samba4: machine and user accounts - Samba

This is a discussion on samba4: machine and user accounts - Samba ; Hello all, Is it really necessary to have local user and machine accounts on a samba4 dc, if all that box does is act as the dc? All file sharing will be from other hosts (samba3). Anyone have any information/advice?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

  1. samba4: machine and user accounts

    Hello all,

    Is it really necessary to have local user and machine accounts on a
    samba4 dc, if all that box does is act as the dc? All file sharing will
    be from other hosts (samba3). Anyone have any information/advice?

  2. Re: samba4: machine and user accounts

    On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 16:09 -0400, Mike Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Is it really necessary to have local user and machine accounts on a
    > samba4 dc, if all that box does is act as the dc? All file sharing will
    > be from other hosts (samba3). Anyone have any information/advice?

    Unlike Samba3, Samba4 does not use local unix accounts in this way.
    Instead (unless a specific map is setup) they are allocated new UIDs and
    GIDs from a pool, and these will be available to posix via winbind.

    In short, it is best *not* to have matching users in /etc/passwd, as it
    will just create confusion. This applies to Samba4 alpha3 and beyond.

    Andrew Bartlett

    --
    Andrew Bartlett
    http://samba.org/~abartlet/

  3. Re: samba4: machine and user accounts

    Andrew Bartlett wrote:
    > Unlike Samba3, Samba4 does not use local unix accounts in this way.
    > Instead (unless a specific map is setup) they are allocated new UIDs and
    > GIDs from a pool, and these will be available to posix via winbind.
    >
    > In short, it is best *not* to have matching users in /etc/passwd, as it
    > will just create confusion. This applies to Samba4 alpha3 and beyond.

    Hello Andrew,

    Thanks.

    We'd got a bunch of error logs regarding missing local user accounts
    when using the tarball 4a3, and noticed these went away with the rsync'd
    version "4.0.0alpha4-GIT-0c09d28", but wanted to be sure.

    Can I ask you a sort of related follow up?

    If you had a SBS server that's looking unhealthy, would you consider a
    samba4 DC in its current state as a workable replacement for the
    auth/GPO role?

  4. Re: samba4: machine and user accounts

    On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 21:58 -0400, Mike Wilkinson wrote:
    > Andrew Bartlett wrote:
    > > Unlike Samba3, Samba4 does not use local unix accounts in this way.
    > > Instead (unless a specific map is setup) they are allocated new UIDs and
    > > GIDs from a pool, and these will be available to posix via winbind.
    > >
    > > In short, it is best *not* to have matching users in /etc/passwd, as it
    > > will just create confusion. This applies to Samba4 alpha3 and beyond.
    > >

    > Hello Andrew,
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > We'd got a bunch of error logs regarding missing local user accounts
    > when using the tarball 4a3, and noticed these went away with the rsync'd
    > version "4.0.0alpha4-GIT-0c09d28", but wanted to be sure.

    Hmm, can you post them so I can give a more informed response?

    > Can I ask you a sort of related follow up?
    >
    > If you had a SBS server that's looking unhealthy, would you consider a
    > samba4 DC in its current state as a workable replacement for the
    > auth/GPO role?

    This very much depends how much you are willing/able to work with me on
    things that come up, and what features you need.

    Getting the data syncronised across *should* be possible (with the new
    'net vampire' command), but we might need to work on some things
    manually (that command does not create backlinks - like memberOf, but if
    we dump/restore from LDIF, we can probably fix that, or I can finish the
    code).

    Similarly, you will no doubt find other issues. Even if you decide is
    isn't viable, trying it out (perhaps only to pre-production) would give
    me *very* valuable information that I need to help push Samba4 towards a
    beta.

    Andrew Bartlett

    --
    Andrew Bartlett
    http://samba.org/~abartlet/

  5. Re: samba4: machine and user accounts

    >> We'd got a bunch of error logs regarding missing local user accounts
    >> when using the tarball 4a3, and noticed these went away with the rsync'd
    >> version "4.0.0alpha4-GIT-0c09d28", but wanted to be sure.
    >>

    > Hmm, can you post them so I can give a more informed response?

    sorry I had to provision another vm to test alongside the working one,
    and yesterday was a holiday, oh joy.

