[Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly - Samba ; Hi! Looking for a bit of help! I have been using Linux for a while as a hobby, and can get around it pretty quickly. I have created a Gentoo Samba server and set it as PDC with roaming profiles ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    Hi!

    Looking for a bit of help!

    I have been using Linux for a while as a hobby, and can get around it
    pretty quickly. I have created a Gentoo Samba server and set it as PDC
    with roaming profiles (there are several other services running on the
    server as well). I can login with my XP machines and the profile is
    downloaded to the machine but it is VERY VERY VERY slow. After a login
    is started, there is a blank blue screen (~4min), then the dialog that
    says "Loading your personal settings..."(~7min), and another that says
    "Applying your personal settings..."(~6min). The whole login process
    takes ~15 minutes with any user. The server is running an AMD64 2GHz
    and the client is AMD Athlon 1.32GHz. I have used these clients on a
    Windows 2003 Server with AD and roaming profiles before and it didn't
    take anywhere near this amount of time (usually logon was <1Min).All
    network drives are mapped properly (home and other shares through
    login.bat) Logoff seems to only take ~30sec and IS storing the
    information to the server correctly.

    I have searched and searched through Samba docs and Google, and I just
    can't find anyone that has a viable solution for me.

    Does anyone have a suggestion or solution?

    My smb.conf file is as follows:
    #======================= Global Settings
    =====================================
    [global]
    passwd chat = "*New password:*" %n\r "*New password (again):*" %n\r
    \ "*Password changed*"
    time server = yes
    hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/24 127.0.0.0/8
    interfaces = lo eth0
    bind interfaces only = yes
    netbios name = power
    workgroup = KochHome
    default = Public
    local master = yes
    os level = 65
    security = domain
    hide unreadable = yes
    map to guest = Never
    domain master = yes
    null passwords = no
    hide dot files = yes
    encrypt passwords = yes
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    wins support = true
    server string = PDC
    max log size = 50
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
    add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null %u
    delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
    delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
    add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
    domain logons = yes
    logon script = login.bat
    logon drive = U:
    logon path = \\%L\%U\windowsprofile

    ==============================
    [homes]
    comment = Home Directory for %u
    browseable = no
    valid users = %S
    read only = no
    guest ok = no
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700

    [netlogon]
    path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
    guest ok = no
    read only = yes
    browseable = no

    I removed several other shares because I figured that information was
    not required.

    Thanks

    -Greg

  2. Re: [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    Hi,
    Greg Koch wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Looking for a bit of help!
    >
    > I have been using Linux for a while as a hobby, and can get around it
    > pretty quickly. I have created a Gentoo Samba server and set it as
    > PDC with roaming profiles (there are several other services running on
    > the server as well). I can login with my XP machines and the profile
    > is downloaded to the machine but it is VERY VERY VERY slow. After a
    > login is started, there is a blank blue screen (~4min), then the
    > dialog that says "Loading your personal settings..."(~7min), and
    > another that says "Applying your personal settings..."(~6min). The
    > whole login process takes ~15 minutes with any user. The server is
    > running an AMD64 2GHz and the client is AMD Athlon 1.32GHz. I have
    > used these clients on a Windows 2003 Server with AD and roaming
    > profiles before and it didn't take anywhere near this amount of time
    > (usually logon was <1Min).All network drives are mapped properly (home
    > and other shares through login.bat) Logoff seems to only take ~30sec
    > and IS storing the information to the server correctly.
    >
    > I have searched and searched through Samba docs and Google, and I just
    > can't find anyone that has a viable solution for me.

    If you use roaming profiles, there are a lot of problem if you have a
    lot of things in your personal document and settings of windows or on
    your desktop because
    the profile contain all. The only solution is to avoid to restore same
    directory

    regards Michael

  3. Re: [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    You could try moving My Documents to a mapped drive on the server, this
    will speed up log on and log off if there a lot of files in My Documents
    within a given profile. The easiest way is just to drag it to the mapped
    drive then log off and on again, then after confirming that you've
    actually had success, remove the old My Docs folder from the profile.
    Otherwise it can be done in registry editor on XP when logged in as the
    user:

    My
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Wind ows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders

    There is probably a way to script this but I don't know how.

