[Samba] cant join the domain - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] cant join the domain - Samba ; PLZ HELPPP kinit is working fine, but "net join...." doesnt work here is the exact thing that i am trying to do : (running samba 3.0.26 hte preinstalled on fedora 8) (domain = shoubra.edu, pre-win200 domain = shoubra) ( or ...

  1. [Samba] cant join the domain

    PLZ HELPPP

    kinit is working fine, but "net join...." doesnt work

    here is the exact thing that i am trying to do :
    (running samba 3.0.26 hte preinstalled on fedora 8)
    (domain = shoubra.edu, pre-win200 domain = shoubra)
    ( or u can say : user4@shoubra.edu OR shoubra\user4)

    [root@linuxserver ~]# kinit user4
    Password for user4@SHOUBRA.EDU:
    [root@linuxserver ~]#

    [root@linuxserver ~]# net ads join -U Administrator
    [2008/06/07 17:33:20, 0]
    libads/kerberos.c:create_local_private_krb5_conf_for_doma in(596)
    create_local_private_krb5_conf_for_domain: failed to create
    directory /var/lib/samba/smb_krb5. Error was Permission denied
    Administrator's password:
    Failed to join domain: Operations error
    [root@linuxserver ~]#

    /// i am not sure but; i think that the error that comes before asking
    for the password is irreleavent

    [root@linuxserver ~]# net join -U Administrator
    [2008/06/07 17:34:12, 0]
    libads/kerberos.c:create_local_private_krb5_conf_for_doma in(596)
    create_local_private_krb5_conf_for_domain: failed to create
    directory /var/lib/samba/smb_krb5. Error was Permission denied
    Administrator's password:
    Failed to join domain: Operations error
    ADS join did not work, falling back to RPC...
    Unable to find a suitable server
    Unable to find a suitable server
    [root@linuxserver ~]#

    smb.conf

    [global]

    # ----------------------- Netwrok Related Options -------------------------
    #
    # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name, eg: MIDEARTH
    #
    # server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
    #
    # netbios name can be used to specify a server name not tied to the hostname
    #
    # Interfaces lets you configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
    # If you have multiple network interfaces then you can list the ones
    # you want to listen on (never omit localhost)
    #
    # Hosts Allow/Hosts Deny lets you restrict who can connect, and you can
    # specifiy it as a per share option as well
    #
    workgroup = SHOUBRA.EDU
    server string = Samba Server Version %v

    winbind enum users = yes
    winbind enum groups = yes
    winbind cache time = 10

    idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
    idmap gid = 16777216-33554431

    template shell = /bin/false

    winbind use default domain = false

    winbind offline logon = false

    netbios name = FeLinux

    ; interfaces = lo eth0 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24
    ; hosts allow = 127. 192.168.12. 192.168.13.

    # --------------------------- Logging Options -----------------------------
    #
    # Log File let you specify where to put logs and how to split them up.
    #
    # Max Log Size let you specify the max size log files should reach

    # logs split per machine
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    # max 50KB per log file, then rotate
    max log size = 50

    # ----------------------- Standalone Server Options ------------------------
    #
    # Scurity can be set to user, share(deprecated) or server(deprecated)
    #
    # Backend to store user information in. New installations should
    # use either tdbsam or ldapsam. smbpasswd is available for backwards
    # compatibility. tdbsam requires no further configuration.

    security = ads
    passdb backend = tdbsam

    # ----------------------- Domain Members Options ------------------------
    #
    # Security must be set to domain or ads
    #
    # Use the realm option only with security = ads
    # Specifies the Active Directory realm the host is part of
    #
    # Backend to store user information in. New installations should
    # use either tdbsam or ldapsam. smbpasswd is available for backwards
    # compatibility. tdbsam requires no further configuration.
    #
    # Use password server option only with security = server or if you can't
    # use the DNS to locate Domain Controllers
    # The argument list may include:
    # password server = My_PDC_Name [My_BDC_Name] [My_Next_BDC_Name]
    # or to auto-locate the domain controller/s
    # password server = *

    ; security = domain
    ; passdb backend = tdbsam
    realm = SHOUBRA.EDU

    password server = 192.168.21.248:88

    # ----------------------- Domain Controller Options ------------------------
    #
    # Security must be set to user for domain controllers
    #
    # Backend to store user information in. New installations should
    # use either tdbsam or ldapsam. smbpasswd is available for backwards
    # compatibility. tdbsam requires no further configuration.
    #
    # Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
    # allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
    # if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
    #
    # Domain Logons let Samba be a domain logon server for Windows workstations.
    #
    # Logon Scrpit let yuou specify a script to be run at login time on the client
    # You need to provide it in a share called NETLOGON
    #
    # Logon Path let you specify where user profiles are stored (UNC path)
    #
    # Various scripts can be used on a domain controller or stand-alone
    # machine to add or delete corresponding unix accounts
    #
    ; security = user
    ; passdb backend = tdbsam

    ; domain master = yes
    ; domain logons = yes

    # the login script name depends on the machine name
    ; logon script = %m.bat
    # the login script name depends on the unix user used
    ; logon script = %u.bat
    ; logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%u
    # disables profiles support by specifing an empty path
    ; logon path =

    ; add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd "%u" -n -g users
    ; add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd "%g"
    ; add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -n -c "Workstation (%u)" -M
    -d /nohome -s /bin/false "%u"
    ; delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel "%u"
    ; delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/userdel "%u" "%g"
    ; delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel "%g"

    # ----------------------- Browser Control Options ----------------------------
    #
    # set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
    # browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
    #
    # OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
    # elections. The default value should be reasonable
    #
    # Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
    # and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
    ; local master = no
    ; os level = 33
    ; preferred master = yes

    #----------------------------- Name Resolution -------------------------------
    # Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
    # Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
    #
    # - WINS Support: Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS Server
    #
    # - WINS Server: Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
    #
    # - WINS Proxy: Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
    # behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
    # at least one WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
    #
    # DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
    # via DNS nslookups.

    ; wins support = yes
    ; wins server = w.x.y.z
    ; wins proxy = yes

    ; dns proxy = yes

    # --------------------------- Printing Options -----------------------------
    #
    # Load Printers let you load automatically the list of printers rather
    # than setting them up individually
    #
    # Cups Options let you pass the cups libs custom options, setting it to raw
    # for example will let you use drivers on your Windows clients
    #
    # Printcap Name let you specify an alternative printcap file
    #
    # You can choose a non default printing system using the Printing option

    load printers = yes
    cups options = raw

    ; printcap name = /etc/printcap
    #obtain list of printers automatically on SystemV
    ; printcap name = lpstat
    ; printing = cups

    # --------------------------- Filesystem Options ---------------------------
    #
    # The following options can be uncommented if the filesystem supports
    # Extended Attributes and they are enabled (usually by the mount option
    # user_xattr). Thess options will let the admin store the DOS attributes
    # in an EA and make samba not mess with the permission bits.
    #
    # Note: these options can also be set just per share, setting them in global
    # makes them the default for all shares

    ; map archive = no
    ; map hidden = no
    ; map read only = no
    ; map system = no
    ; store dos attributes = yes

    #============================ Share Definitions ==============================

    ///////////////////// end of smb.con global section

    krb5.conf

    [logging]
    default = FILE:/var/log/krb5libs.log
    kdc = FILE:/var/log/krb5kdc.log

    [libdefaults]
    default_realm = SHOUBRA.EDU
    dns_lookup_realm = false
    dns_lookup_kdc = false
    ticket_lifetime = 24h
    forwardable = yes

    [realms]
    SHOUBRA.EDU = {
    kdc = 192.168.21.248:88
    admin_server = 192.168.21.248:749
    default_domain = shoubra.edu
    }

    [domain_realm]
    .shoubra.edu = SHOUBRA.EDU
    shoubra.edu = SHOUBRA.EDU

    [appdefaults]
    pam = {
    debug = false
    ticket_lifetime = 36000
    renew_lifetime = 36000
    forwardable = true
    krb4_convert = false
    }

  2. Re: [Samba] cant join the domain

    > [root@linuxserver ~]# net ads join -U Administrator
    > [2008/06/07 17:33:20, 0]
    > libads/kerberos.c:create_local_private_krb5_conf_for_doma in(596)
    > create_local_private_krb5_conf_for_domain: failed to create
    > directory /var/lib/samba/smb_krb5. Error was Permission denied

    Have you checked into this error? Does the folder exist? What are the
    permissions?

    John

  3. Fwd: [Samba] cant join the domain

    On 6/7/08, John Drescher wrote:
    > > [root@linuxserver ~]# net ads join -U Administrator
    > > [2008/06/07 17:33:20, 0]
    > > libads/kerberos.c:create_local_private_krb5_conf_for_doma in(596)
    > > create_local_private_krb5_conf_for_domain: failed to create
    > > directory /var/lib/samba/smb_krb5. Error was Permission denied
    > >

    > Have you checked into this error? Does the folder exist? What are the
    > permissions?
    >
    > John

    this error suddenlly stoped appearing :-/
    i only edited the permsision of the winbindd_privileged to 777
    it makes me think more that it is irreleavent
    however i am still not sure
    to be safe i will set the permision to readwrite to every one (permision =777)

    now all what happen is this: