[Samba] Transferring Local User Profiles When Joining Domain - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Transferring Local User Profiles When Joining Domain - Samba ; i have about a dozen users who i would like to join to the samba domain (pdc). how can i preserve their existing local windows xp user profiles when they join the domain??? this is a big issue because i ...

  1. [Samba] Transferring Local User Profiles When Joining Domain

    i have about a dozen users who i would like to join to the samba domain
    (pdc). how can i preserve their existing local windows xp user profiles when
    they join the domain??? this is a big issue because i want my users to
    experience this migration as easy as possible and not notice anything
    different.

  2. Re: [Samba] Transferring Local User Profiles When Joining Domain

    On Tuesday 27 May 2008 02:29:35 pm Leandro Tracchia wrote:
    > i have about a dozen users who i would like to join to the samba domain
    > (pdc). how can i preserve their existing local windows xp user profiles
    > when they join the domain??? this is a big issue because i want my users to
    > experience this migration as easy as possible and not notice anything
    > different.

    Migrate the profiles to your Samba domain using the tools Microsoft provides.

    1. Log onto the PC that has the profile.
    2. Join the Samba domain.
    3. Log onto the PC as the domain administrator (root, or whatever you have
    called this account)
    4. Click: Start
    5. Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, select Advanced, select User
    Profiles
    6. click on the user profile you wish to migrate
    7. Click on CopyTo, and follow the prompts.

    Make sure you give the new domain user account full access control to the
    profile before you copy it to the Samba PDC profile share.

    Not very difficult is it?

    - John T.

  3. Fwd: [Samba] Transferring Local User Profiles When Joining Domain

    > On Tuesday 27 May 2008 02:29:35 pm Leandro Tracchia wrote:
    >> i have about a dozen users who i would like to join to the samba domain
    >> (pdc). how can i preserve their existing local windows xp user profiles
    >> when they join the domain??? this is a big issue because i want my usersto
    >> experience this migration as easy as possible and not notice anything
    >> different.

    > Migrate the profiles to your Samba domain using the tools Microsoft provides.
    >
    > 1. Log onto the PC that has the profile.
    > 2. Join the Samba domain.
    > 3. Log onto the PC as the domain administrator (root, or whatever you have
    > called this account)
    > 4. Click: Start
    > 5. Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, select Advanced, selectUser
    > Profiles
    > 6. click on the user profile you wish to migrate
    > 7. Click on CopyTo, and follow the prompts.
    >
    > Make sure you give the new domain user account full access control to the
    > profile before you copy it to the Samba PDC profile share.
    >
    > Not very difficult is it?
    >
    > - John T.
    > --

  4. [Samba] Re: Transferring Local User Profiles When Joining Domain

    John, thanks for those instructions but unfortunately its not working that
    easily. i followed all your steps but i'm getting a "Failed to set Security on
    the Destination Profile. Error - Access is denied." do you know how i can fix
    this???

  5. Re: [Samba] Re: Transferring Local User Profiles When Joining Domain

    On Wednesday 28 May 2008 09:47:17 Leandro Tracchia wrote:
    > John, thanks for those instructions but unfortunately its not working that
    > easily. i followed all your steps but i'm getting a "Failed to set Security
    > on the Destination Profile. Error - Access is denied." do you know how i
    > can fix this???

    I am not sure at what step in the process this is happening. Can you give me
    a clear, step-by-step account?

    Is the target profile directory (folder) capable of being written to?

    - John T.

  6. [Samba] Re: Transferring Local User Profiles When Joining Domain

    john, the target profile folder is writable. the error is happening when i click
    on 'OK' for the Copy To dialog box.

    i did, however, manage to get this to work with the moveuser.exe utility.
    http://mds.mandriva.org/wiki/MdsFaq

  7. [Samba] Re: Fwd: Transferring Local User Profiles When JoiningDomain

    that worked like a charm, thanks!