    It seems to speed things up for some of my users with more data in My Docs

    Andreas

    Greg Koch wrote:
> [...]
    > passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    > socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
    > domain logons = yes
    > logon script = login.bat
    > logon drive = U:
    > logon path = \\%L\%U\windowsprofile
    >
    > #============================ Share Definitions
    > ==============================
    > [homes]
    > comment = Home Directory for %u
    > browseable = no
    > valid users = %S
    > read only = no
    > guest ok = no
    > create mask = 0600
    > directory mask = 0700
    > [netlogon]
    > path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
    > guest ok = no
    > read only = yes
    > browseable = no
    >
    > I removed several other shares because I figured that information was

  4. Re: [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    how big are the profiles? what speeds are the NICs in the server and
    client PCs operating at?

  5. Re: [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    try to increase the log level and investigate the logs, maybe there is some
    name resolution problem, but think of the log level, if it is AFAIK 3 or
    higher every log entry will be flushed, so the speed decreases dramatically

    regards
    odi

    Am Dienstag, 27. Mai 2008 10:41:22 schrieb Greg Koch:
> [...]
    > passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    > socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
    > domain logons = yes
    > logon script = login.bat
    > logon drive = U:
    > logon path = \\%L\%U\windowsprofile
    >
    > #============================ Share Definitions
    > ==============================
    > [homes]
    > comment = Home Directory for %u
    > browseable = no
    > valid users = %S
    > read only = no
    > guest ok = no
    > create mask = 0600
    > directory mask = 0700
    >
    > [netlogon]
    > path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
    > guest ok = no
    > read only = yes
    > browseable = no
    >
    > I removed several other shares because I figured that information was

  6. Re: [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    The profiles are 1.1MB (Just the default files and a few other things to
    test with). The server is 1000MB and the clients are 100MB. This is
    why it has baffled me so much!

    Adam Williams wrote:
    > how big are the profiles? what speeds are the NICs in the server and
    > client PCs operating at?

  7. Re: [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    Greg, this is old, but I found it quite useful.
    http://www.css.taylor.edu/~nehresma/samba.html

    We've had two problems with roaming profiles. The first is that staff
    members store all kinds of stuff in their profile. The above document,
    about halfway down, "Profile changes" helped out here greatly.

    The second problem that we had was Windows XP offline file
    synchronization. You can find that in Start -> All Programs ->
    Accessories -> Synchronization. Our systems defaulted to turning it on.
    Manually going in and turning it all off (use the "setup" button too,
    more stuff there) made a dramatic difference.

    Good Luck.
    Gar

    Greg Koch wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Looking for a bit of help!
    >
    > I have been using Linux for a while as a hobby, and can get around it
    > pretty quickly. I have created a Gentoo Samba server and set it as
    > PDC with roaming profiles (there are several other services running on
    > the server as well). I can login with my XP machines and the profile
    > is downloaded to the machine but it is VERY VERY VERY slow. After a
    > login is started, there is a blank blue screen (~4min), then the
    > dialog that says "Loading your personal settings..."(~7min), and
    > another that says "Applying your personal settings..."(~6min). The
    > whole login process takes ~15 minutes with any user. The server is
    > running an AMD64 2GHz and the client is AMD Athlon 1.32GHz. I have
    > used these clients on a Windows 2003 Server with AD and roaming
    > profiles before and it didn't take anywhere near this amount of time
    > (usually logon was <1Min).All network drives are mapped properly (home
    > and other shares through login.bat) Logoff seems to only take ~30sec
    > and IS storing the information to the server correctly.
    >
    > I have searched and searched through Samba docs and Google, and I just
    > can't find anyone that has a viable solution for me.
    >
    > Does anyone have a suggestion or solution?

  8. RE: [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    Also try to set you nic fixed speeds.

    and your profile is 1.1. MB ?? thats very very small.
    a normal profile is about 10-25 Mb.

    Louis

  9. Re: [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
    > Also try to set you nic fixed speeds.
    >
    > and your profile is 1.1. MB ?? thats very very small.
    > a normal profile is about 10-25 Mb.
    >
    > Louis

    Also, I've found that roaming profiles seem to choke when you've got
    lots of very small files. Those files are usually in local settings
    under the profile, but not always. I had the back end running on top of
    reiserfs over gigabit, so I think the bottleneck is Windows processing
    all of them. However, I don't have any objective data whatsoever to
    back these claims up; take them with a grain of salt.

