[Samba] SAMBA PDC with LDAP backend syncing unix/samba accounts ... - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] SAMBA PDC with LDAP backend syncing unix/samba accounts ... - Samba ; Hi , Thanks Edmundo and Louis for the input. Edmundo you are absolutely right about three hashes. I figuered that part. I always wondered how will samba generate a hash from my unix hash . Now coming back to my ...

  1. [Samba] SAMBA PDC with LDAP backend syncing unix/samba accounts ...

    Hi ,
    Thanks Edmundo and Louis for the input.
    Edmundo you are absolutely right about three hashes.
    I figuered that part. I always wondered how will samba
    generate a hash from my unix hash .

    Now coming back to my question. I will try and be even more
    specific.

    IF a user tries to change password on his/her wks, then
    he/she uses "passwd" in which case it uses pam and unix
    password is changed leaving samba password.

    How do I provide my users a common password sync option on
    their respective workstation ?

    Anybody ,

    Thanks in advance,
    yogesh

  2. RE: [Samba] SAMBA PDC with LDAP backend syncing unix/samba accounts ...

    I'm coming into this half way through but won't ldap passwd sync = yes
    work? Or does that only work when you change your password from samba?

    Jason Waters

    > Edmundo you are absolutely right about three hashes.
    > I figuered that part. I always wondered how will samba
    > generate a hash from my unix hash .
    >
    > Now coming back to my question. I will try and be even more
    > specific.
    >
    > IF a user tries to change password on his/her wks, then
    > he/she uses "passwd" in which case it uses pam and unix
    > password is changed leaving samba password.
    >
    > How do I provide my users a common password sync option on
    > their respective workstation ?
    >
    > Anybody ,
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > yogesh

    You can use "smbpasswd -r pdcname".
    This is the simplest way to change the password.

    If you really want to use the passwd command, you will need to use
    winbind in these workstations and the pam_winbind.so pam module to
    change the password trough it.

    You could even use smbldap-passwd to change the password directly in the
    base, but you would need to make some changes in the script first.

    Regards.

    Edmundo Valle Neto

  3. Re: [Samba] SAMBA PDC with LDAP backend syncing unix/samba accounts ...

    yogi escreveu:
    > Hi ,
    > Thanks Edmundo and Louis for the input.
    > Edmundo you are absolutely right about three hashes.
    > I figuered that part. I always wondered how will samba
    > generate a hash from my unix hash .
    >
    > Now coming back to my question. I will try and be even more
    > specific.
    >
    > IF a user tries to change password on his/her wks, then
    > he/she uses "passwd" in which case it uses pam and unix
    > password is changed leaving samba password.
    >
    > How do I provide my users a common password sync option on
    > their respective workstation ?
    >
    > Anybody ,
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > yogesh

    You can use "smbpasswd -r pdcname".
    This is the simplest way to change the password.

    If you really want to use the passwd command, you will need to use
    winbind in these workstations and the pam_winbind.so pam module to
    change the password trough it.

    You could even use smbldap-passwd to change the password directly in the
    base, but you would need to make some changes in the script first.

    Regards.

    Edmundo Valle Neto

  4. Re: [Samba] SAMBA PDC with LDAP backend syncing unix/samba accounts ...

    Jason Waters escreveu:
    > I'm coming into this half way through but won't ldap passwd sync = yes
    > work? Or does that only work when you change your password from samba?
    >
    > Jason Waters
    >
    > (...)
    > You can use "smbpasswd -r pdcname".
    > This is the simplest way to change the password.
    >
    > If you really want to use the passwd command, you will need to use
    > winbind in these workstations and the pam_winbind.so pam module to
    > change the password trough it.
    >
    > You could even use smbldap-passwd to change the password directly in the
    > base, but you would need to make some changes in the script first.
    >

    > Regards.
    >
    > Edmundo Valle Neto

    Yes, it will only work for commands that relies on samba itself to
    change the password. Here passwd is NOT included.
    Is was shown three approaches, using samba (smbpasswd), using PAM
    (passwd) and using LDAP directly.

    Regards.

    Edmundo Valle Neto