[Samba] Write Once Read Many share with samba - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Write Once Read Many share with samba - Samba ; Hi I am trying to simulate a Write Once Read Many (WORM) drive using Samba. Eg. Anyone can write on a drive, but once the file has been written no one can delete or modify the file. This is something ...

  1. [Samba] Write Once Read Many share with samba

    Hi

    I am trying to simulate a Write Once Read Many (WORM) drive using Samba.
    Eg. Anyone can write on a drive, but once the file has been written no
    one can delete or modify the file.

    This is something that is quite easily done using a Windows Server,
    but I haven't managed to do so using Samba.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance
    Jean-Yes

  2. Re: [Samba] Write Once Read Many share with samba

    On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 07:03:39PM +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am trying to simulate a Write Once Read Many (WORM) drive using Samba.
    > Eg. Anyone can write on a drive, but once the file has been written no
    > one can delete or modify the file.
    >
    > This is something that is quite easily done using a Windows Server,
    > but I haven't managed to do so using Samba.

    How are you setting this up under Windows ? That might give us a
    clue.

    Thanks,

    Jeremy.

  3. Re: [Samba] Write Once Read Many share with samba

    Hi

    2008/5/19 Jeremy Allison :
    > How are you setting this up under Windows ? That might give us a
    > clue.

    On Windows :
    Check "Create Files / Write Data",
    Uncheck: "Create Folders / Append Data"

    Jean-Yves

  4. [Samba] Re: Write Once Read Many share with samba

    Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

    > On Windows :
    > Check "Create Files / Write Data",
    > Uncheck: "Create Folders / Append Data"

    I don't think it is possible with Unix or Samba permissions to:

    * allow file writes but deny file appends (and other modifications?).
    * allow creating files but deny creating folders.

    which appears to be what you have done under windows.

    Brian May

  5. Re: [Samba] Re: Write Once Read Many share with samba

    You could handle this outside of Samba with ACLs on your filesystem.
    Assuming you use ext3 for the filesys, there are some rather good acl
    tools for that.

    just a thought,
    Jack

    Brian May wrote:
    > Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
    >
    >> On Windows :
    >> Check "Create Files / Write Data",
    >> Uncheck: "Create Folders / Append Data"

    > I don't think it is possible with Unix or Samba permissions to:
    >
    > * allow file writes but deny file appends (and other modifications?).
    > * allow creating files but deny creating folders.
    >
    > which appears to be what you have done under windows.
    >
    > Brian May

  6. Re: [Samba] Re: Write Once Read Many share with samba

    Hi

    2008/5/20 Brian May :
    > I don't think it is possible with Unix or Samba permissions to:
    >
    > * allow file writes but deny file appends (and other modifications?).
    > * allow creating files but deny creating folders.
    >
    > which appears to be what you have done under windows.

    This was my thoughts.
    Samba is running on a FreeBSD 6.3 AMD64 server, filesystem is UFS.

    I don't know of any ACL tools...

    Oh well, at least I've tried

    Jean-Yves

  7. [Samba] Re: Write Once Read Many share with samba

    Jack Downes wrote:
    > You could handle this outside of Samba with ACLs on your filesystem.
    > Assuming you use ext3 for the filesys, there are some rather good acl
    > tools for that.

    I don't think POSIX ACLs will do this either.

    Brian May

  8. Re: [Samba] Re: Write Once Read Many share with samba

    Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > 2008/5/20 Brian May :
    >
    >> I don't think it is possible with Unix or Samba permissions to:
    >>
    >> * allow file writes but deny file appends (and other modifications?).
    >> * allow creating files but deny creating folders.
    >>
    >> which appears to be what you have done under windows.
    >>

    > This was my thoughts.
    > Samba is running on a FreeBSD 6.3 AMD64 server, filesystem is UFS.
    >
    > I don't know of any ACL tools...

    How about a VFS module that overrides just open, rmdir, rename and
    unlink? unlink/rmdir/rename becomes a no-op, open for write fails if the
    file exists?

  9. Re: [Samba] Write Once Read Many share with samba

    On 2008-05-18 at 19:03 +1000 Jean-Yves Avenard sent off:
    > I am trying to simulate a Write Once Read Many (WORM) drive using Samba.
    > Eg. Anyone can write on a drive, but once the file has been written no
    > one can delete or modify the file.

    try making the shared directory be owned by root:root and mode 1777 and set
    the "WORM" share settings like this:

    read only = no
    inherit owner = yes
    force create mode = 0644
    force directory mode = 1777
    nt acl support = no

    Cheers
    Björn

  10. Re: [Samba] Re: Write Once Read Many share with samba

    Hello all,

    I've knocked together a vfs module that does this, basically a worm with
    the exception of directories. directories can be renamed if they're
    empty, otherwise it's readonly. I'm not sure what the policy is with
    posting attachments so won't include it here, give me a shout if your
    interested in it.

  11. Re: [Samba] Re: Write Once Read Many share with samba

    On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 01:15:02PM -0400, Mike Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I've knocked together a vfs module that does this, basically a worm with
    > the exception of directories. directories can be renamed if they're
    > empty, otherwise it's readonly. I'm not sure what the policy is with
    > posting attachments so won't include it here, give me a shout if your
    > interested in it.

    If you're willing to post it under your (C) and GPLv3 I'd be happy to
    take a look and maybe add it to the official source tree.

    Thanks a lot for the help !

    Jeremy.