    What kind of times are you seeing? Is it possible you have stuff timing
    out for various reasons (permissions, broken links, name resolution, etc.)?

  10. RE: [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    I agree, roming is very slow with lots of small files.

    a tip i can give everybody, disable java caching.
    i had a user with 6500+ files in java cache dir which made
    loggin in very slow.

    Louis

  11. Re: [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    On 5/28/2008, Scott Lovenberg (scott.lovenberg@gmail.com) wrote:
    > Also, I've found that roaming profiles seem to choke when you've got
    > lots of very small files. Those files are usually in local settings
    > under the profile, but not always.

    Roaming Profiles do NOT contain *anything* in the 'Local Settings'
    folder. Thats why it is called LOCAL settings.

    I think he has a DNS issue or something else going on...

    --

    Best regards,

    Charles

  12. Re: [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    On 5/28/2008, L.P.H. van Belle (belle@bazuin.nl) wrote:
    > a tip i can give everybody, disable java caching.
    > i had a user with 6500+ files in java cache dir which made
    > loggin in very slow.

    Or just point the cahce folder to a folde rin the 'Local Settings' folder.

    --

    Best regards,

    Charles

  13. Re: [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    Charles Marcus wrote:
    > On 5/28/2008, Scott Lovenberg (scott.lovenberg@gmail.com) wrote:
    >> Also, I've found that roaming profiles seem to choke when you've got
    >> lots of very small files. Those files are usually in local settings
    >> under the profile, but not always.

    > Roaming Profiles do NOT contain *anything* in the 'Local Settings'
    > folder. Thats why it is called LOCAL settings.
    >
    > I think he has a DNS issue or something else going on...

    Yeah, I originally wrote in (and later deleted for the sake of clarity)
    that I used to carry around my local settings folder. I had a dozen
    computers with the same software, and I hated my settings being changed
    every time I jumped on another computer (I naively thought that was the
    whole point of roaming profiles, hah!). Needless to say, it was less
    than optimal and didn't much work. And, now Gmail has IMAP, so I don't
    have to carry around my email store. = )

    DNS was my kneejerk reaction, too, but I thought that it would be good
    to mention small files which may or may not be in local settings.

    Another thought that just occurred, there seems to be a significant
    speed difference when the Web Client service is turned off. Many thanks
    to John Terpstra and Jelmer Vernooij for this tip in TOSHARG (the book
    is worth its weight in gold, and it isn't light!). With the Web Client
    service on, it almost feels like you've got a bit of browsing issue.

  14. Re: [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    how do you disable java caching?

    L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
    > I agree, roming is very slow with lots of small files.
    >
    > a tip i can give everybody, disable java caching.
    > i had a user with 6500+ files in java cache dir which made
    > loggin in very slow.
    >
    > Louis

  15. Re: [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    On 5/28/2008, Scott Lovenberg (scott.lovenberg@gmail.com) wrote:
    > Yeah, I originally wrote in (and later deleted for the sake of
    > clarity) that I used to carry around my local settings folder. I had
    > a dozen computers with the same software, and I hated my settings
    > being changed every time I jumped on another computer (I naively
    > thought that was the whole point of roaming profiles, hah!).
    > Needless to say, it was less than optimal and didn't much work. And,
    > now Gmail has IMAP, so I don't have to carry around my email store. =
    > )

    Outlook and OE are the only two brain-dead programs that I know that put
    critical data in the Local Settings folder by default.

    I've used IMAP the last 6 years or so, so this is a non-issue for me.

    > DNS was my kneejerk reaction, too, but I thought that it would be
    > good to mention small files which may or may not be in local
    > settings.
    >
    > Another thought that just occurred, there seems to be a significant
    > speed difference when the Web Client service is turned off. Many
    > thanks to John Terpstra and Jelmer Vernooij for this tip in TOSHARG
    > (the book is worth its weight in gold, and it isn't light!). With
    > the Web Client service on, it almost feels like you've got a bit of
    > browsing issue. --

    Interesting - just checked, and googled on that service, and it does
    appear to be useless. I disabled it to see if I notice any difference -
    not that I was having any problems...

    Network browins does seem a *little* snappier - hard to tell, though,
    since I never complained about it before...

    --

    Best regards,

    Charles

  16. Re: [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    I was considering doing this, but wanted to see if I could get them to
    work regularly. After fighting with Windows for days, I decided to just
    do it this way, but it still takes a very LONG time (5 min) to login - I
    tested it, and it is using the samba shares for the directories (the
    files are written to the server almost instantaneously, which I think is
    the best way for the profiles to work anyway).

