[Samba] interdomain trust between two samba pdc's - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] interdomain trust between two samba pdc's - Samba ; I have been trying off and on for some time now to get an interdomain trust relationship going between two samba pdc machines (DomainA=trusted & DomainB=trusting). Both pdc's are running on Solaris boxes and NIS is involved (I doubt there ...

  1. [Samba] interdomain trust between two samba pdc's

    I have been trying off and on for some time now to get an interdomain trust
    relationship going between two samba pdc machines (DomainA=trusted &
    DomainB=trusting). Both pdc's are running on Solaris boxes and NIS is
    involved (I doubt there is a NIS complication just because I can use
    accounts on DomainA on DomainB's samba, as long as I add them using
    smbpasswd manually).

    The situation is this. DomainA hosts most user accounts for my two
    networks. Therefore DomainA should be trusted and DomainB should be
    trusting. The documentation is confusing and does not describe this exact
    scenario (talks about samba with microsoft pdc's). I have tried every
    combination I can think of, but things still aren't working as they should.

    I have added an account for DomainB on DomainA. I then type "smbpasswd -a
    -i DomainB", still working on DomainA. This seems to go through okay.
    However, when I type "net rpc trustdom list" on DomainA, I get the
    following:

    Trusted domains list:
    none

    Trusting domains list:
    Unable to find a suitable server
    domain controller is not responding
    DomainB

    I expect what I see for trusted, but for trusting, should I really be seeing
    those errors? What do they mean? Is the fact that DomainB is listed mean
    that it worked and I should ignore the errors?

    I guess I'll stop here and make sure there is not a problem with this step
    before I post further information about this process.

    Thanks.

  2. [Samba] Re: interdomain trust between two samba pdc's

    So is no one here doing interdomain trusts using two Samba PDC's on two
    different subnets? I have been struggling with this problem for a long time
    now, and would like some help with it. Thanks!

    On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 2:54 PM, SoUnD WrEcK wrote:

    > I have been trying off and on for some time now to get an interdomain
    > trust relationship going between two samba pdc machines (DomainA=trusted &
    > DomainB=trusting). Both pdc's are running on Solaris boxes and NIS is
    > involved (I doubt there is a NIS complication just because I can use
    > accounts on DomainA on DomainB's samba, as long as I add them using
    > smbpasswd manually).
    >
    > The situation is this. DomainA hosts most user accounts for my two
    > networks. Therefore DomainA should be trusted and DomainB should be
    > trusting. The documentation is confusing and does not describe this exact
    > scenario (talks about samba with microsoft pdc's). I have tried every
    > combination I can think of, but things still aren't working as they should.
    >
    > I have added an account for DomainB on DomainA. I then type "smbpasswd -a
    > -i DomainB", still working on DomainA. This seems to go through okay.
    > However, when I type "net rpc trustdom list" on DomainA, I get the
    > following:
    >
    > Trusted domains list:
    > none
    >
    > Trusting domains list:
    > Unable to find a suitable server
    > domain controller is not responding
    > DomainB
    >
    > I expect what I see for trusted, but for trusting, should I really be
    > seeing those errors? What do they mean? Is the fact that DomainB is listed
    > mean that it worked and I should ignore the errors?
    >
    > I guess I'll stop here and make sure there is not a problem with this step
    > before I post further information about this process.
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: [Samba] Re: interdomain trust between two samba pdc's

    i think you have to create the trusts on both DOMAINS as they only work
    in one direction. the official samba how to and reference guide briefly
    touches on the subject.

    SoUnD WrEcK wrote:
    > So is no one here doing interdomain trusts using two Samba PDC's on two
    > different subnets? I have been struggling with this problem for a long time
    > now, and would like some help with it. Thanks!
    >

    > On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 2:54 PM, SoUnD WrEcK wrote:
    >

    >> I have been trying off and on for some time now to get an interdomain
    >> trust relationship going between two samba pdc machines (DomainA=trusted &
    >> DomainB=trusting). Both pdc's are running on Solaris boxes and NIS is
    >> involved (I doubt there is a NIS complication just because I can use
    >> accounts on DomainA on DomainB's samba, as long as I add them using
    >> smbpasswd manually).
    >>
    >> The situation is this. DomainA hosts most user accounts for my two
    >> networks. Therefore DomainA should be trusted and DomainB should be
    >> trusting. The documentation is confusing and does not describe this exact
    >> scenario (talks about samba with microsoft pdc's). I have tried every
    >> combination I can think of, but things still aren't working as they should.
    >>
    >> I have added an account for DomainB on DomainA. I then type "smbpasswd -a
    >> -i DomainB", still working on DomainA. This seems to go through okay.
    >> However, when I type "net rpc trustdom list" on DomainA, I get the
    >> following:
    >>
    >> Trusted domains list:
    >> none
    >>
    >> Trusting domains list:
    >> Unable to find a suitable server
    >> domain controller is not responding
    >> DomainB
    >>
    >> I expect what I see for trusted, but for trusting, should I really be
    >> seeing those errors? What do they mean? Is the fact that DomainB is listed
    >> mean that it worked and I should ignore the errors?
    >>
    >> I guess I'll stop here and make sure there is not a problem with this step
    >> before I post further information about this process.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

  4. Re: [Samba] Re: interdomain trust between two samba pdc's

    I have trusts setup between 3 samba domains. Do you have a specific
    question regarding setup?

    Hans