[Samba] NetBIOS Hostname - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] NetBIOS Hostname - Samba ; I was setting up Samba on an OpenSuSE 10.3 i386 computer. At the last minute I decided to enter a NetBIOS Hostname, big mistake. A message popped up warning me that entering a NetBIOS Hostname would create a new UID ...

  1. [Samba] NetBIOS Hostname

    I was setting up Samba on an OpenSuSE 10.3 i386 computer.

    At the last minute I decided to enter a NetBIOS Hostname, big mistake.
    A message popped up warning me that entering a NetBIOS Hostname would
    create a new UID and Clients may no longer be able to connect.
    The Message was correct....

    However, (Design Flaw) at that point there was no way for me to back out or
    cancel, so the deed was done.

    How or where do you remove or change that option...?

    Performance Technology Systems Design

    "Being in Politics is like being a football coach. You have to be
    smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important."

    Eugene McCarthy (1916 - 2005)

  2. Re: [Samba] NetBIOS Hostname

    On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 1:54 PM, William W. Hammond
    wrote:

    > I was setting up Samba on an OpenSuSE 10.3 i386 computer.
    >
    > At the last minute I decided to enter a NetBIOS Hostname, big mistake.

    While this may be a question better suited to the OpenSUSE list than this
    one, you entered a NetBIOS hostname where? In YaST?

    > A message popped up warning me that entering a NetBIOS Hostname would
    > create a new UID and Clients may no longer be able to connect.
    > The Message was correct....

    What clients are no longer be able to connect? Samba clients? Or some other
    clients?

  3. Re: [Samba] NetBIOS Hostname

    At 11:10 AM 5/30/2008, Rob Shinn wrote:

    >On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 1:54 PM, William W. Hammond
    ><support@mbdsoft.com> wrote:
    >I was setting up Samba on an OpenSuSE 10.3 i386 computer.
    >
    >At the last minute I decided to enter a NetBIOS Hostname, big mistake.
    >

    >While this may be a question better suited to the OpenSUSE list than
    >this one, you entered a NetBIOS hostname where? In YaST?

    Since it was a SAMBA Issue I thought this would be the best place,
    but if you think the OpenSuSE Forum is a better option I'll move the
    thread there.
    and, yes, it was through YaST...

    >A message popped up warning me that entering a NetBIOS Hostname would
    >create a new UID and Clients may no longer be able to connect.
    >The Message was correct....
    >

    >What clients are no longer be able to connect? Samba clients? Or
    >some other clients?

    Sorry, not a complete description of the problem. It was the Windows
    XP Clients that could no longer authenticate
    to a share or even the "Workgroup" Computer.

    What I needed to know was how to undue that option, or how to set up
    the Windows Client to use the NetBIOS name.

    I was under a time constraint, small system so at the time it was
    easier just to reinstall the O/S (now working) and learn
    about this later...

    Performance Technology Systems Design

    "Never Promise more than you can deliver...
    Always Deliver more than you promise.."

  4. Re: [Samba] NetBIOS Hostname

    On Friday 30 May 2008 12:54:33 William W. Hammond wrote:
    > I was setting up Samba on an OpenSuSE 10.3 i386 computer.
    >
    > At the last minute I decided to enter a NetBIOS Hostname, big mistake.
    > A message popped up warning me that entering a NetBIOS Hostname would
    > create a new UID and Clients may no longer be able to connect.
    > The Message was correct....
    >
    > However, (Design Flaw) at that point there was no way for me to back out or
    > cancel, so the deed was done.

    The issue is not whether or not Samba has a NetBIOS name, but rather that a
    change of the NetBIOS name will generate a new SID for the system. If that
    system is a PDC, you will end up with a new Domain SID, and hence your
    Windows clients will no longer belong to the same domain your PDC is now in.

    > How or where do you remove or change that option...?

    You can find out the original domain SID from your Samba log files
    in /var/log/samba. Then reset the domain SID using:
    a) Stop Samba
    b) Execute: net setlocalsid "S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxxx"
    c) Restart Samba

    That should restore things so long as you have not messed around with things
    too much, in which case it would be easier to rejoin your Windows clients to
    the current Samba domain setup.

    PS: By default Samba finds the hostname of the system it is running on and
    uses that to generate the machine SID (and the domain SID if it is a PDC).

    - John T.

  5. Re: [Samba] NetBIOS Hostname

    At 12:14 PM 5/30/2008, John H Terpstra wrote:
    >On Friday 30 May 2008 12:54:33 William W. Hammond wrote:
    > > I was setting up Samba on an OpenSuSE 10.3 i386 computer.
    > >
    > > At the last minute I decided to enter a NetBIOS Hostname, big mistake.
    > > A message popped up warning me that entering a NetBIOS Hostname would
    > > create a new UID and Clients may no longer be able to connect.
    > > The Message was correct....
    > >
    > > However, (Design Flaw) at that point there was no way for me to back out or
    > > cancel, so the deed was done.

    >The issue is not whether or not Samba has a NetBIOS name, but rather that a
    >change of the NetBIOS name will generate a new SID for the system. If that
    >system is a PDC, you will end up with a new Domain SID, and hence your
    >Windows clients will no longer belong to the same domain your PDC is now in.
    >
    > > How or where do you remove or change that option...?

    >You can find out the original domain SID from your Samba log files
    >in /var/log/samba. Then reset the domain SID using:
    > a) Stop Samba
    > b) Execute: net setlocalsid "S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxxx"
    > c) Restart Samba
    >
    >That should restore things so long as you have not messed around with things
    >too much, in which case it would be easier to rejoin your Windows clients to
    >the current Samba domain setup.

    Thanks, that is what I needed, goes in my "Tech Save" box...
    I still think I should have been able to opt out once I saw the warning,
    Is that a Samba Issue or an OpenSuSE YaST issue...?

    >PS: By default Samba finds the hostname of the system it is running on and
    >uses that to generate the machine SID (and the domain SID if it is a PDC).
    >
    >- John T.
    >--

    Performance Technology Systems Design

    "Never Promise more than you can deliver...
    Always Deliver more than you promise.."

  6. Re: [Samba] NetBIOS Hostname

    Definitely an OpenSUSE issue. That's a really terrible GUI design.