    I updated NTUSER.DAT to use the files on the server directly, disabled

    There is obviously some sort of disconnect between the clients and the
    server.

    Any ideas??

    Gar Nelson wrote:
    > Greg, this is old, but I found it quite useful.
    > http://www.css.taylor.edu/~nehresma/samba.html
    >
    > We've had two problems with roaming profiles. The first is that staff
    > members store all kinds of stuff in their profile. The above document,
    > about halfway down, "Profile changes" helped out here greatly.
    >
    > The second problem that we had was Windows XP offline file
    > synchronization. You can find that in Start -> All Programs ->
    > Accessories -> Synchronization. Our systems defaulted to turning it
    > on. Manually going in and turning it all off (use the "setup" button
    > too, more stuff there) made a dramatic difference.
    >
    > Good Luck.
    > Gar
    >
    > Greg Koch wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> Looking for a bit of help!
    >>
    >> I have been using Linux for a while as a hobby, and can get around it
    >> pretty quickly. I have created a Gentoo Samba server and set it as
    >> PDC with roaming profiles (there are several other services running
    >> on the server as well). I can login with my XP machines and the
    >> profile is downloaded to the machine but it is VERY VERY VERY slow.
    >> After a login is started, there is a blank blue screen (~4min), then
    >> the dialog that says "Loading your personal settings..."(~7min), and
    >> another that says "Applying your personal settings..."(~6min). The
    >> whole login process takes ~15 minutes with any user. The server is
    >> running an AMD64 2GHz and the client is AMD Athlon 1.32GHz. I have
    >> used these clients on a Windows 2003 Server with AD and roaming
    >> profiles before and it didn't take anywhere near this amount of time
    >> (usually logon was <1Min).All network drives are mapped properly
    >> (home and other shares through login.bat) Logoff seems to only take
    >> ~30sec and IS storing the information to the server correctly.
    >>
    >> I have searched and searched through Samba docs and Google, and I
    >> just can't find anyone that has a viable solution for me.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a suggestion or solution?

  17. Re: [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    I have checked the samba logs, and I don't see any errors. I have no
    problems reading files once logged in, or if I mount the shares through
    linux or macos, or even if I connect to the shares from a computer
    outside the domain. I can resolve the computers NetBIOS name (power).
    See some of my log below (chris is the machine, gregory is the username
    I've tested with). I have also tried changing the NTUSER.dat file to
    set it to read files directly from the server, but no luck there either,
    it still takes a LONG time to login (see other subthread of this
    conversation: https://lists.samba.org/archive/samb...ay/140933.html)

