[Samba] Samba PDC - XP Client refuses to join! - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Samba PDC - XP Client refuses to join! - Samba ; Hi all, I have been setting up a samba3 domain controller, all seems to work fins on the samba side, until i try to join a workstation to the domain. From a windows XP client, the following happens... Enter computer ...

  1. [Samba] Samba PDC - XP Client refuses to join!

    Hi all,

    I have been setting up a samba3 domain controller, all seems to work
    fins on the samba side, until i try to join a workstation to the domain.

    From a windows XP client, the following happens...
    Enter computer properties, computer name tab... click Change...
    Enter "SUSSEXMC.COM" in the domain box, click ok
    Now is where things start going wrong..
    XP waits for a little while, before responding with:

    "A Domain Controller for the domain SUSSEXMC.COM could not be contacted"

    Clicking details reveals:

    "DNS was succesfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource
    record used to locate a domain controller for the domain: SUSSEXMC.COM
    The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.SUSSEXMC.COM
    The following domain controllers were identified by the query:
    smc1.sussexmc.com
    Common causes of this error include:
    - Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its IP
    addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses
    - Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network
    or are not running."

    Now ALL using the same XP client...
    I can verify that the A records are correct using nslookup (Server ip is
    10.10.1.1, reported by DNS server at 10.10.1.1 (Also the machine gets
    its IP address from DHCP on the same server, and this correctly updates
    the forward and reverse dns zones to reflect this))

    I can also verify the DC is running, as if i manually enter "\\smc1" or
    "\\smc1.sussexmc.com" into windows explorer (the first time) i am
    prompted for a username/password (and providing valid credntials allows
    me to logon and see the main shares on the PDC (sysvol, netlogon,
    printers), as well as the users home folder).

    What am I missing??
    James

  2. Re: [Samba] Samba PDC - XP Client refuses to join!

    paste your smb.conf

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have been setting up a samba3 domain controller, all seems to work
    > fins on the samba side, until i try to join a workstation to the domain.
    >
    > From a windows XP client, the following happens...
    > Enter computer properties, computer name tab... click Change...
    > Enter "SUSSEXMC.COM" in the domain box, click ok
    > Now is where things start going wrong..
    > XP waits for a little while, before responding with:
    >
    > "A Domain Controller for the domain SUSSEXMC.COM could not be contacted"
    >
    > Clicking details reveals:
    >
    > "DNS was succesfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource
    > record used to locate a domain controller for the domain: SUSSEXMC.COM
    > The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.SUSSEXMC.COM
    > The following domain controllers were identified by the query:
    > smc1.sussexmc.com
    > Common causes of this error include:
    > - Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its IP
    > addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses
    > - Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network
    > or are not running."
    >
    > Now ALL using the same XP client...
    > I can verify that the A records are correct using nslookup (Server ip is
    > 10.10.1.1, reported by DNS server at 10.10.1.1 (Also the machine gets
    > its IP address from DHCP on the same server, and this correctly updates
    > the forward and reverse dns zones to reflect this))
    >
    > I can also verify the DC is running, as if i manually enter "\\smc1" or
    > "\\smc1.sussexmc.com" into windows explorer (the first time) i am
    > prompted for a username/password (and providing valid credntials allows
    > me to logon and see the main shares on the PDC (sysvol, netlogon,
    > printers), as well as the users home folder).
    >
    > What am I missing??
    > James
    > --

  3. Re: [Samba] Samba PDC - XP Client refuses to join!

    smc1:/var/lib/samba # cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
    # smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
    # version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE if the
    # samba-doc package is installed.
    # Date: 2007-12-04

    [global]
    workgroup = SUSSEXMC
    netbios name = SMC1
    server string = Samba PDC
    time server = Yes
    domain logons = Yes
    domain master = Yes
    preferred master = Yes
    wins support = Yes
    os level = 65
    #map acl inherit = Yes
    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost
    ldap suffix = dc=sussexmc,dc=com
    ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=sussexmc,dc=com
    ldap user suffix = ou=People
    ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
    ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
    ldap passwd sync = Yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    log level = 1
    max log size = 50
    syslog = 0
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = true
    Dos charset = 850
    unix charset = LOCALE
    preserve case = yes
    short preserve case = yes
    case sensitive = no
    interfaces = eth0, lo
    bind interfaces only = Yes
    enable privileges = Yes
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
    printcap name = CUPS
    printing = cups
    printer admin = root
    passwd program = /usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd -u "%u"
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
    add user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
    delete user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-userdel "%u"
    add group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
    delete group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupdel "%g"
    add user to group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
    delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u" "%g"
    set primary group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"
    [homes]
    comment = '%u'
    browseable = no
    writable = yes
    public = no
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700
    [sysvol]
    path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
    read only = no

    [netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon/sussexmc.com/scripts
    guest ok = yes
    browsable = no
    writable = no
    ;root preexec = /usr/bin/ntlogon -u %U -g %G -o %a -d /var/lib/samba/netlogon/sussexmc.com/scripts
    ;root postexec = rm -f /var/lib/samba/netlogon/sussexmc.com/scripts/%U.bat
    [Profiles]
    path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
    browseable = no
    guest ok = yes
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700

    awilliam@mdah.state.ms.us wrote:
    > paste your smb.conf
    >

    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I have been setting up a samba3 domain controller, all seems to work
    >> fins on the samba side, until i try to join a workstation to the domain.
    >>
    >> From a windows XP client, the following happens...
    >> Enter computer properties, computer name tab... click Change...
    >> Enter "SUSSEXMC.COM" in the domain box, click ok
    >> Now is where things start going wrong..
    >> XP waits for a little while, before responding with:
    >>
    >> "A Domain Controller for the domain SUSSEXMC.COM could not be contacted"
    >>
    >> Clicking details reveals:
    >>
    >> "DNS was succesfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource
    >> record used to locate a domain controller for the domain: SUSSEXMC.COM
    >> The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.SUSSEXMC.COM
    >> The following domain controllers were identified by the query:
    >> smc1.sussexmc.com
    >> Common causes of this error include:
    >> - Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its IP
    >> addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses
    >> - Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network
    >> or are not running."
    >>
    >> Now ALL using the same XP client...
    >> I can verify that the A records are correct using nslookup (Server ip is
    >> 10.10.1.1, reported by DNS server at 10.10.1.1 (Also the machine gets
    >> its IP address from DHCP on the same server, and this correctly updates
    >> the forward and reverse dns zones to reflect this))
    >>
    >> I can also verify the DC is running, as if i manually enter "\\smc1" or
    >> "\\smc1.sussexmc.com" into windows explorer (the first time) i am
    >> prompted for a username/password (and providing valid credntials allows
    >> me to logon and see the main shares on the PDC (sysvol, netlogon,
    >> printers), as well as the users home folder).
    >>
    >> What am I missing??
    >> James
    >> --

  4. Re: [Samba] Samba PDC - XP Client refuses to join!

    in your previous email why are you trying to join the domain
    SUSSEXMC.COM when in your smb.conf it is just SUSSEXMC? on my computer
    properties, computer name, change, type in SUSSEXMC in the domain box.