[Samba] [Slightly OT] Mac and Samba - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] [Slightly OT] Mac and Samba - Samba ; Hello all... I have a question that is outside the realm of my experience but that has come up several times recently. I have a mixed network (some Macs, some PCs) that needs a server. I'm going through the standard ...

  1. [Samba] [Slightly OT] Mac and Samba

    Hello all...
    I have a question that is outside the realm of my experience but that
    has come up several times recently.

    I have a mixed network (some Macs, some PCs) that needs a server. I'm
    going through the standard process of deciding between Samba and a
    Windows domain controller, my strong preference being to install
    Linux/Samba server. The sticking point seems to be that the Mac users
    need to be able to run Access and Quickbooks, recent versions, neither
    of which are ported to the Mac as I understand it.

    So my question is this: When faced with this situation, what do folks
    out there do? Install a Terminal server of some flavor (out of reach
    for this tiny non-profit)? Or is there some simple thing I could do
    that would bridge the gap in a cost effective and reasonably easy to
    administer way?

    Thanks very much in advance,
    Rubin
    --
    Rubin Bennett
    RB Technologies

    temporary security deserve neither liberty nor safety"
    --Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

  2. Re: [Samba] [Slightly OT] Mac and Samba

    2008/5/21 Rubin Bennett :
    > Hello all...
    > I have a question that is outside the realm of my experience but that
    > has come up several times recently.
    >
    > I have a mixed network (some Macs, some PCs) that needs a server. I'm
    > going through the standard process of deciding between Samba and a
    > Windows domain controller, my strong preference being to install
    > Linux/Samba server.

    The Mac won't join to a Samba (NT4-style) domain, only to an Active
    Directory domain.

    > The sticking point seems to be that the Mac users
    > need to be able to run Access and Quickbooks, recent versions, neither
    > of which are ported to the Mac as I understand it.

    You could run these under Parallels or VMware Fusion.

    > So my question is this: When faced with this situation, what do folks
    > out there do? Install a Terminal server of some flavor (out of reach
    > for this tiny non-profit)? Or is there some simple thing I could do
    > that would bridge the gap in a cost effective and reasonably easy to
    > administer way?
    >
    > Thanks very much in advance,
    > Rubin
    > --
    > Rubin Bennett
    > RB Technologies
    > http://thatitguy.com
    > rbennett@thatitguy.com
    > (802)223-4448
    >
    > "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
    > temporary security deserve neither liberty nor safety"
    > --Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
    >

    > --

    James Peach | jorgar@gmail.com

  3. Re: [Samba] [Slightly OT] Mac and Samba

    On Wed, 21 May 2008, James Peach wrote:

    > The Mac won't join to a Samba (NT4-style) domain, only to an Active
    > Directory domain.

    I have several Macs (Tiger) joined to a Samba-hosted domain with no
    problems. Haven't tried it with Leopard, though.

    Steve