[Samba] Samba not working the same on all servers - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Samba not working the same on all servers - Samba ; I have four (development, system test, user test and production) Solaris 2.8 servers set up running samba. Each of the four server has the same samba 30 users in the smb.conf file. Samba is working perfect on all but one ...

  1. [Samba] Samba not working the same on all servers

    I have four (development, system test, user test and production)
    Solaris 2.8 servers set up running samba. Each of the four server has
    the same samba 30 users in the smb.conf file. Samba is working perfect
    on all but one of these servers and on that one server 4 of the users
    can not connect thru samba, but the other 26 have no problem at all.
    The smb.conf is the same on all four servers.

    Sometimes I just wish someone who understands me would tell me what I
    mean

    Skeeter Glenn

  2. Re: [Samba] Samba not working the same on all servers

    Glenn, Skeeter wrote:
    > I have four (development, system test, user test and production)
    > Solaris 2.8 servers set up running samba. Each of the four server has
    > the same samba 30 users in the smb.conf file. Samba is working perfect
    > on all but one of these servers and on that one server 4 of the users
    > can not connect thru samba, but the other 26 have no problem at all.
    > The smb.conf is the same on all four servers.
    >
    > Sometimes I just wish someone who understands me would tell me what I
    > mean
    >
    > Skeeter Glenn

    Are you using system policies? You might have overriding user/group
    settings.
    You might want to check that the server has the same nt policy file in
    the netlogon share as the other servers.
    Does it matter which client box those four users try to log on from?

    I assume the box that isn't working is the 'user test' box? It seems my
    test boxes always have testing crud that bites me in the butt.
    Also, what do those four users have in common that the other 26 don't?

  3. RE: [Samba] Samba not working the same on all servers

    I have the same smb.conf on all four servers. So I am not sure about
    your comment about the system policies. Three of the servers (that work
    perfect) are all in the same room. The one with issues is in a whole
    other city and different network.

    On this machine that has issues. There are 30 samba users. 5 of those
    users are in the midwest all in the same building, same floor with in
    two cubes of each other. BUT. One of those 5 have no connection
    problems at all, just the other four.

    Does this help?

    > I have four (development, system test, user test and production)
    > Solaris 2.8 servers set up running samba. Each of the four server has

    > the same samba 30 users in the smb.conf file. Samba is working
    > perfect on all but one of these servers and on that one server 4 of
    > the users can not connect thru samba, but the other 26 have no problem

    at all.
    > The smb.conf is the same on all four servers.
    >
    > Sometimes I just wish someone who understands me would tell me what I
    > mean
    >
    > Skeeter Glenn

    Are you using system policies? You might have overriding user/group
    settings.
    You might want to check that the server has the same nt policy file in
    the netlogon share as the other servers.
    Does it matter which client box those four users try to log on from?

    I assume the box that isn't working is the 'user test' box? It seems my
    test boxes always have testing crud that bites me in the butt.
    Also, what do those four users have in common that the other 26 don't?

  4. Re: [Samba] Samba not working the same on all servers

    On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 10:59:36AM -0700, Glenn, Skeeter wrote:
    > I have the same smb.conf on all four servers. So I am not sure about
    > your comment about the system policies. Three of the servers (that work
    > perfect) are all in the same room. The one with issues is in a whole
    > other city and different network.
    >
    > On this machine that has issues. There are 30 samba users. 5 of those
    > users are in the midwest all in the same building, same floor with in
    > two cubes of each other. BUT. One of those 5 have no connection
    > problems at all, just the other four.

    What is needed is your smb.conf, and a debug level 10 log of
    the smbd that fails.

    Volker

+ Reply to Thread