Re: [Samba] Mapping of Unix groups to Samba user permissions - Samba

This is a discussion on Re: [Samba] Mapping of Unix groups to Samba user permissions - Samba ; On 5/30/08, Lars Poulsen wrote: Unfortunately, the group-write permission > will not propagate that way, so a cron job runs twice a day to set > group-write on all directories with the tree of each share. BTW, you don't need ...

  1. Re: [Samba] Mapping of Unix groups to Samba user permissions

    On 5/30/08, Lars Poulsen wrote:
    Unfortunately, the group-write permission
    > will not propagate that way, so a cron job runs twice a day to set
    > group-write on all directories with the tree of each share.

    BTW, you don't need a cron job to do that since samba can manage this
    for you every time a file or directory is created.

    Have a look at "force create mode" and "force directory mode" in smb.conf(5).

    Setting

    force directory mode = 0020
    force create mode = 0020

    im smb.conf will ensure that any files/directories created will be
    group-writable.

    - Richard

  2. Re: [Samba] Mapping of Unix groups to Samba user permissions

    Richard Foltyn wrote:
    > On 5/30/08, Lars Poulsen wrote:
    > Unfortunately, the group-write permission
    >
    >> will not propagate that way, so a cron job runs twice a day to set
    >> group-write on all directories with the tree of each share.
    >>

    > BTW, you don't need a cron job to do that since samba can manage this
    > for you every time a file or directory is created.
    >
    > Have a look at "force create mode" and "force directory mode" in smb.conf(5).
    >
    > Setting
    >
    > force directory mode = 0020
    > force create mode = 0020
    >
    > im smb.conf will ensure that any files/directories created will be
    > group-writable.

    Thank you, that is lovely!!

    By the way, I finally resolved the original problem, and it was not
    a Samba problem, but a sysadmin goof.

    Years ago (must have been in Windows95 days - certainly before XP),
    user bob was using two different Linux servers with different
    usernames: bob on one, and bobby on the other. Since Windows 95
    always used the Windows username to access the server, he convinced
    a sysadmin to create a second user entry on the server that had the
    current problem. The second user record had the same userid, same
    password and same home directory as the "real" user record, but since
    the reason for it had disappeared long ago, the group memberships
    had not been maintained/updated, and I had no idea it even existed.
    Bob was not ware of it either.

    Yesterday, bob accidentally logged in as bobby, causing the problems
    described.

    The "bobby" lines are no longer in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow !!!

    / Lars Poulsen