    [2008/05/28 13:26:57, 1] param/loadparm.c:set_server_role(4279)
    Server's Role (logon server) NOT ADVISED with domain-level security
    [2008/05/28 13:47:30, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(534)
    read_data: read failure for 4 bytes to client 192.168.0.250. Error =
    No route to host
    [2008/05/28 13:59:09, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1033)
    chris (192.168.0.250) connect to service gregory initially as user
    gregory (uid=500, gid=502) (pid 26439)
    [2008/05/28 14:04:28, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
    chris (192.168.0.250) closed connection to service gregory
    [2008/05/28 14:04:28, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1033)
    chris (192.168.0.250) connect to service netlogon initially as user
    gregory (uid=500, gid=502) (pid 26473)
    [2008/05/28 14:04:38, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
    chris (192.168.0.250) closed connection to service netlogon
    [2008/05/28 14:11:32, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1033)
    chris (192.168.0.250) connect to service gregory initially as user
    gregory (uid=500, gid=502) (pid 26528)
    [2008/05/28 14:11:32, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1033)
    chris (192.168.0.250) connect to service netlogon initially as user
    gregory (uid=500, gid=502) (pid 26528)
    [2008/05/28 14:17:35, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1033)
    chris (192.168.0.250) connect to service gregory initially as user
    gregory (uid=500, gid=502) (pid 26528)
    [2008/05/28 14:18:10, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1033)
    chris (192.168.0.250) connect to service gregory initially as user
    gregory (uid=500, gid=502) (pid 26528)
    [2008/05/28 14:22:17, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
    chris (192.168.0.250) closed connection to service netlogon
    [2008/05/28 14:23:20, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1033)
    chris (192.168.0.250) connect to service netlogon initially as user
    gregory (uid=500, gid=502) (pid 26528)
    [2008/05/28 14:23:30, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
    chris (192.168.0.250) closed connection to service netlogon
    [2008/05/28 14:28:18, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1033)
    chris (192.168.0.250) connect to service gregory initially as user
    gregory (uid=500, gid=502) (pid 26528)
    [2008/05/28 14:28:18, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1033)
    chris (192.168.0.250) connect to service netlogon initially as user
    gregory (uid=500, gid=502) (pid 26528)
    [2008/05/28 14:28:18, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
    chris (192.168.0.250) closed connection to service gregory
    [2008/05/28 14:28:18, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
    chris (192.168.0.250) closed connection to service gregory
    [2008/05/28 14:28:48, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
    chris (192.168.0.250) closed connection to service gregory
    [2008/05/28 14:29:41, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1033)
    chris (192.168.0.250) connect to service gregory initially as user
    gregory (uid=500, gid=502) (pid 26528)
    [2008/05/28 14:29:48, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
    chris (192.168.0.250) closed connection to service netlogon
    [2008/05/28 14:29:48, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
    chris (192.168.0.250) closed connection to service gregory
    [2008/05/28 14:29:48, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
    chris (192.168.0.250) closed connection to service gregory
    [2008/05/28 14:32:37, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1033)
    chris (192.168.0.250) connect to service gregory initially as user
    gregory (uid=500, gid=502) (pid 26528)
    [2008/05/28 14:34:02, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
    chris (192.168.0.250) closed connection to service gregory
    [2008/05/28 14:34:02, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1033)
    chris (192.168.0.250) connect to service netlogon initially as user
    gregory (uid=500, gid=502) (pid 26528)
    [2008/05/28 14:34:12, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
    chris (192.168.0.250) closed connection to service netlogon
    [2008/05/28 14:50:10, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1033)
    chris (192.168.0.250) connect to service gregory initially as user
    gregory (uid=500, gid=502) (pid 26748)

    Greg Koch wrote:
    > The profiles are 1.1MB (Just the default files and a few other things
    > to test with). The server is 1000MB and the clients are 100MB. This
    > is why it has baffled me so much!
    >
    > Adam Williams wrote:
    >> how big are the profiles? what speeds are the NICs in the server and
    >> client PCs operating at?

  18. Re: [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    Charles Marcus wrote:
    >> DNS was my kneejerk reaction, too, but I thought that it would be
    >> good to mention small files which may or may not be in local
    >> settings.
    >>
    >> Another thought that just occurred, there seems to be a significant
    >> speed difference when the Web Client service is turned off. Many
    >> thanks to John Terpstra and Jelmer Vernooij for this tip in TOSHARG
    >> (the book is worth its weight in gold, and it isn't light!). With
    >> the Web Client service on, it almost feels like you've got a bit of
    >> browsing issue. --

    > Interesting - just checked, and googled on that service, and it does
    > appear to be useless. I disabled it to see if I notice any difference
    > - not that I was having any problems...
    >
    > Network browins does seem a *little* snappier - hard to tell, though,
    > since I never complained about it before...

    Try it with a redirected desktop You can feel the latency with it on
    (or, at least, I can. It might also be psychological).

  19. Re: [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    On 5/28/2008, Greg Koch (greg@ekingme.com) wrote:
    > [2008/05/28 13:26:57, 1] param/loadparm.c:set_server_role(4279)
    > Server's Role (logon server) NOT ADVISED with domain-level security
    > [2008/05/28 13:47:30, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(534)
    > read_data: read failure for 4 bytes to client 192.168.0.250. Error = No route to host

    Could that have anything to do with it?

    --

    Best regards,

    Charles

  20. Re: [Samba] Roaming Profiles Load Very Slowly

    The particular login that had that error was several logins ago. The
    current logins are not producing any errors on the server side. Logoff
    is almost instantaneous. I am having problems with it even with editing
    NTUSER.dat and redirecting the folders to shares. There has been a
    suggestion that it is name server related - WINS NMBD and DNS are
    working without error. As I said before, I can access the shares from
    any computer without any problem, its just the login that takes forever,
    and as I have it right now with the redirected files, it should only be
    reading the NTUSER.DAT file from the server, and it STILL takes forever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast