[Samba] samba GPFS and HSM? - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] samba GPFS and HSM? - Samba ; Hi - I was wondering if any of you may be able to point me in the right direction. I am in the process of designing a fairly large fileserver solution in an MS Active directory environment. I have setup ...

  1. [Samba] samba GPFS and HSM?

    Hi -

    I was wondering if any of you may be able to point me in the right direction.

    I am in the process of designing a fairly large fileserver solution in an MS Active directory environment.

    I have setup and tested ctdb samba, however, after several discussions with a couple of my colleagues, i am now considering a more vanilla flavour of samba. The key features the solution requires are:

    CIFS protocol (with the best ntfs ACL support possible)
    GPFS (for many terabytes of data)
    HSM (specifically TSM)

    Questions:
    1. Does the samba version provided in the RHEL5 distro support migrated files (TSM HSM) and GPFS?
    2. Do the latest releases of samba (source code) support my requirements?
    - and, what options should be included when compiling from source?

    3. Or should i just stick with CTDB samba?

    Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated

    Best Regards

    Evan

  2. Re: [Samba] samba GPFS and HSM?

    On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 05:27:43PM +1000, e.koutsandreou@optusnet.com.au wrote:

    > I was wondering if any of you may be able to point me in the right direction.
    >
    > I am in the process of designing a fairly large fileserver
    > solution in an MS Active directory environment.
    >
    > I have setup and tested ctdb samba, however, after several
    > discussions with a couple of my colleagues, i am now
    > considering a more vanilla flavour of samba. The key
    > features the solution requires are:
    >
    > ? CIFS protocol (with the best ntfs ACL support possible)
    > ? GPFS (for many terabytes of data)
    > ? HSM (specifically TSM)
    >
    > Questions:
    > 1. Does the samba version provided in the RHEL5 distro support migrated files (TSM HSM) and GPFS?
    > 2. Do the latest releases of samba (source code) support my requirements?
    > - and, what options should be included when compiling from source?
    >
    > 3. Or should i just stick with CTDB samba?
    >
    > Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated

    You should really contact the Mainz FSCC team for
    information about this. samba/ctdb/gpfs/tsm & friends are
    developed and tested in that combination there.

    Volker

    P.S: I hope this is not taken as an abuse of this list for
    advertising, but you're really trying to combine Samba with
    deeply integrated IBM products :-)

  3. RE: [Samba] samba GPFS and HSM?

    Hi Volker,

    I hope my questions aren't seen as abuse. I am mentioning those products
    specifically because the client already makes use of them in production.

    I'll keep specific product names out of my future e-mails. Sorry I'm new to
    the samba list

    Evan

    > I was wondering if any of you may be able to point me in the right

    direction.

    > I am in the process of designing a fairly large fileserver
    > solution in an MS Active directory environment.
    >
    > I have setup and tested ctdb samba, however, after several
    > discussions with a couple of my colleagues, i am now
    > considering a more vanilla flavour of samba. The key
    > features the solution requires are:
    >
    > ? CIFS protocol (with the best ntfs ACL support possible)
    > ? GPFS (for many terabytes of data)
    > ? HSM (specifically TSM)
    >
    > Questions:
    > 1. Does the samba version provided in the RHEL5 distro support migrated

    files (TSM HSM) and GPFS?
    > 2. Do the latest releases of samba (source code) support my requirements?
    > - and, what options should be included when compiling from source?
    >
    > 3. Or should i just stick with CTDB samba?
    >
    > Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated

    You should really contact the Mainz FSCC team for
    information about this. samba/ctdb/gpfs/tsm & friends are
    developed and tested in that combination there.

    Volker

    P.S: I hope this is not taken as an abuse of this list for
    advertising, but you're really trying to combine Samba with
    deeply integrated IBM products :-)

  4. Re: [Samba] samba GPFS and HSM?

    On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 07:48:26PM +1000, Evan Koutsandreou wrote:
    > Hi Volker,
    >
    > I hope my questions aren't seen as abuse. I am mentioning those products
    > specifically because the client already makes use of them in production.
    >
    > I'll keep specific product names out of my future e-mails. Sorry I'm newto
    > the samba list

    No, you got me wrong :-)

    Your messages are fine, I just was saying that my pointing
    at the Mainz team might have been seen as problematic :-)

    Volker

+ Reply to Thread