[Samba] SAMBA with NetApp filer - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] SAMBA with NetApp filer - Samba ; I'm newbies in SAMBA and NetApp filer , I use Filer with OpenLDAP as an authentication and authorization server , but look like NetApp doesn't work properly ( can't authentication ) , NetApp engineer suggest me that NetApp work properly ...

  1. [Samba] SAMBA with NetApp filer

    I'm newbies in SAMBA and NetApp filer , I use Filer with OpenLDAP as an
    authentication and authorization server , but look like NetApp doesn't
    work properly
    ( can't authentication ) , NetApp engineer suggest me that NetApp work
    properly with pure
    ActiveDirectory Environment. not SAMBA + OpenLDAP backend like me have.

    so I solve this problem by make Samba as native PDC and use OpenLDAP as
    database backend.
    So authentication are complete but next problem is home directory are not
    automatic create.
    then i try to solve this by mount NetApp CIFS share as '\homedir' and use
    mount.cifs to mount
    as local dir but not work too.

    even if i can mount CIFS on Filer but owner and permission after mount not
    work properly
    every file that i create on Filer are permission 777 and owner is who
    mount file system .
    but In correct way i want 'owner is who pass authentication and access only
    by owner '
    So if i authenticate through Filer permission is ok. ( but must change
    permission by hand )

    1. It's possible that I use remote storage ( Filer ) as Samba local file ?
    2. If it can , How do i ?

    everything on above is ok and correct if i use samba on local filesystem

    mount.cifs \\\\192.168.1.2\\homedir /var/samba/cifs2 -o
    username=smb-perm,gid=513(domain users )

  2. Re: [Samba] SAMBA with NetApp filer

    Hi,

    i just setup a NETAPP Filer and a few Unix/linux workstations myself with
    samba-winbind. I came across a lot of problems but I found out it's best to
    not use CIFS under Linux as it doesn't work 100%. Instead you should try to
    use NFS if you have a license for your netapp filer. We use mixed qtree
    styles to ensure that both, windows and unix can change the permissions on a
    file.

    Regards,
    Oli