions for directories
    Callable functions applicable to both files and directories

    Example changes that may be required to eliminate "deprecated" warnings:

    /* Set the debug level */
    context->debug = 99;
    changes to:
    smbc_setDebug(context, 99);

    /* Specify the authentication callback function */
    context->callbacks.auth_fn = auth_smbc_get_data;
    changes to:
    smbc_setFunctionAuthData(context, auth_smbc_get_data);

    /* Specify the new-style authentication callback with context parameter */
    smbc_option_set("auth_function", auth_smbc_get_data_with_ctx);
    changes to:
    smbc_setFunctionAuthDataWithContext(context, auth_smbc_get_data_with_ctx);

    /* Set kerberos flags */
    context->flags = (SMB_CTX_FLAG_USE_KERBEROS |
    SMB_CTX_FLAG_FALLBACK_AFTER_KERBEROS);
    changes to:
    smbc_setOptionUseKerberos(context, 1);
    smbc_setOptionFallbackAfterKerberos(context, 1);

    ================
    Download Details
    ================

    The uncompressed tarballs and patch files have been signed
    using GnuPG (ID 6568B7EA). The source code can be downloaded
    from:

    http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/rc/

    The release notes are available online at:

    http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/rc/WHATSNEW-3-2-0rc2.txt

    Binary packages will be made available on a volunteer basis from

    http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/

    Our Code, Our Bugs, Our Responsibility.
    (https://bugzilla.samba.org/)

    --Enjoy
    The Samba Team

  2. Re: [Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0rc2

    Karolin Seeger wrote:
    > Documentation:
    > o Inclusion of an HTML version of the 3rd edition of "Using Samba"
    > from O'Reilly Publishing.

    Am I missing something or the version of "Using Samba" included in the
    samba-3.2.0rc2.tar.gz package is in fact still version 2?

    Thank you for your good work with Samba.

    Checked by AVG.

  3. Re: [Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0rc2

    Hi Miguel,

    On Di, Jun 10, 2008 at 11:30:02 +0100, Miguel Medalha wrote:
    > Am I missing something or the version of "Using Samba" included in the
    > samba-3.2.0rc2.tar.gz package is in fact still version 2?

    That will be fixed until the final release.
    Thank you very much for the hint!

    Cheers,
    Karolin

    phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
    http://www.SerNet.DE, mailto: Info @ SerNet.DE

  4. Re: [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0rc2

    > This is the second release candidate of Samba 3.2.0. This is *not*

    Built without problem on Debian unstable.

    A 3.2.0rc2 package (2:3.2.0~rc2-1) was uploaded today in Debian
    experimental.

  5. Re: [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0rc2

    On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:38:34PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
    > Built without problem on Debian unstable.
    >
    > A 3.2.0rc2 package (2:3.2.0~rc2-1) was uploaded today in Debian
    > experimental.

    Great! :-)
    Thank you very much, Christian!

    Karolin

    phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
    http://www.SerNet.DE, mailto: Info @ SerNet.DE

  6. Re: [Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0rc2

    Karolin Seeger wrote:
    > Hi Miguel,
    >
    > On Di, Jun 10, 2008 at 11:30:02 +0100, Miguel Medalha wrote:
    >
    >> Am I missing something or the version of "Using Samba" included in the
    >> samba-3.2.0rc2.tar.gz package is in fact still version 2?
    >>

    > That will be fixed until the final release.
    > Thank you very much for the hint!

    As far as I can see, the version included in the final release is still
    version 2...

    Checked by AVG.

  7. Re: [Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0rc2

    Miguel,

    On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 07:46:48PM +0100, Miguel Medalha wrote:
    > As far as I can see, the version included in the final release is still
    > version 2...

    Sorry, I really tried to get the 3rd version in, but it did not work. It will be
    included in one of the following releases. It is not mentioned in the
    release notes any longer.

    Karolin

    phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
    http://www.SerNet.DE, mailto: Info @ SerNet.DE

+ Reply to Thread