    [Tue May 20 17:30:06 2008 EDT, 0
    dsdb/common/sidmap.c:185:sidmap_sid_to_unixuid()]
    sAMAccountName 'BLAH$' for sid
    S-1-5-21-3121014420-4053203006-3203954893-1005 does not exist as a local
    user
    [Tue May 20 17:30:06 2008 EDT, 0
    dsdb/common/sidmap.c:185:sidmap_sid_to_unixuid()]
    sAMAccountName 'mwilkinson' for sid
    S-1-5-21-3121014420-4053203006-3203954893-1007 does not exist as a local
    user

    This with the released 4.0.0.alpha3, configured with no options,
    provisioned with:
    bin/smbpython ./setup/provision --realm=testing.local --domain=TESTING
    --adminpass=x --server-role='domain controller'

    and run with smbd -D

    the machine was joined, rebooted, ADUC ran and the user created, logout,
    login, then these are thrown in smbd.log. A similar error for the
    machine account was thrown earlier of course when logging in as admin.
    > This very much depends how much you are willing/able to work with me on
    > things that come up, and what features you need.
    >
    > Getting the data syncronised across *should* be possible (with the new
    > 'net vampire' command), but we might need to work on some things
    > manually (that command does not create backlinks - like memberOf, but if
    > we dump/restore from LDIF, we can probably fix that, or I can finish the
    > code).
    >
    > Similarly, you will no doubt find other issues. Even if you decide is
    > isn't viable, trying it out (perhaps only to pre-production) would give
    > me *very* valuable information that I need to help push Samba4 towards a
    > beta.

    I'd be happy to work with you if you have the time, although from what
    I've tested so far the auth is working, the GPOs are working, the only
    things we miss are replication (and given that the SBS doesn't do that
    we've already reached parity), and exchange attributes in ADUC.

    I think we're going to start from fresh regarding the data, so no need
    to do any migration.

  6. RE: samba4: machine and user accounts

    Hi,

    I had the same errors with Alpha 3, it works fine with latest sources,
    do a "git" and it should be ok.

    http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samb...ownload_Samba4

    You need to install git, first, then :

    git clone git://git.samba.org/samba.git samba4; cd samba4
    git checkout -b v4-0-test origin/v4-0-test; cd ..

    To get last sources :
    git pull origin v4-0-test

    You need to install autoconf and automake I think.
    Then "cd" to samba4/source and run :
    ../autogen.sh

    And configure :
    ../configure

    Or :
    ../configure.developer
    if you want debug symbols.

    Then :
    make && make install

    I've done two quick and dirty scripts to backup/restore my config.
    (see attachement, I don't know if it's really clean to do this way...
    adapt the "/shared/samba" path to the location where you want to run
    the scripts and the backup files)

    Manu.

  7. RE: samba4: machine and user accounts

    On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 00:15 +0200, Manu wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I had the same errors with Alpha 3, it works fine with latest sources,
    > do a "git" and it should be ok.

    Thanks. Sorry about the confusion, with the delay we had in announcing
    Samba4 alpha3, I sometimes forget which features landed for it...

    We hope to get an alpha4 out sometime soon (once the LDB changes land),
    but in the meantime, the git lottery might give you better odds ;-)

    Andrew Bartlett

    --
    Andrew Bartlett
    http://samba.org/~abartlet/

  8. Re: samba4: machine and user accounts

    On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 17:48 -0400, Mike Wilkinson wrote:

    > > This very much depends how much you are willing/able to work with me on
    > > things that come up, and what features you need.
    > >
    > > Getting the data syncronised across *should* be possible (with the new
    > > 'net vampire' command), but we might need to work on some things
    > > manually (that command does not create backlinks - like memberOf, but if
    > > we dump/restore from LDIF, we can probably fix that, or I can finish the
    > > code).
    > >
    > > Similarly, you will no doubt find other issues. Even if you decide is
    > > isn't viable, trying it out (perhaps only to pre-production) would give
    > > me *very* valuable information that I need to help push Samba4 towards a
    > > beta.
    > >

    > I'd be happy to work with you if you have the time, although from what
    > I've tested so far the auth is working, the GPOs are working, the only
    > things we miss are replication (and given that the SBS doesn't do that
    > we've already reached parity), and exchange attributes in ADUC.

    Do you need exchange attributes, or exchange working against Samba4?

    There is rather a large difference between the two, but on a positive
    note, the folks at PostPath are working on allowing schema modification,
    so their exchange replacement (and therefore in future, things like an
    OpenChange server) can add schema at runtime.

    Andrew Bartlett

    --
    Andrew Bartlett
    http://samba.org/~abartlet/

  9. Re: samba4: machine and user accounts

    Andrew Bartlett wrote:
    > Do you need exchange attributes, or exchange working against Samba4?
    >
    > There is rather a large difference between the two, but on a positive
    > note, the folks at PostPath are working on allowing schema modification,
    > so their exchange replacement (and therefore in future, things like an
    > OpenChange server) can add schema at runtime.

    Just the attributes is fine, the exchange server will be no more.

