[Samba] smb.conf setting for file permissions? - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] smb.conf setting for file permissions? - Samba ; Hi, I have a very old version of samba on one of the boxes I'm not allowed to update. I have a request from a user group that all the group be allowed to edit a set of file. At ...

  1. [Samba] smb.conf setting for file permissions?

    Hi,

    I have a very old version of samba on one of the boxes I'm not allowed
    to update. I have a request from a user group that all the group be
    allowed to edit a set of file. At the command line I 'chmod 666 $file'
    and all is well. I can edit and save the file. The permissions return to
    744. I want the file permissions to not be changed when someone saves
    a file. What parameter can I add to /etc/samba/smb.conf so that file
    permissions are not changed when a file is save?

    Mike

    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
    Samba 3.0.9

  2. Re: [Samba] smb.conf setting for file permissions?

    On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Mike Eggleston wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a very old version of samba on one of the boxes I'm not allowed
    > to update. I have a request from a user group that all the group be
    > allowed to edit a set of file. At the command line I 'chmod 666 $file'
    > and all is well. I can edit and save the file. The permissions return to
    > 744. I want the file permissions to not be changed when someone saves
    > a file. What parameter can I add to /etc/samba/smb.conf so that file
    > permissions are not changed when a file is save?

    Are there any masks or force security commnds in the smb.conf?

    John

  3. Re: [Samba] smb.conf setting for file permissions?

    On Fri, 23 May 2008, John Drescher might have said:

    > On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Mike Eggleston wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a very old version of samba on one of the boxes I'm not allowed
    > > to update. I have a request from a user group that all the group be
    > > allowed to edit a set of file. At the command line I 'chmod 666 $file'
    > > and all is well. I can edit and save the file. The permissions return to
    > > 744. I want the file permissions to not be changed when someone saves
    > > a file. What parameter can I add to /etc/samba/smb.conf so that file
    > > permissions are not changed when a file is save?
    > >

    > Are there any masks or force security commnds in the smb.conf?

    Not that seem obvious to me.

    ---------------------------------------
    # This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
    # smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
    # here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
    # many!) most of which are not shown in this example
    #
    # Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
    # is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
    # for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
    # may wish to enable
    #
    # NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command "testparm"
    # to check that you have not made any basic syntactic errors.
    #
    #======================= Global Settings =====================================
    [global]

    # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
    workgroup = AMR

    # server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
    server string = ishwar

    # This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
    # connections to machines which are on your local network. The
    # following example restricts access to two C class networks and
    # the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
    # the smb.conf man page
    ; hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.

    # if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
    # than setting them up individually then you'll need this
    # printcap name = /etc/printcap
    # load printers = no

    # It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
    # yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
    # bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
    ; printing = bsd

    # Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to /etc/passwd
    # otherwise the user "nobody" is used
    ; guest account = pcguest

    # this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
    # that connects
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

    # Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
    max log size = 50

    # logging level
    log level = 4

    # Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
    # security_level.txt for details.
    # Use password server option only with security = server
    ; password server =

    # Password Level allows matching of _n_ characters of the password for
    # all combinations of upper and lower case.
    ; password level = 8
    ; username level = 8

    # You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
    # ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
    # Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
    ; encrypt passwords = yes
    ; smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

    # The following are needed to allow password changing from Windows to
    # update the Linux system password also.
    # NOTE: Use these with 'encrypt passwords' and 'smb passwd file' above.
    # NOTE2: You do NOT need these to allow workstations to change only
    # the encrypted SMB passwords. They allow the Unix password
    # to be kept in sync with the SMB password.
    ; unix password sync = Yes
    ; passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    ; passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*success fully*

    # Unix users can map to different SMB User names
    ; username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

    # Using the following line enables you to customise your configuration
    # on a per machine basis. The %m gets replaced with the netbios name
    # of the machine that is connecting
    ; include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%m

    # Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
    # See speed.txt and the manual pages for details

    # Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
    # If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
    # here. See the man page for details.
    ; interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24

    # Configure remote browse list synchronisation here
    # request announcement to, or browse list sync from:
    # a specific host or from / to a whole subnet (see below)
    ; remote browse sync = 192.168.3.25 192.168.5.255
    # Cause this host to announce itself to local subnets here
    ; remote announce = 192.168.1.255 192.168.2.44

