[Samba] samba+cups+ad - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] samba+cups+ad - Samba ; Hello List, I am using samba and cups as a print server and have added it into my 2003 AD. What I am would like is to not install any drivers locally on the client but have samba automagically send ...

  1. [Samba] samba+cups+ad

    Hello List,

    I am using samba and cups as a print server and have added it into my
    2003 AD. What I am would like is to not install any drivers locally on
    the client but have samba automagically send the correct PPD to the
    client. I can add my samba server by using the 'net ads join -U
    Administrator' command and it works as do the commands 'wbinfo' and
    'getent passwd'. I can see the samba server in the 'Active Directory
    Users and Computers' and the printer and when I right click and say
    connect it does. When I pull up the properties page for the printer
    and hit the 'Print Test Page' I get a dialog box saying "Test page
    failed to print. Access Denied". I am logged into the DC with the same
    user as I have on the samba box but I still get the access denied, I
    even created a smbuser with same name but different password and still
    denied.

    I used the cupsaddsmb for my printer to place the files in the correct
    directory. This would constantly fail when I left the "security = ADS"
    line in my smb.conf file. So I had to change it to user and it ran
    fine, I then changed the "security = user" back to "security = ADS".

    Thanks for any help,

    Jon

    Here is my smb.conf:

    # Global parameters
    [global]
    workgroup = SYSTEMS
    realm = SYSTEMS.ALASKA.COM
    load printers = yes
    preferred master = no
    server string = Samba print server
    security = ADS
    encrypt passwords = yes
    log level = 3
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m
    max log size = 50
    winbind enum users = Yes
    winbind enum groups = Yes
    winbind use default domain = Yes
    winbind nested groups = Yes
    winbind separator = +
    printing = cups
    printcap = cups
    idmap uid = 10000-20000
    idmap gid = 10000-20000

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/cups
    browseable = no
    public = yes
    printable = yes
    guest ok = yes

    [print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /etc/samba/drivers
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = no
    read only = no
    write list = root

  2. Re: [Samba] samba+cups+ad

    what's your permissions on your spool directory: /var/spool/cups

    jonr@destar.net wrote:
    > Hello List,
    >
    > I am using samba and cups as a print server and have added it into my
    > 2003 AD. What I am would like is to not install any drivers locally on
    > the client but have samba automagically send the correct PPD to the
    > client. I can add my samba server by using the 'net ads join -U
    > Administrator' command and it works as do the commands 'wbinfo' and
    > 'getent passwd'. I can see the samba server in the 'Active Directory
    > Users and Computers' and the printer and when I right click and say
    > connect it does. When I pull up the properties page for the printer
    > and hit the 'Print Test Page' I get a dialog box saying "Test page
    > failed to print. Access Denied". I am logged into the DC with the same
    > user as I have on the samba box but I still get the access denied, I
    > even created a smbuser with same name but different password and still
    > denied.
    >
    > I used the cupsaddsmb for my printer to place the files in the correct
    > directory. This would constantly fail when I left the "security = ADS"
    > line in my smb.conf file. So I had to change it to user and it ran
    > fine, I then changed the "security = user" back to "security = ADS".
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    >
    > Jon
    >
    > Here is my smb.conf:
    >
    > # Global parameters
    > [global]
    > workgroup = SYSTEMS
    > realm = SYSTEMS.ALASKA.COM
    > load printers = yes
    > preferred master = no
    > server string = Samba print server
    > security = ADS
    > encrypt passwords = yes
    > log level = 3
    > log file = /var/log/samba/%m
    > max log size = 50
    > winbind enum users = Yes
    > winbind enum groups = Yes
    > winbind use default domain = Yes
    > winbind nested groups = Yes
    > winbind separator = +
    > printing = cups
    > printcap = cups
    > idmap uid = 10000-20000
    > idmap gid = 10000-20000
    >
    > [printers]
    > comment = All Printers
    > path = /var/spool/cups
    > browseable = no
    > public = yes
    > printable = yes
    > guest ok = yes
    >
    > [print$]
    > comment = Printer Drivers
    > path = /etc/samba/drivers
    > browseable = yes
    > guest ok = no
    > read only = no
    > write list = root
    >

