[Samba] Browsing with 2 PDCs on same subnet - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Browsing with 2 PDCs on same subnet - Samba ; Hi group, after having read the browsing chapters in both the Samba HOWTO and in Using Samba, I'm still not sure about browsing and two Samba PDCs on the same subnet. If both PDCs are DMBs and LMBs for their ...

  1. [Samba] Browsing with 2 PDCs on same subnet

    Hi group,

    after having read the browsing chapters in both the Samba HOWTO and in
    Using Samba, I'm still not sure about browsing and two Samba PDCs on
    the same subnet.

    If both PDCs are DMBs and LMBs for their respective domains, will I
    have a browsing conflict?
    The docs say there should be only one LMB per subnet, but does this
    actually mean per subnet and per domain?

    TIA
    Richard

  2. Re: [Samba] Browsing with 2 PDCs on same subnet

    On Wednesday 28 May 2008 16:21:45 Richard Foltyn wrote:
    > Hi group,
    >
    > after having read the browsing chapters in both the Samba HOWTO and in
    > Using Samba, I'm still not sure about browsing and two Samba PDCs on
    > the same subnet.
    >
    > If both PDCs are DMBs and LMBs for their respective domains, will I
    > have a browsing conflict?
    > The docs say there should be only one LMB per subnet, but does this
    > actually mean per subnet and per domain?

    Richard,

    You should have no problems with running two domains on the same subnet.

    - John T.

  3. Re: [Samba] Browsing with 2 PDCs on same subnet

    John H Terpstra wrote:
    > On Wednesday 28 May 2008 16:21:45 Richard Foltyn wrote:
    >> Hi group,
    >>
    >> after having read the browsing chapters in both the Samba HOWTO and in
    >> Using Samba, I'm still not sure about browsing and two Samba PDCs on
    >> the same subnet.
    >>
    >> If both PDCs are DMBs and LMBs for their respective domains, will I
    >> have a browsing conflict?
    >> The docs say there should be only one LMB per subnet, but does this
    >> actually mean per subnet and per domain?

    > Richard,
    >
    > You should have no problems with running two domains on the same subnet.

    And how about using 1 Samba WINS server for 2 domains? Is that supported?

    -Remy

  4. Re: [Samba] Browsing with 2 PDCs on same subnet

    I did just that and it seems to work. WINS has no understanding of the
    domain security context, as I see it, and simply maps netbios names
    (including service descriptors) to IP addresses.

    So having two PDCs in WINS will result in something like

    DOMAIN1<1c>
    DOMAIN2<1c>

    and there is no conflict.

    - Richard