[Samba] [samba 3.0.25c] disappearing printers problem - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] [samba 3.0.25c] disappearing printers problem - Samba ; Scenario: Citrix, Win2k3. Solaris 9 Server - latest Solaris patch Samba 3.0.25c Every Monday morning, since applying the latest Solaris patches which upgraded samba from 3.0.21b -> 3.0.25c, the following occurs. The Citrix clients can no longer print. Active directory ...

  1. [Samba] [samba 3.0.25c] disappearing printers problem

    Scenario:

    Citrix, Win2k3.

    Solaris 9 Server - latest Solaris patch Samba 3.0.25c

    Every Monday morning, since applying the latest Solaris patches which
    upgraded samba from 3.0.21b -> 3.0.25c, the following occurs. The Citrix
    clients can no longer print.

    Active directory was also switched to 2003 native mode.

    Sunday night, Citrix servers undergo a weekly reboot.

    Week 1 and 2:Monday morning start of business the Citrix clients cannot
    print to the Samba print shares. Restart Samba, service restored.

    Week 3 and 4: Monday Morning before start of business, restart samba via
    cron scheduler, Start of business, Citrix clients cannot print..
    restart samba again.. service restored.

    Week 5: Admin on site. Manually restart samba, test user tries to print
    and cannot, however smbstatus shows the citrix server connects and pulls
    the data file for formatting the raw print job, but the print share
    never registers an access. restart samba again, Citrix server pulls file
    and printer session registers in smbstatus.

    Week 6: I'm dreading this. Rollback to 3.0.21b?

    Data points:

    Printers are individually defined in the smb.conf

    'browseable=' is not defined in any section.

    Joe Greene

    UNIX Systems Administrator

    Phone 317-707-2730

    Fax 317-707-2397

    Hours M-F 7am-4pm

  2. Re: [Samba] [samba 3.0.25c] disappearing printers problem

    On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 02:17:27PM -0400, Greene, Joe wrote:
    > Scenario:
    >
    > Citrix, Win2k3.
    >
    > Solaris 9 Server - latest Solaris patch Samba 3.0.25c
    >

    > Every Monday morning, since applying the latest Solaris patches which
    > upgraded samba from 3.0.21b -> 3.0.25c, the following occurs. The Citrix
    > clients can no longer print.
    >
    > Active directory was also switched to 2003 native mode.
    >

    > Sunday night, Citrix servers undergo a weekly reboot.
    >
    > Week 1 and 2:Monday morning start of business the Citrix clients cannot
    > print to the Samba print shares. Restart Samba, service restored.
    >
    > Week 3 and 4: Monday Morning before start of business, restart samba via
    > cron scheduler, Start of business, Citrix clients cannot print..
    > restart samba again.. service restored.
    >
    > Week 5: Admin on site. Manually restart samba, test user tries to print
    > and cannot, however smbstatus shows the citrix server connects and pulls
    > the data file for formatting the raw print job, but the print share
    > never registers an access. restart samba again, Citrix server pulls file
    > and printer session registers in smbstatus.
    >

    > Week 6: I'm dreading this. Rollback to 3.0.21b?

    Need more info I'm afraid. What do the debug logs
    for smbd say ?

    Jeremy.

  3. RE: [Samba] [samba 3.0.25c] disappearing printers problem

    debug was not turned on, but no errors or access showed when it failed.
    I can't try again until the Tuesday after Memorial Day as they are
    production servers.. I'll try and get debugs then.