[Samba] Procedure to rebuild a Samba PDC? - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Procedure to rebuild a Samba PDC? - Samba ; Greetings- Is there anywhere documented the correct process / procedure to go through when rebuilding a PDC on a new system (hardware refresh)? It will a move from Debian Sarge with the 3.0.26a packages from samba.org to Ubuntu Server 8.04, ...

  1. [Samba] Procedure to rebuild a Samba PDC?

    Greetings-

    Is there anywhere documented the correct process / procedure to go through when rebuilding a PDC on a new system (hardware refresh)?

    It will a move from Debian Sarge with the 3.0.26a packages from samba.org to Ubuntu Server 8.04, and I think the stock Samba packages for now.

    Thanks!

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems

  2. [Samba] Re: Procedure to rebuild a Samba PDC?

    Michael Lueck wrote:
    > Is there anywhere documented the correct process / procedure to go
    > through when rebuilding a PDC on a new system (hardware refresh)?

    On a thread above (via NNTP), Florian Marinier referenced this link:

    http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/....html#id385896

    Looks very helpful.

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems
    http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/

  3. Re: [Samba] Procedure to rebuild a Samba PDC?

    move all of the .tdb files, and /etc/samba/* and everything in
    /var/lib/samba/* and of course any data you have. write down the SID
    of the old server (net getlocalsid, net getdomainsid) and set the new
    server to the same SID with net setlocalsid

    Michael Lueck wrote:
    > Greetings-
    >
    > Is there anywhere documented the correct process / procedure to go
    > through when rebuilding a PDC on a new system (hardware refresh)?
    >
    > It will a move from Debian Sarge with the 3.0.26a packages from
    > samba.org to Ubuntu Server 8.04, and I think the stock Samba packages
    > for now.
    >
    > Thanks!

  4. Re: [Samba] Procedure to rebuild a Samba PDC?

    Also, if you have any domain trusts you will want to be very sure to
    preserve /etc/samba/secrets.tdb intact. Recent versions of samba
    (such as 3.0.25 through 3.0.28) don't seem to be able to create
    functional interdomain trust accounts, but sometimes they will work if
    you have a secrets.tdb from a functioning older server.

    --Charlie