    # Browser Control Options:
    # set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
    # browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
    local master = no

    # OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
    # elections. The default value should be reasonable
    os level = 33

    # Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
    # allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
    # if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
    domain master = no

    # Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
    # and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
    preferred master = no

    # Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain logon server for
    # Windows95 workstations.
    ; domain logons = yes

    # if you enable domain logons then you may want a per-machine or
    # per user logon script
    # run a specific logon batch file per workstation (machine)
    ; logon script = %m.bat
    # run a specific logon batch file per username
    ; logon script = %U.bat

    # Where to store roving profiles (only for Win95 and WinNT)
    # %L substitutes for this servers netbios name, %U is username
    # You must uncomment the [Profiles] share below
    ; logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

    # All NetBIOS names must be resolved to IP Addresses
    # 'Name Resolve Order' allows the named resolution mechanism to be specified
    # the default order is "host lmhosts wins bcast". "host" means use the unix
    # system gethostbyname() function call that will use either /etc/hosts OR
    # DNS or NIS depending on the settings of /etc/host.config, /etc/nsswitch.conf
    # and the /etc/resolv.conf file. "host" therefore is system configuration
    # dependant. This parameter is most often of use to prevent DNS lookups
    # in order to resolve NetBIOS names to IP Addresses. Use with care!
    # The example below excludes use of name resolution for machines that are NOT
    # on the local network segment
    # - OR - are not deliberately to be known via lmhosts or via WINS.
    ; name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast

    # Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
    # WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS Server
    ; wins support = yes

    # WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
    # Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
    ; wins server = w.x.y.z

    # WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
    # behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
    # at least one WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
    ; wins proxy = yes

    # DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
    # via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
    # this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    password server = None
    dns proxy = no

    # Case Preservation can be handy - system default is _no_
    # NOTE: These can be set on a per share basis
    ; preserve case = no
    ; short preserve case = no
    # Default case is normally upper case for all DOS files
    ; default case = lower
    # Be very careful with case sensitivity - it can break things!
    ; case sensitive = no

    ################################################## ################
    # mikee 071013 - configuring samba to authenticate to ldap
    ldap delete dn = Yes
    ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=com
    ldap admin dn = cn=manager,dc=example,dc=com
    ldap user suffix = ou=people
    ldap group suffix = ou=groups
    ldap machine suffix = ou=machines
    ldap ssl = off
    ldapsam:trusted = Yes
    ldap timeout = 15
    utmp directory = /var/run
    wtmp directory = /var/log
    utmp = Yes

    password server = ldaphost.example.com
    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ldaphost.example.com
    ldap passwd sync = Yes
    #unix password sync = Yes
    ################################################## ################

    #============================ Share Definitions ==============================
    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes

    # Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons
    ; [netlogon]
    ; comment = Network Logon Service
    ; path = /home/netlogon
    ; guest ok = yes
    ; writable = no
    ; share modes = no

    # Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
    # the default is to use the user's home directory
    ;[Profiles]
    ; path = /home/profiles
    ; browseable = no
    ; guest ok = yes

    # NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
    # specifically define each individual printer
    #[printers]
    # comment = All Printers
    # path = /var/spool/samba
    # browseable = no
    # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
    # printable = no

    # This one is useful for people to share files
    ;[tmp]
    ; comment = Temporary file space
    ; path = /tmp
    ; read only = no
    ; public = yes

    # A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
    # the "staff" group
    [ishwarhome]
    comment = ishwar home directories in /home
    path = /home
    public = yes
    read only = yes
    write list = @amr

    [ishwar1]
    comment = ishwar1
    path = /usr/ishwar1
    public = yes
    read only = yes
    write list = @amr

    [ishwar2]
    comment = ishwar2
    path = /usr/ishwar2
    public = yes
    read only = yes
    write list = @amr

    [ishwar3]
    comment = ishwar3
    path = /usr/ishwar3
    public = yes
    read only = yes
    write list = @amr

    [ishwar4]
    comment = ishwar4
    path = /usr/ishwar4
    public = yes
    read only = yes
    write list = @amr

    [ishwarhtml]
    comment = ishwarhtml
    path = /var/www/html
    public = yes
    read only = yes
    write list = @amr,@amrldap