    > --To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the

  3. Re: [Samba] samba+cups+ad

    Quoting Ryan Suarez :

    > what's your permissions on your spool directory: /var/spool/cups

    Hello Ryan,

    Here is what the permissions are

    root:lp

    drwx--x--- 3 root lp 133 Apr 22 16:43 cups

    and inside the cups directory for the tmp directory:

    drwxrwx--T 2 root lp 6 Apr 22 10:36 tmp

    Thanks for the help,

    Jon

    > jonr@destar.net wrote:
    >> Hello List,
    >>
    >> I am using samba and cups as a print server and have added it into
    >> my 2003 AD. What I am would like is to not install any drivers
    >> locally on the client but have samba automagically send the correct
    >> PPD to the client. I can add my samba server by using the 'net ads
    >> join -U Administrator' command and it works as do the commands
    >> 'wbinfo' and 'getent passwd'. I can see the samba server in the
    >> 'Active Directory Users and Computers' and the printer and when I
    >> right click and say connect it does. When I pull up the properties
    >> page for the printer and hit the 'Print Test Page' I get a dialog
    >> box saying "Test page failed to print. Access Denied". I am logged
    >> into the DC with the same user as I have on the samba box but I
    >> still get the access denied, I even created a smbuser with same
    >> name but different password and still denied.
    >>
    >> I used the cupsaddsmb for my printer to place the files in the
    >> correct directory. This would constantly fail when I left the
    >> "security = ADS" line in my smb.conf file. So I had to change it to
    >> user and it ran fine, I then changed the "security = user" back to
    >> "security = ADS".
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help,
    >>
    >> Jon
    >>
    >> Here is my smb.conf:
    >>
    >> # Global parameters
    >> [global]
    >> workgroup = SYSTEMS
    >> realm = SYSTEMS.ALASKA.COM
    >> load printers = yes
    >> preferred master = no
    >> server string = Samba print server
    >> security = ADS
    >> encrypt passwords = yes
    >> log level = 3
    >> log file = /var/log/samba/%m
    >> max log size = 50
    >> winbind enum users = Yes
    >> winbind enum groups = Yes
    >> winbind use default domain = Yes
    >> winbind nested groups = Yes
    >> winbind separator = +
    >> printing = cups
    >> printcap = cups
    >> idmap uid = 10000-20000
    >> idmap gid = 10000-20000
    >>
    >> [printers]
    >> comment = All Printers
    >> path = /var/spool/cups
    >> browseable = no
    >> public = yes
    >> printable = yes
    >> guest ok = yes
    >>
    >> [print$]
    >> comment = Printer Drivers
    >> path = /etc/samba/drivers
    >> browseable = yes
    >> guest ok = no
    >> read only = no
    >> write list = root
    >>

    >> --To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
    >> instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba

  4. Re: [Samba] samba+cups+ad

    Also, I'm not sure why you're using the cups spool directory for samba?
    You should setup a separate path for samba spooling...

    Ryan Suarez wrote:
    > Ok, you're getting access denied cuz your users can't write to the
    > spool directory, try a 'chmod 1777 /var/spool/cups' and see if that
    > fixes it.
    >
    > jonr@destar.net wrote:
    >> Quoting Ryan Suarez :
    >>
    >>> what's your permissions on your spool directory: /var/spool/cups
    >>>

    >> Hello Ryan,
    >>
    >> Here is what the permissions are
    >>
    >> root:lp
    >>
    >> drwx--x--- 3 root lp 133 Apr 22 16:43 cups
    >>
    >> and inside the cups directory for the tmp directory:
    >>
    >> drwxrwx--T 2 root lp 6 Apr 22 10:36 tmp
    >>
    >> Thanks for the help,
    >>
    >> Jon

