[Samba] Windows app can't clean up temp files - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Windows app can't clean up temp files - Samba ; A couple of my users use Solidworks which creates temp files that look like ~$drawing_name.sldrw in the directory that theyıre opened in. Iıve changed permissions till Iım blue in the face and can not get this program to clean up ...

  1. [Samba] Windows app can't clean up temp files

    A couple of my users use Solidworks which creates temp files that look like
    ~$drawing_name.sldrw in the directory that theyıre opened in.

    Iıve changed permissions till Iım blue in the face and can not get this
    program to clean up itıs temp files. Whenever a user goes back into a
    drawing they get permission denied on the temp files. This problem does not
    happen when the files are hosted on a genuine Windows server.

    What should I go look at?

    -brian

  2. Re: [Samba] Windows app can't clean up temp files

    On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:53:58AM -0700, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
    > A couple of my users use Solidworks which creates temp files that look like
    > ~$drawing_name.sldrw in the directory that theyıre opened in.
    >
    > Iıve changed permissions till Iım blue in the face and can not get this
    > program to clean up itıs temp files. Whenever a user goes back into a
    > drawing they get permission denied on the temp files. This problem does not
    > happen when the files are hosted on a genuine Windows server.
    >
    > What should I go look at?

    Can you get a comparatve wireshark trace of app vs. Samba and app
    vs. Windows server ?

    Jeremy.

  3. Re: [Samba] Windows app can't clean up temp files

    On 4/24/08 11:53 AM, "Jeremy Allison" wrote:

    > On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:53:58AM -0700, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
    >
    >> A couple of my users use Solidworks which creates temp files that look like

    >> ~$drawing_name.sldrw in the directory that theyıre opened in.

    >> Iıve changed permissions till Iım blue in the face and can notget this

    >> program to clean up itıs temp files. Whenever a user goes back into a

    >> drawing they get permission denied on the temp files. This problemdoes not

    >> happen when the files are hosted on a genuine Windows server.

    >> What should I go look at?

    > Can you get a comparatve wireshark trace of app vs. Samba and app
    >
    > vs. Windows server ?

    -----

    I can't really do a wireshark test right now, but I'll to configure one
    tomorrow or something. What I do know is that the Unix permissions onthe
    files that can't be deleted from/by Windows are -rw-rwxrw-+

    Did I miss something here??? I'd rather see them 777 than something like
    that??? What is the + at the end??? How can I just force Samba to makethe
    permissions 777?

    -brian

  4. Re: [Samba] Windows app can't clean up temp files

    On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 02:06:36PM -0700, Brian McGrew wrote:

    > On 4/24/08 11:53 AM, "Jeremy Allison" wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:53:58AM -0700, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
    > >
    > >> A couple of my users use Solidworks which creates temp files that look like

    > >> ~$drawing_name.sldrw in the directory that theyıre opened in.

    > >> Iıve changed permissions till Iım blue in the face and can not get this

    > >> program to clean up itıs temp files. Whenever a user goes back into a

    > >> drawing they get permission denied on the temp files. This problem does not

    > >> happen when the files are hosted on a genuine Windows server.

    > >> What should I go look at?

    > > Can you get a comparatve wireshark trace of app vs. Samba and app
    > >
    > > vs. Windows server ?

    > -----
    >
    > I can't really do a wireshark test right now, but I'll to configure one
    > tomorrow or something. What I do know is that the Unix permissions on the
    > files that can't be deleted from/by Windows are -rw-rwxrw-+
    >
    > Did I miss something here??? I'd rather see them 777 than something like
    > that??? What is the + at the end??? How can I just force Samba to make the
    > permissions 777?

    The + means a POSIX ACL has been set on the file. What version
    of Samba are you using ? We had a bug that was fixed in 3.0.28a
    w.r.t. inherited permissions that might explain this.

    Jeremy.