[Samba] samba server maxing out cpu, load up to 10 - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] samba server maxing out cpu, load up to 10 - Samba ; This is samba 3.0.23c running on RHEL 5.0. Starting a few months ago, the server started periodically slowing to a crawl. The cpu would be maxed out and top would show the load between 5 and 10 (it's usually way ...

  1. [Samba] samba server maxing out cpu, load up to 10

    This is samba 3.0.23c running on RHEL 5.0. Starting a few months ago,
    the server started periodically slowing to a crawl. The cpu would be
    maxed out and top would show the load between 5 and 10 (it's usually way
    under 1, like 0.3 to 0.5).

    Any way to figure out what is causing this? This is a 3.2 ghz P4 and a
    'pgrep smbd' returns 141 processes. We only have about 300 users who
    could be accessing it. This server also authenticates to a Windows 2000
    domain controller.

    I reboot the server and sometimes it seems to help for a couple days,
    and sometimes the load immediately comes back and we just have to wait
    till the next day.

    Thanks for any help,

    James

  2. RE: [Samba] samba server maxing out cpu, load up to 10

    > I reboot the server and sometimes it seems to help for a couple days,
    and sometimes the
    > load immediately comes back and we just have to wait till the next

    day.

    We used to have a similar problem - but I've not seen it in a long time.

    It was always a badly behaved PC and often involved a Publisher document
    being stuck open.

    Running top, see if one smbd process is hogging the CPU. You should be
    able to work that back to a PC using smbstatus, and I think that's where
    the problem will be...

    Alex

    --
    Alex Harrington - Network Manager, Longhill High School

    t: 01273 304086 | e: alex@longhill.org.uk

  3. RE: [Samba] samba server maxing out cpu, load up to 10

    I tried that, but nothing is really sticking at the top of the cpu
    usage. One pid will be up there using 30-40%, and next refresh
    something else will be up there using 30-40%.

    Today, everything is working great. The load is 0.3 and a pgrep shows
    there are 152 smbd processes running (actually 11 more than when the
    server was overloaded, yesterday). This just doesn't seem to make any
    sense.

    The other thing I notice is the winbind processes. Yesterday, one was
    using 30% of the cpu and the other was using 5% of the cpu, but today
    one is using only 1% of the cpu and the other is using 0%.

    James