    # Other examples.
    #
    # A private printer, usable only by fred. Spool data will be placed in fred's
    # home directory. Note that fred must have write access to the spool directory,
    # wherever it is.
    ;[fredsprn]
    ; comment = Fred's Printer
    ; valid users = fred
    ; path = /homes/fred
    ; printer = freds_printer
    ; public = no
    ; writable = no
    ; printable = yes

    # A private directory, usable only by fred. Note that fred requires write
    # access to the directory.
    ;[fredsdir]
    ; comment = Fred's Service
    ; path = /usr/somewhere/private
    ; valid users = fred
    ; public = no
    ; writable = yes
    ; printable = no

    # a service which has a different directory for each machine that connects
    # this allows you to tailor configurations to incoming machines. You could
    # also use the %u option to tailor it by user name.
    # The %m gets replaced with the machine name that is connecting.
    ;[pchome]
    ; comment = PC Directories
    ; path = /usr/pc/%m
    ; public = no
    ; writable = yes

    # A publicly accessible directory, read/write to all users. Note that all files
    # created in the directory by users will be owned by the default user, so
    # any user with access can delete any other user's files. Obviously this
    # directory must be writable by the default user. Another user could of course
    # be specified, in which case all files would be owned by that user instead.
    ;[public]
    ; path = /usr/somewhere/else/public
    ; public = yes
    ; only guest = yes
    ; writable = yes
    ; printable = no

    # The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so that two
    # users can place files there that will be owned by the specific users. In this
    # setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should have the
    # sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be extended to
    # as many users as required.
    ;[myshare]
    ; comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff
    ; path = /usr/somewhere/shared
    ; valid users = mary fred
    ; public = no
    ; writable = yes
    ; printable = no
    ; create mask = 0765

  4. Re: [Samba] smb.conf setting for file permissions?

    On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 02:28:36PM -0500, Mike Eggleston wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 May 2008, John Drescher might have said:
    >
    > > On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Mike Eggleston wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I have a very old version of samba on one of the boxes I'm not allowed
    > > > to update. I have a request from a user group that all the group be
    > > > allowed to edit a set of file. At the command line I 'chmod 666 $file'
    > > > and all is well. I can edit and save the file. The permissions return to
    > > > 744. I want the file permissions to not be changed when someone saves
    > > > a file. What parameter can I add to /etc/samba/smb.conf so that file
    > > > permissions are not changed when a file is save?
    > > >

    > > Are there any masks or force security commnds in the smb.conf?

    > Not that seem obvious to me.

    What does the output of :

    testparm -s -v | grep mask

    say ?

  5. Re: [Samba] smb.conf setting for file permissions?

    On Fri, 23 May 2008, Jeremy Allison might have said:

    > On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 02:28:36PM -0500, Mike Eggleston wrote:

    > > > Are there any masks or force security commnds in the smb.conf?

    > > Not that seem obvious to me.

    > What does the output of :
    >
    > testparm -s -v | grep mask
    >
    > say ?

    Nothing that I can find.

    Mike

    ------------------------------
    [root@ishwar root]# testparm -s | egrep -i 'mask|force'
    Processing section "[homes]"
    Processing section "[ishwarhome]"
    Processing section "[ishwar1]"
    Processing section "[ishwar2]"
    Processing section "[ishwar3]"
    Processing section "[ishwar4]"
    Processing section "[ishwarhtml]"
    Loaded services file OK.

  6. Re: [Samba] smb.conf setting for file permissions?

    On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 02:34:06PM -0500, Mike Eggleston wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 May 2008, Jeremy Allison might have said:

    > > > Not that seem obvious to me.

    > > What does the output of :
    > >
    > > testparm -s -v | grep mask
    > >
    > > say ?

    > Nothing that I can find.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > [root@ishwar root]# testparm -s | egrep -i 'mask|force'
    > Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
    > Processing section "[homes]"
    > Processing section "[ishwarhome]"
    > Processing section "[ishwar1]"
    > Processing section "[ishwar2]"
    > Processing section "[ishwar3]"
    > Processing section "[ishwar4]"
    > Processing section "[ishwarhtml]"
    > Loaded services file OK.

  7. Re: [Samba] smb.conf setting for file permissions?

    On Fri, 23 May 2008, Jeremy Allison might have said:

    > On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 02:34:06PM -0500, Mike Eggleston wrote:

    > > > What does the output of :
    > > >
    > > > testparm -s -v | grep mask
    > > >
    > > > say ?

