[Samba] Unable to access linux files from windows using samba configured in linux Vmware - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Unable to access linux files from windows using samba configured in linux Vmware - Samba ; Hi friends, i have a weird problem, i am running a Fedora Linux OS on Vmware installed from Windows XP i have configured samba inside VMware linux (BRIDGED NETWORKING), but when i tried to access the same from the windows ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: [Samba] Unable to access linux files from windows using samba configured in linux Vmware

  1. [Samba] Unable to access linux files from windows using samba configured in linux Vmware


    Hi friends,
    i have a weird problem, i am running a Fedora Linux OS on Vmware installed
    from Windows XP
    i have configured samba inside VMware linux (BRIDGED NETWORKING), but when i
    tried to access the same from the windows it is telling "cannot be
    accessible", i have tried almost all the ways...
    My Windows IP is say 192.168.248.29 and i have taken a free IP from system
    admin for my VMware linux running on windows say its IP is 192.168.248.195
    and from windows i am trying to access like this
    Go to Start menu -> run and type \\192.168.248.195, now it will show the
    list of the samba folders but when i double click on the folder it prompts
    for username and passwd and when i enter the samba username and passwd it
    will popup a message "Cannot be accessed u might now have permissions to
    access this" !!
    but i have given all the permissions to that folder chmod 777 /home/user -R
    and also while configuring samba i have given writable and browsable
    permissions , i am using samba version 3.0.21b-2, and i tried stopping
    iptables also but even that yielded same result
    Please help me to solve this problem thanks..
    --
    View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Unable-to-acce...p16847019.html
    Sent from the Samba - General mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

    --
    To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
    instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba

  2. Re: [Samba] Unable to access linux files from windows using samba configured in linux Vmware

    are you using smbpasswd, tdbsam, or ldapsam for authentication? in
    linux can you do mount -t cifs "//192.168.248.195/A_Valid_Share" /mnt -o
    username=user,password=passwd

    what sort of errors are you getting in /var/log/samba/log.smbd

    gforgcc wrote:
    > Hi friends,
    > i have a weird problem, i am running a Fedora Linux OS on Vmware installed
    > from Windows XP
    > i have configured samba inside VMware linux (BRIDGED NETWORKING), but when i
    > tried to access the same from the windows it is telling "cannot be
    > accessible", i have tried almost all the ways...
    > My Windows IP is say 192.168.248.29 and i have taken a free IP from system
    > admin for my VMware linux running on windows say its IP is 192.168.248.195
    > and from windows i am trying to access like this
    > Go to Start menu -> run and type \\192.168.248.195, now it will show the
    > list of the samba folders but when i double click on the folder it prompts
    > for username and passwd and when i enter the samba username and passwd it
    > will popup a message "Cannot be accessed u might now have permissions to
    > access this" !!
    > but i have given all the permissions to that folder chmod 777 /home/user -R
    > and also while configuring samba i have given writable and browsable
    > permissions , i am using samba version 3.0.21b-2, and i tried stopping
    > iptables also but even that yielded same result
    > Please help me to solve this problem thanks..
    >


    --
    To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
    instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba

  3. Re: [Samba] Unable to access linux files from windows using samba configured in linux Vmware




    Squeezer99 wrote:
    >
    > are you using smbpasswd, tdbsam, or ldapsam for authentication? in
    > linux can you do mount -t cifs "//192.168.248.195/A_Valid_Share" /mnt -o
    > username=user,password=passwd
    >
    > what sort of errors are you getting in /var/log/samba/log.smbd
    >
    >

    Thanks for the reply..
    ya i am using smbpasswd.. but when i tried to mount as you told it is giving
    something like this..


    [root@localhost]# mount -t cifs "//192.168.248.195//home/abc" /mnt -o
    username=abc, password=abc
    Usage: mount -V : print version
    mount -h : print this help
    mount : list mounted filesystems
    mount -l : idem, including volume labels
    So far the informational part. Next the mounting.
    The command is `mount [-t fstype] something somewhere'.
    Details found in /etc/fstab may be omitted.
    mount -a [-t|-O] ... : mount all stuff from /etc/fstab
    mount device : mount device at the known place
    mount directory : mount known device here
    mount -t type dev dir : ordinary mount command
    Note that one does not really mount a device, one mounts
    a filesystem (of the given type) found on the device.
    One can also mount an already visible directory tree elsewhere:
    mount --bind olddir newdir
    or move a subtree:
    mount --move olddir newdir
    A device can be given by name, say /dev/hda1 or /dev/cdrom,
    or by label, using -L label or by uuid, using -U uuid .
    Other options: [-nfFrsvw] [-o options] [-p passwdfd].
    For many more details, say man 8 mount .


    and in the file /var/log/samba/smbd.log... the output is like this...

    Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2006
    [2008/04/25 10:30:24, 0] smbd/server.c:main(805)
    smbd version 3.0.21b-2 started.
    Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2006

    so what might be the problem ???

    --
    View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Unable-to-acce...p16890700.html
    Sent from the Samba - General mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

    --
    To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
    instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba

  4. Re: [Samba] Unable to access linux files from windows using samba configured in linux Vmware

    take out the space between the , and password=abc and the extra / on
    //home/abc

    gforgcc wrote:
    >
    > Squeezer99 wrote:
    >
    >> are you using smbpasswd, tdbsam, or ldapsam for authentication? in
    >> linux can you do mount -t cifs "//192.168.248.195/A_Valid_Share" /mnt -o
    >> username=user,password=passwd
    >>
    >> what sort of errors are you getting in /var/log/samba/log.smbd
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > Thanks for the reply..
    > ya i am using smbpasswd.. but when i tried to mount as you told it is giving
    > something like this..
    >
    >
    > [root@localhost]# mount -t cifs "//192.168.248.195//home/abc" /mnt -o
    > username=abc, password=abc
    > Usage: mount -V : print version
    > mount -h : print this help
    > mount : list mounted filesystems
    > mount -l : idem, including volume labels
    > So far the informational part. Next the mounting.
    > The command is `mount [-t fstype] something somewhere'.
    > Details found in /etc/fstab may be omitted.
    > mount -a [-t|-O] ... : mount all stuff from /etc/fstab
    > mount device : mount device at the known place
    > mount directory : mount known device here
    > mount -t type dev dir : ordinary mount command
    > Note that one does not really mount a device, one mounts
    > a filesystem (of the given type) found on the device.
    > One can also mount an already visible directory tree elsewhere:
    > mount --bind olddir newdir
    > or move a subtree:
    > mount --move olddir newdir
    > A device can be given by name, say /dev/hda1 or /dev/cdrom,
    > or by label, using -L label or by uuid, using -U uuid .
    > Other options: [-nfFrsvw] [-o options] [-p passwdfd].
    > For many more details, say man 8 mount .
    >
    >
    > and in the file /var/log/samba/smbd.log... the output is like this...
    >
    > Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2006
    > [2008/04/25 10:30:24, 0] smbd/server.c:main(805)
    > smbd version 3.0.21b-2 started.
    > Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2006
    >
    > so what might be the problem ???
    >
    >

    --
    To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
    instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba

  5. Re: [Samba] Unable to access linux files from windows using samba configured in linux Vmware




    Squeezer99 wrote:
    >
    > take out the space between the , and password=abc and the extra / on
    > //home/abc
    >
    >


    when i tried mount -t cifs "//192.168.248.195/home/abc" /mnt -o
    username=abc,password=abc
    it is giving the following error
    mount error 5 = Input/Output error
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g man mount.cifs )
    --
    View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Unable-to-acce...p16952913.html
    Sent from the Samba - General mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

    --
    To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
    instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba

  6. Re: [Samba] Unable to access linux files from windows using samba configured in linux Vmware

    Hallo, gforgcc,

    Du (narendra.ka) meintest am 28.04.08:

    >> take out the space between the , and password=abc and the extra / on
    >> //home/abc


    > when i tried mount -t cifs "//192.168.248.195/home/abc" /mnt -o
    > username=abc,password=abc
    > it is giving the following error
    > mount error 5 = Input/Output error
    > Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g man mount.cifs )


    Does the workgroup fit?
    Has the username or the password any special character?

