[Samba] printer drivers - Add Printer Wizard disabled - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] printer drivers - Add Printer Wizard disabled - Samba ; I'm following along in the guide, trying to make printer drivers available from Samba. But when I right-click on a printer in Windows XP and select the "properties" tab, it's disabled: http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...DsjpQbEQ%3D%3D So how do I enable this so the ...

  1. [Samba] printer drivers - Add Printer Wizard disabled

    I'm following along in the guide, trying to make printer drivers
    available from Samba. But when I right-click on a printer in Windows
    XP and select the "properties" tab, it's disabled:

    http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...DsjpQbEQ%3D%3D

    So how do I enable this so the client can upload the drivers? So far I
    have tried:

    * Add the name of the user as "printer admin = username" in smb.conf.
    However, testparm told me that "printer admin" was deprecated. Also it
    didn't work.
    * I wasn't sure if I was connected as a guest, so disabled all "guest
    ok = yes" settings. However, this didn't prompt Windows to pop up a
    login dialog and the printer wizard remains disabled.

    Here is the output of smbstatus. It shows the machine I was connected
    from. smb.conf contains "printer admin = pmoose" in the [print$]
    section, yet I still can't upload the driver.

    ==CUT============================================= ======
    root@print00:/etc/samba# smbstatus

    Samba version 3.0.28a
    PID Username Group Machine

    Service pid machine Connected at
    IPC$ 16232 pmoose1 Tue May 27 23:38:06 2008

    No locked files
    ==CUT============================================= ======

    Thanks for any assistance.

    Josh

  2. Re: [Samba] printer drivers - Add Printer Wizard disabled

    On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Joshua Swink wrote:
    > I'm following along in the guide, trying to make printer drivers
    > available from Samba. But when I right-click on a printer in Windows
    > XP and select the "properties" tab, it's disabled:
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...DsjpQbEQ%3D%3D
    >
    > So how do I enable this so the client can upload the drivers? So far I
    > have tried:
    >
    > * Add the name of the user as "printer admin = username" in smb.conf.
    > However, testparm told me that "printer admin" was deprecated. Also it
    > didn't work.
    > * I wasn't sure if I was connected as a guest, so disabled all "guest
    > ok = yes" settings. However, this didn't prompt Windows to pop up a
    > login dialog and the printer wizard remains disabled.
    >

    > Here is the output of smbstatus. It shows the machine I was connected
    > from. smb.conf contains "printer admin = pmoose" in the [print$]
    > section, yet I still can't upload the driver.
    >
    > ==CUT============================================= ======
    > root@print00:/etc/samba# smbstatus
    >
    > Samba version 3.0.28a
    > PID Username Group Machine
    >
    > Service pid machine Connected at
    > IPC$ 16232 pmoose1 Tue May 27 23:38:06 2008
    >
    > No locked files
    > ==CUT============================================= ======

    as a temorary workaround try using:

    force user = myusername

    myusername should be somebody that has privillages to write to samba
    driver directory..

    Lucas
    http://www.lucasmanual.com/mywiki/SambaDomainController

  3. Re: [Samba] printer drivers - Add Printer Wizard disabled

    Joshua Swink wrote:
    > * Add the name of the user as "printer admin = username" in smb.conf.
    > However, testparm told me that "printer admin" was deprecated. Also it
    > didn't work.

    From the smb.conf man page:

    printer admin (S)
    This parameter has been marked deprecated in favor of
    using the
    SePrintOperatorPrivilege and individual print security
    descrip-
    tors. It will be removed in a future release.

    You can use the "net" command to grant SePrintOperatorPrivilege to your
    user.

    *Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
    michaelh@jaswin.com.au

  4. [Samba] Re: printer drivers - Add Printer Wizard disabled

    Michael Heydon wrote:
    > From the smb.conf man page:
    > printer admin (S)

    Correct. I cover printing via CUPS / Samba from Windows clients in my presentation:

    Samba 3 PDC for Windows Clients and Samba 3 Book Review
    http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/pub/...s/iccm2007.pdf
    PDF page 21

    Samba, as far as I know, does not automatically make Domain Admins "SePrintOperatorPrivilege's", so I specifically link Domain Admins to SePrintOperatorPrivilege.

    Note: Also it is necessary to have the [print$] share set up properly as a repository for the drivers to be uploaded to.

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems

  5. [Samba] Re: printer drivers - Add Printer Wizard disabled

    Oh, one other note... You will have to log on to the domain as a userid with Printer Admin permissions.

    For some reason after re-reading the OP's question, I am not certain they are doing that.

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems