wbinfo can turn names into sids, sids into names, and sids into uids.
However, getent passwd only finds users in the local /etc/passwd file.
Same for getent group. /etc/nsswitch.conf says this:

passwd: files winbind
group: files winbind
shadow: compat

I strace'd the getent command. It said it couldn't find /lib/libnss_winbind.so.2,
so I made that a symlink to /usr/local/samba/lib/nss_info/sfu.so. After that,
the strace output showed it finding and reading the file. However, the command
ended abruptly shortly after that, and I can't tell why. The samba logs don't
seem to show anything at all on behalf of the getent command.

Any ideas? Thanks

winbind was compiled like so:

./configure --with-ads --with-krb5 --with-pam --with-winbind --enable-rfc2307bis --enable-schema-mapping --with-shared-modules=idmap_ad,idmap_rid,rfc2307

smb.conf like so:

security = ADS
workgroup = MYDOMAIN
realm = mydomain.tld

idmap domains = MYDOMAIN
idmap config MYDOMAIN:backend = ad
idmap config MYDOMAIN:default = yes
idmap config MYDOMAIN:schema_mode = sfu
idmap config MYDOMAIN:range = 500-45000
idmap alloc backend = tdb
idmap alloc config:range = 45001-60000

winbind cache time = 0
winbind enum groups = yes
winbind enum users = yes
winbind nested groups = yes
winbind nss info = sfu
winbind separator = +
winbind use default domain = yes
Jon Detert
IT Systems Administrator, Milwaukee School of Engineering
1025 N. Broadway, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202, U.S.A.
Bad beer is like bad art. If you endure enough of it, eventually you forget
the alternatives.