    In reality, it's just the list of email addresses and the ability to
    hide from exchange address lists that we need, but I guess it's all or
    nothing pretty much.

  10. Re: samba4: machine and user accounts

    Manu wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I had the same errors with Alpha 3, it works fine with latest sources,
    > do a "git" and it should be ok.

    Indeed that's what we saw here.

    Perhaps it might be worth releasing a new alpha tarball given that the
    4.0.0alpha4GIT is already so much more of an improvement? I guess more
    hits via http than rsync/git, so updating the tarball would help generally.

  11. Re: samba4: machine and user accounts

    On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 21:13 -0400, Mike Wilkinson wrote:
    > Manu wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I had the same errors with Alpha 3, it works fine with latest sources,
    > > do a "git" and it should be ok.
    > >

    > Indeed that's what we saw here.
    >
    > Perhaps it might be worth releasing a new alpha tarball given that the
    > 4.0.0alpha4GIT is already so much more of an improvement? I guess more
    > hits via http than rsync/git, so updating the tarball would help generally.

    I may well do that. I need a hand (on IRC) to do the release - I like a
    third party to verify the changes, and it is great if someone can help
    me with the release notes. It takes a day or two to do, as I like to
    run a few extra tests, and ensure we don't put up duds.

    I know Simo is very keen to get his ldb changes in, and we will have to
    do a new release for that anyway (because it is a reasonably large
    semantic change), so for the moment I'm trying to wait for them.

    Andrew Bartlett

    --
    Andrew Bartlett
    http://samba.org/~abartlet/

  12. RE: samba4: machine and user accounts

    Building sources from git is very interesting

    Thanks a lot for your great work in Samba 4.
    Manu.

  13. RE: samba4: machine and user accounts

    May I help to do some tests?

    Manu.

  14. Re: samba4: machine and user accounts

    Andrew Bartlett wrote:
    > I may well do that. I need a hand (on IRC) to do the release - I like a
    > third party to verify the changes, and it is great if someone can help
    > me with the release notes. It takes a day or two to do, as I like to
    > run a few extra tests, and ensure we don't put up duds.
    >
    > I know Simo is very keen to get his ldb changes in, and we will have to
    > do a new release for that anyway (because it is a reasonably large
    > semantic change), so for the moment I'm trying to wait for them.

    I'll help as much as I can, just drop me a note off list. Things may be
    a bit busier for me in a few weeks though.

  15. RE: samba4: machine and user accounts

    On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 15:42 +0200, Manu wrote:
    > May I help to do some tests?

    Particularly since my work on CLDAP, tests of domain joins (to DNS and
    'short' domain names) from as many windows clients (but not Win2000 sp0)
    as possible are very welcome.

    Also testing of group policy application (within the known limitation
    that the policies are set as mandatory) would be very useful.

    Andrew Bartlett

    --
    Andrew Bartlett http://samba.org/~abartlet/
    Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc. http://redhat.com

  16. Re: samba4: machine and user accounts

    On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 21:04 -0400, Mike Wilkinson wrote:
    > Andrew Bartlett wrote:
    > > Do you need exchange attributes, or exchange working against Samba4?
    > >
    > > There is rather a large difference between the two, but on a positive
    > > note, the folks at PostPath are working on allowing schema modification,
    > > so their exchange replacement (and therefore in future, things like an
    > > OpenChange server) can add schema at runtime.
    > >

    > Just the attributes is fine, the exchange server will be no more.
    >
    > In reality, it's just the list of email addresses and the ability to
    > hide from exchange address lists that we need, but I guess it's all or
    > nothing pretty much.

    The easy way to do this is to run our 'minschema.js' script against a
    server with the Exhchange schema, and use that locally (possibly adding
    some objectclass values that you need).

    Andrew Bartlett

    --
    Andrew Bartlett http://samba.org/~abartlet/
    Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc. http://redhat.com

  17. Re: samba4: machine and user accounts

    Andrew Bartlett wrote:
    > The easy way to do this is to run our 'minschema.js' script against a
    > server with the Exhchange schema, and use that locally (possibly adding
    > some objectclass values that you need).

    This sounds great, but it throws:

    New event context requested. Parent: [struct cli_credentials:0x8b156b8]
    New event context requested. Parent: [talloc_new:
    scripting/ejs/smbscript.c:47:0x8af3038]
    ldb: Unable to find backend for 'ldap://xxxx'

    I'm assuming it's local setup, I've searched for info on smbscript but
    found nothing more than a few irc logs that appear to have gone more
    smoothly. smbscript isn't installed in the target directory, I've added
    ..../source/bin to the path. Any clues on what environment I need to set
    to have it find an ldap backend.