    > > Nothing that I can find.
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >
    > > ------------------------------
    > > [root@ishwar root]# testparm -s | egrep -i 'mask|force'
    > > Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
    > > Processing section "[homes]"
    > > Processing section "[ishwarhome]"
    > > Processing section "[ishwar1]"
    > > Processing section "[ishwar2]"
    > > Processing section "[ishwar3]"
    > > Processing section "[ishwar4]"
    > > Processing section "[ishwarhtml]"
    > > Loaded services file OK.
    > > ------------------------------

    > You missed the '-v' to testparm. I want to see the defaults too.
    >
    > Jeremy.

    Yep, I did. Waste of bandwidth.

    Mike

    ------------------------------
    [root@ishwar root]# testparm -s -v | egrep -i 'mask|force'
    Processing section "[homes]"
    Processing section "[ishwarhome]"
    Processing section "[ishwar1]"
    Processing section "[ishwar2]"
    Processing section "[ishwar3]"
    Processing section "[ishwar4]"
    Processing section "[ishwarhtml]"
    Loaded services file OK.
    force user =
    force group =
    create mask = 0744
    force create mode = 00
    security mask = 0777
    force security mode = 00
    directory mask = 0755
    force directory mode = 00
    directory security mask = 0777
    force directory security mode = 00
    force unknown acl user = No
    force printername = No

  8. Re: [Samba] smb.conf setting for file permissions?

    On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 02:44:45PM -0500, Mike Eggleston wrote:

    > Yep, I did. Waste of bandwidth.

    Not really :-). For this (older) version it looks like create mask
    is overriding the chmod. Try setting create mask to 0777 and see if
    this fixes it.

    Jeremy.

    > Mike
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > [root@ishwar root]# testparm -s -v | egrep -i 'mask|force'
    > Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
    > Processing section "[homes]"
    > Processing section "[ishwarhome]"
    > Processing section "[ishwar1]"
    > Processing section "[ishwar2]"
    > Processing section "[ishwar3]"
    > Processing section "[ishwar4]"
    > Processing section "[ishwarhtml]"
    > Loaded services file OK.
    > force user =
    > force group =
    > create mask = 0744
    > force create mode = 00
    > security mask = 0777
    > force security mode = 00
    > directory mask = 0755
    > force directory mode = 00
    > directory security mask = 0777
    > force directory security mode = 00
    > force unknown acl user = No
    > force printername = No

  9. Re: [Samba] smb.conf setting for file permissions?

    On Fri, 23 May 2008, Jeremy Allison might have said:

    > On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 02:44:45PM -0500, Mike Eggleston wrote:
    >
    > > Yep, I did. Waste of bandwidth.

    > Not really :-). For this (older) version it looks like create mask
    > is overriding the chmod. Try setting create mask to 0777 and see if
    > this fixes it.
    >
    > Jeremy.
    >
    > > Mike
    > >
    > > ------------------------------
    > > [root@ishwar root]# testparm -s -v | egrep -i 'mask|force'
    > > Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
    > > Processing section "[homes]"
    > > Processing section "[ishwarhome]"
    > > Processing section "[ishwar1]"
    > > Processing section "[ishwar2]"
    > > Processing section "[ishwar3]"
    > > Processing section "[ishwar4]"
    > > Processing section "[ishwarhtml]"
    > > Loaded services file OK.
    > > force user =
    > > force group =
    > > create mask = 0744
    > > force create mode = 00
    > > security mask = 0777
    > > force security mode = 00
    > > directory mask = 0755
    > > force directory mode = 00
    > > directory security mask = 0777
    > > force directory security mode = 00
    > > force unknown acl user = No
    > > force printername = No

    Jeremy,

    Thank you for the setting. Putting 'create mask' in the share seems to
    work. By the name 'create' I expected the parameter only to work when
    a file was created; not when a file was changed.

    Mike

  10. Re: [Samba] smb.conf setting for file permissions?

    On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 02:57:53PM -0500, Mike Eggleston wrote:

    > Jeremy,
    >
    > Thank you for the setting. Putting 'create mask' in the share seems to
    > work. By the name 'create' I expected the parameter only to work when
    > a file was created; not when a file was changed.

    That's the way it works in modern Samba - for 3.0.9 I remembered
    we had that bug.

    Jeremy.