[Samba] Re: Samba 3.0.25b on centos 5.1 a lot of signal 11very unstable!!! - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Re: Samba 3.0.25b on centos 5.1 a lot of signal 11very unstable!!! - Samba ; On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 22:12:53 -0800, Alberto Moreno wrote: > > The only problem is this new server, i read about some changes > with samba 3.0.25b and oldest version, since we add this server to the > domain ...

  1. [Samba] Re: Samba 3.0.25b on centos 5.1 a lot of signal 11very unstable!!!

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 22:12:53 -0800, Alberto Moreno wrote:

    > The only problem is this new server, i read about some changes
    > with samba 3.0.25b and oldest version, since we add this server to the
    > domain we had been having problems, we enable the roaming profile to our
    > windows clients, but some times the server doesn't update the user
    > profile, on other situations we lost the profile, example firefox
    > settings, or if the user update some excel file next day appear with no
    > changes.

    Roaming profiles are just problematic, even on native Windows servers. I
    have seen several roaming profiles implode on WinXP client boxes. I've
    also seen bad behavior with Win2k client/server setups as well. Symptoms
    include the client creating new profiles, ignoring existing profiles, or
    dialogs indicating profile corruption.

    > We have almost 3GB of core dumps since we setup samba inside
    > winbind folder, look this is my smb.conf file:

    [ lots of stuff snipped out ]

    > > lib/fault.c:dump_core(181) dumping core in /var/log/samba/cores/

    winbindd

    [ even more stuff snipped out]

    > [0x645c97] #19 winbindd [0x6443f2] #20 winbindd [0x615368] #21
    > winbindd(main+0x94d) [0x615dbd] #22 /lib/libc.so.6(__
    > libc_start_main+0xdc) [0x21fdec] #23 winbindd [0x614061] : 13 Time(s)

    > ------------------------------
    >
    > Hope this info give some point to start debugging this problem, does
    > someone see what is causing the problem? Thanks all for your time, if u
    > need more info please let me know, thanks!!!

    I'm no Samba or programming expert, but that last line looks like a libc
    segfault. Sig 11 errors a long time ago used to implicate RAM issues,
    usually due to bad contacts or faulty RAM chips. This may sound silly
    but try powering down the machine, unseating and reseating all of your
    RAM. If it continues, try reducing the RAM and see if the issue goes
    away (due to a bad RAM stick). Just my .02 cents.

  2. Re: [Samba] Re: Samba 3.0.25b on centos 5.1 a lot of signal11 very unstable!!!

    I've found that if I delete anything from a roaming profile on the client-side, I need to delete the server-side
    copy entirely, then log out to save a new roaming profile.