  18. Re: samba4: machine and user accounts

    On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 23:53 -0400, Mike Wilkinson wrote:
    > Andrew Bartlett wrote:
    > > The easy way to do this is to run our 'minschema.js' script against a
    > > server with the Exhchange schema, and use that locally (possibly adding
    > > some objectclass values that you need).
    > >

    > This sounds great, but it throws:
    >
    > New event context requested. Parent: [struct cli_credentials:0x8b156b8]
    > New event context requested. Parent: [talloc_new:
    > scripting/ejs/smbscript.c:47:0x8af3038]

    This is harmless. We need to work to remove new event context creation,
    and this is a reminder so we find them all.

    > ldb: Unable to find backend for 'ldap://xxxx'
    >
    > I'm assuming it's local setup, I've searched for info on smbscript but
    > found nothing more than a few irc logs that appear to have gone more
    > smoothly. smbscript isn't installed in the target directory, I've added
    > .../source/bin to the path. Any clues on what environment I need to set
    > to have it find an ldap backend.

    This *should* (I am assured) be fixed in current GIT. Do a new build,
    and 'make install'. If that doesn't work, then clean out your build
    tree and do a new build and 'make install'...

    Andrew Bartlett

    --
    Andrew Bartlett http://samba.org/~abartlet/
    Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc. http://redhat.com

  19. Re: samba4: machine and user accounts

    Andrew Bartlett wrote:
    >> ldb: Unable to find backend for 'ldap://xxxx'
    >>
    >> I'm assuming it's local setup, I've searched for info on smbscript but
    >> found nothing more than a few irc logs that appear to have gone more
    >> smoothly. smbscript isn't installed in the target directory, I've added
    >> .../source/bin to the path. Any clues on what environment I need to set
    >> to have it find an ldap backend.
    >>

    > This *should* (I am assured) be fixed in current GIT. Do a new build,
    > and 'make install'. If that doesn't work, then clean out your build
    > tree and do a new build and 'make install'..

    Rsynced 4.0.0alpha4-GIT-326b69b from scratch a short while ago, trashed
    /usr/local/samba, ./configured, make, make install, no change in the
    thrown error.

    Tried the python version (the one that gets installed in
    /usr/local/samba), set PYTHONPATH to
    /usr/local/samba/lib/python2.4/site-packages and that throws

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "samba/bin/minschema.py", line 9, in ?
    sys.path.insert(0, "bin/python")
    NameError: name 'sys' is not defined

    I know nothing of python, is this some kind of python version dependancy?

    Is there any smbscript dependancy on openldap libraries (I'm emerging
    them now to test).

  20. Re: samba4: machine and user accounts

    On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 14:06 -0400, Mike Wilkinson wrote:
    > Andrew Bartlett wrote:
    > >> ldb: Unable to find backend for 'ldap://xxxx'
    > >>
    > >> I'm assuming it's local setup, I've searched for info on smbscript but
    > >> found nothing more than a few irc logs that appear to have gone more
    > >> smoothly. smbscript isn't installed in the target directory, I've added
    > >> .../source/bin to the path. Any clues on what environment I need to set
    > >> to have it find an ldap backend.
    > >>

    > > This *should* (I am assured) be fixed in current GIT. Do a new build,
    > > and 'make install'. If that doesn't work, then clean out your build
    > > tree and do a new build and 'make install'..

    > Rsynced 4.0.0alpha4-GIT-326b69b from scratch a short while ago, trashed
    > /usr/local/samba, ./configured, make, make install, no change in the
    > thrown error.

    Sorry about the bum steer - it turns out this remains a problem with the
    current GIT tree.

    If you run:

    [abartlet@naomi source]$ cd //data/samba/samba4/prefix/modules/ldb/
    [abartlet@naomi ldb]$ ln -s ildap.so ldap.so
    [abartlet@naomi ldb]$ ln -s ildap.so ldapi.so
    [abartlet@naomi ldb]$ ln -s ildap.so ldaps.so

    Then this will fix it, until you run 'make install' again. Jelmer
    promises to fix this sometime soon...

    > Tried the python version (the one that gets installed in
    > /usr/local/samba), set PYTHONPATH to
    > /usr/local/samba/lib/python2.4/site-packages and that throws
    >
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "samba/bin/minschema.py", line 9, in ?
    > sys.path.insert(0, "bin/python")
    > NameError: name 'sys' is not defined
    >
    > I know nothing of python, is this some kind of python version dependancy?

    No, I think that this is a 'minschema isn't tested, so it broke'
    dependency... I hope Jelmer can comment further.

    > Is there any smbscript dependancy on openldap libraries (I'm emerging
    > them now to test).

    There is no dependency on OpenLDAP

    Andrew Bartlett

    --