    >> --To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
    >> instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba

  5. Re: [Samba] samba+cups+ad

    jonr@destar.net wrote:
    > Quoting Ryan Suarez :
    >
    >> what's your permissions on your spool directory: /var/spool/cups
    >>

    > Hello Ryan,
    >
    > Here is what the permissions are
    >
    > root:lp
    >
    > drwx--x--- 3 root lp 133 Apr 22 16:43 cups
    >
    > and inside the cups directory for the tmp directory:
    >
    > drwxrwx--T 2 root lp 6 Apr 22 10:36 tmp
    >
    > Thanks for the help,
    >
    > Jon
    >
    >> jonr@destar.net wrote:
    >>> Hello List,
    >>>
    >>> I am using samba and cups as a print server and have added it into
    >>> my 2003 AD. What I am would like is to not install any drivers
    >>> locally on the client but have samba automagically send the correct
    >>> PPD to the client. I can add my samba server by using the 'net ads
    >>> join -U Administrator' command and it works as do the commands
    >>> 'wbinfo' and 'getent passwd'. I can see the samba server in the
    >>> 'Active Directory Users and Computers' and the printer and when I
    >>> right click and say connect it does. When I pull up the properties
    >>> page for the printer and hit the 'Print Test Page' I get a dialog
    >>> box saying "Test page failed to print. Access Denied". I am logged
    >>> into the DC with the same user as I have on the samba box but I
    >>> still get the access denied, I even created a smbuser with same
    >>> name but different password and still denied.
    >>>
    >>> I used the cupsaddsmb for my printer to place the files in the
    >>> correct directory. This would constantly fail when I left the
    >>> "security = ADS" line in my smb.conf file. So I had to change it to
    >>> user and it ran fine, I then changed the "security = user" back to
    >>> "security = ADS".
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help,
    >>>
    >>> Jon
    >>>
    >>> Here is my smb.conf:
    >>>
    >>> # Global parameters
    >>> [global]
    >>> workgroup = SYSTEMS
    >>> realm = SYSTEMS.ALASKA.COM
    >>> load printers = yes
    >>> preferred master = no
    >>> server string = Samba print server
    >>> security = ADS
    >>> encrypt passwords = yes
    >>> log level = 3
    >>> log file = /var/log/samba/%m
    >>> max log size = 50
    >>> winbind enum users = Yes
    >>> winbind enum groups = Yes
    >>> winbind use default domain = Yes
    >>> winbind nested groups = Yes
    >>> winbind separator = +
    >>> printing = cups
    >>> printcap = cups
    >>> idmap uid = 10000-20000
    >>> idmap gid = 10000-20000
    >>>
    >>> [printers]
    >>> comment = All Printers
    >>> path = /var/spool/cups
    >>> browseable = no
    >>> public = yes
    >>> printable = yes
    >>> guest ok = yes
    >>>
    >>> [print$]
    >>> comment = Printer Drivers
    >>> path = /etc/samba/drivers
    >>> browseable = yes
    >>> guest ok = no
    >>> read only = no
    >>> write list = root
    >>>

    >>> --To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
    >>> instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba
    >>>

    > --To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the

  6. Re: [Samba] samba+cups+ad

    Quoting Ryan Suarez :

    > Ok, you're getting access denied cuz your users can't write to the
    > spool directory, try a 'chmod 1777 /var/spool/cups' and see if that
    > fixes it.
    > Also, I'm not sure why you're using the cups spool directory for samba?
    > You should setup a separate path for samba spooling...

    This was the issue. I had configured '/var/spool/cups' as my spool
    directory in my 'smb.conf' file. It should have read
    '/var/spool/samba' instead, it is even documented that it is a classic
    mistake.

    Thanks Ryan!

    Jon