[Samba] net view produces error 5 - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] net view produces error 5 - Samba ; I am debbuging my Kubuntu Linux to Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 and 2 connection using Andrew Tridgell's excellent diagnosis.txt. The test fails on test 5 which should return a list of available shares from the server. From the ...

  1. [Samba] net view produces error 5

    I am debbuging my Kubuntu Linux to Windows XP Professional Service Pack
    1 and 2 connection using Andrew Tridgell's excellent diagnosis.txt.

    The test fails on test 5 which should return a list of available shares
    from the server.

    From the XP command prompt:
    net view \\kinda
    System error 5 has occurred.
    Access is denied.

    I can't see why this error should be happening.
    Bother users have the same user name.
    The linux password is encrypted but I don't know about the WXP password.

  2. Re: [Samba] net view produces error 5

    Larry Alkoff wrote:
    > I am debbuging my Kubuntu Linux to Windows XP Professional Service Pack
    > 1 and 2 connection using Andrew Tridgell's excellent diagnosis.txt.
    >
    > The test fails on test 5 which should return a list of available shares
    > from the server.
    >
    > From the XP command prompt:
    > net view \\kinda
    > System error 5 has occurred.
    > Access is denied.
    >
    > I can't see why this error should be happening.
    > Bother users have the same user name.
    > The linux password is encrypted but I don't know about the WXP password.

    Problem fixed. Please ignore.

    I was trying to do net view \\kinda
    as root. Changing to user fixed it.

    Also it was Tridgell 8 not 5.