[Samba] Can not connect to share for a particular user. - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Can not connect to share for a particular user. - Samba ; Hello I currently run a few samba servers one being used as a PDC. Today I added a user to the domain and for some reason I can not get it to connect to any of the shares but "home" ...

  1. [Samba] Can not connect to share for a particular user.

    Hello

    I currently run a few samba servers one being used as a PDC.

    Today I added a user to the domain and for some reason I can not get
    it to connect to any of the shares but "home" on the file server.

    % smbclient -U gregi //server3/public
    Password:
    Domain=[HYDRIX-MALVERN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28]
    tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

    However I can connect with :
    $ smbclient -U gregi //server3/gregi
    Password:
    Domain=[HYDRIX-MALVERN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28]
    smb: \>

    In the smb log file, I would see
    make_connection: connection to public denied due to security descriptor.

    when it successfully connects I see:
    aragorn (192.168.0.94) connect to service gregi initially as user
    gregi (uid=1084, gid=1084) (pid 88931)

    The share entry in smb.conf is:
    [public]
    comment = "Public folder"
    path = /data/home/public
    browseable = Yes
    writable = Yes
    force create mode = 0777
    force directory mode = 0777
    force group = public

    I'm at loss... Why would it connect for one share but not the other.

    A quick google for "connection to public denied due to security descriptor."
    mentioned some people deleting the .tdb file and restarting samba
    which I did, to no available.

    This user has been created the same way as all the other users on the PDC:
    smbpasswd -a gregi
    and then I enter the password

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. it's driving me nuts !

    Thanks in advance
    Jean-Yves

  2. [Samba] Re: Can not connect to share for a particular user.

    Hi again

    2008/6/5 Jean-Yves Avenard :
    > In the smb log file, I would see
    > make_connection: connection to public denied due to security descriptor.

    A thread bump...

    No one has ever faced this issue? any solutions by any chance?

    Thanks
    JY

  3. Re: [Samba] Re: Can not connect to share for a particular user.

    On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 12:48:44AM +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
    > 2008/6/5 Jean-Yves Avenard :
    > > In the smb log file, I would see
    > > make_connection: connection to public denied due to security descriptor.

    > A thread bump...
    >
    > No one has ever faced this issue? any solutions by any chance?

    Did you set access controls with the Windows server manager?
    If not, and the settings in your smb.conf are everything you
    need to control access to your shares, then you might want
    to delete share_info.tdb.

    Volker

  4. Re: [Samba] Re: Can not connect to share for a particular user.

    Hi

    Thanks for your help

    2008/6/7 Volker Lendecke :
    > Did you set access controls with the Windows server manager?

    no, I don't even know what that is

    > If not, and the settings in your smb.conf are everything you
    > need to control access to your shares, then you might want
    > to delete share_info.tdb.

    I already did ...
    didn't help

    Jean-Yves

  5. Re: [Samba] Re: Can not connect to share for a particular user.

    On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 06:42:12AM +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
    > 2008/6/7 Volker Lendecke :
    > > Did you set access controls with the Windows server manager?

    > no, I don't even know what that is
    >
    > > If not, and the settings in your smb.conf are everything you
    > > need to control access to your shares, then you might want
    > > to delete share_info.tdb.

    > I already did ...
    > didn't help

    This message "denied by security descriptor" is 100% that
    something is in your share_info.tdb. If deleting that did
    not help, I'm lost.

    Sorry,

    Volker

  6. Re: [Samba] Re: Can not connect to share for a particular user.

    Hi

    2008/6/7 Volker Lendecke :
    > This message "denied by security descriptor" is 100% that
    > something is in your share_info.tdb. If deleting that did
    > not help, I'm lost.

    Would that be the share_info.tdb on the PDC or on the machine sharing
    that drive?

    Jean-Yves

  7. Re: [Samba] Re: Can not connect to share for a particular user.

    On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 04:19:08PM +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
    > 2008/6/7 Volker Lendecke :
    > > This message "denied by security descriptor" is 100% that
    > > something is in your share_info.tdb. If deleting that did
    > > not help, I'm lost.

    > Would that be the share_info.tdb on the PDC or on the machine sharing
    > that drive?

    It is the share_info.tdb on the file server that denies
    access.

    Volker

+ Reply to Thread