[Samba] mount shares with path - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] mount shares with path - Samba ; I need to mount a share I don't have direct access to only to one subdirectory. I have no problems mounting other shares on the same windows server with the same permissions. I can mount the volume through gnome "Connect ...

  1. [Samba] mount shares with path

    I need to mount a share I don't have direct access to only to one subdirectory.
    I have no problems mounting other shares on the same windows server with
    the same permissions.
    I can mount the volume through gnome "Connect to Server...", but I need it
    on the filesystem.

    What is working:
    smbmount //server1/share1 /mnt -o -fstype=cifs -noperm,credentials=/etc/auto.smb.server1

    What is not working:
    smbmount //server1/share2/dir1 /mnt -o -fstype=cifs -noperm,credentials=/etc/auto.smb.server1

    This results in the error: "mount error 20 = Not a directory"

    When I try with backslashes, the error changes:
    smbmount \\\\server1\\share2\\dir1 /mnt -o -fstype=cifs -noperm, credentials=/etc/auto.smb.exappbek0w1

    The results are:
    retrying with upper case share name
    mount error 6 = No such device or address

    The results are the same if I omit "-fstype=cifs -noperm,".

  2. Re: [Samba] mount shares with path

    Hallo, Armin,

    Du (armin.fuerst) meintest am 27.05.08:

    > I need to mount a share I don't have direct access to only to one
    > subdirectory. I have no problems mounting other shares on the same
    > windows server with the same permissions.
    > I can mount the volume through gnome "Connect to Server...", but I
    > need it on the filesystem.

    > What is working:
    > smbmount //server1/share1 /mnt -o -fstype=cifs
    > -noperm,credentials=/etc/auto.smb.server1

    > What is not working:
    > smbmount //server1/share2/dir1 /mnt -o -fstype=cifs
    > -noperm,credentials=/etc/auto.smb.server1

    What shows

    smbclient -N -L server1

    Does it show the share "share/dir1"? It shouldn't ...

    Viele Gruesse!
    Helmut

  3. Re: [Samba] mount shares with path

    Hallo Helmut,

    Sorry, I accidentally sent the previous reply to your private address
    only! And for some strange reason, I didn't get a copy of this
    message in my inbox, I just found it in the archive...

    >>> What shows
    >>>
    >>> smbclient -N -L server1
    >>>
    >>> Does it show the share "share/dir1"? It shouldn't ...

    >> In fact, this doesn't work at all, since the server doesn't accept
    >> anonymous browsing. But if I specify "-A credentials", it lists all
    >> server's shares. "share/dir1" (or share2/dir1 in my original example)
    >> is not shown, share(2) is shown.

    > Ok.
    > You cannot mount subdirectories of shares.
    >
    > But you can create another share which leads to the wanted subdirectory.

    The problem is: I'm not the administrator of the server, so I can't
    create shares. But as I wrote in my original mail: Connecting to
    this subdirectory of this share is possible through GNOME - doesn't
    that use samba?

    lg, Armin