    Viele Gruesse!
    Helmut
    --
    To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
    instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba

  7. Re: [Samba] Unable to access linux files from windows using samba configured in linux Vmware



    Helmut Hullen wrote:
    >
    > Hallo, gforgcc,
    >
    > Does the workgroup fit?
    > Has the username or the password any special character?
    >
    > Viele Gruesse!
    > Helmut
    >
    >

    Hi Viele Gruesse,
    no there are no special charecters in username or password.. just abc and
    abc thats it...
    and i dint get what is the meaning of Workgroup fit ? you mean to say both
    the workgroup in windows and Vmware linux need to be same ?
    if that is the case i am not specifying workgroup anywhere while configuring
    samba..and can you please tell where to specify workgroup, and how to find
    the same in windows that to which workgroup do i belong ?
    thanks...
    --
    View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Unable-to-acce...p16955729.html
    Sent from the Samba - General mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

    --
    To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
    instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba

  8. Re: [Samba] Unable to access linux files from windows using samba configured in linux Vmware




    gforgcc wrote:
    >
    >
    > Helmut Hullen wrote:
    >>
    >> Hallo, gforgcc,
    >>
    >> Does the workgroup fit?
    >> Has the username or the password any special character?
    >>
    >> Viele Gruesse!
    >> Helmut
    >>
    >>

    > Hi Viele Gruesse,
    > no there are no special charecters in username or password.. just abc and
    > abc thats it...
    > and i dint get what is the meaning of Workgroup fit ? you mean to say both
    > the workgroup in windows and Vmware linux need to be same ?
    > if that is the case i am not specifying workgroup anywhere while
    > configuring samba..and can you please tell where to specify workgroup, and
    > how to find the same in windows that to which workgroup do i belong ?
    > thanks...
    >

    sorry i came to know that i am in my companies domain so there wont be any
    workgroup probably...
    --
    View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Unable-to-acce...p16955744.html
    Sent from the Samba - General mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

    --
    To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
    instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba

  9. Re: [Samba] Unable to access linux files from windows using samba configured in linux Vmware




    Napster wrote:
    >
    > Hi
    >
    > I had thw same issue with my network....check if the DNS translation for
    > the Ip address of the system thats running Samba server.Or there is a work
    > around to get this working...
    > Check if u\you are able to access the files by going to the run option and
    > then entering the ip address
    > start->Run->\\192.168.0.143
    >
    > Go to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ there you would find a file by the
    > name hosts add the ip address and also the host name for the server there.
    > The file would look like this
    >
    > # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    > #
    > # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    > #
    > # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    > # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    > # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    > # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    > # space.
    > #
    > # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    > # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    > #
    > # For example:
    > #
    > # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    > # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
    >
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost
    > 192.168.0.143 napster-server1
    >
    >
    > Where 192.168.0.143 is the ip address of the system thats running Samba
    > and napter-Server1 the hostname.
    >
    > If you are running DNS server then check the configuration file of the
    > server.
    >
    >
    > Napster:working:
    >
    >


    Thanks for the reply Napster,
    but i dint get exactly what you are telling..
    say in my case i am running Vmware linux running Samba of which the IP
    address is 192.168.248.195 and hostname is just localhost.localdomain.. so i
    added an entry to the file you have said above in windows hosts file.. but
    still it is not working. it is telling the same problem..
    and can you please tell me where to check the configuratyion file of the DNS
    Server ?
    --
    View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Unable-to-acce...p17356339.html
    Sent from the Samba - General mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

    --
    To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
    instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba

+ Reply to Thread