[Samba] Samba PDC, joining XP workstation 'network path was not found' - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Samba PDC, joining XP workstation 'network path was not found' - Samba ; I have followed the samba-wiki article on 'Replicated Failover Domain Controller and file server using LDAP' http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Repl...ver_using_LDAP I am using FreeBSD instead of RHEL. I was able to get through the tutorial and get the database populated, and users created. ...

  1. [Samba] Samba PDC, joining XP workstation 'network path was not found'

    I have followed the samba-wiki article on 'Replicated Failover Domain Controller and file server using LDAP'

    http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Repl...ver_using_LDAP

    I am using FreeBSD instead of RHEL. I was able to get through the tutorial and get the database populated, and users created.

    I created the workstation account with the smbldap-useradd -w {machinename}.

    When going to the XP machine to add it to the domain, I put in the 'DDESIGN' domain, and it puts up the authentication dialog. No matter what I put in that box, I get 'The network path was not found'. If I put in the domain as something 'wrong' it of course doesn't put up an authentication dialog. So I know the domain is alive and on the network.

    I recall, when setting up a PDC with ubuntu server I ran into this 'network path was not found' error, but I can't remember what I did to resolve it.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: [Samba] Samba PDC, joining XP workstation 'network path was not found'

    > I recall, when setting up a PDC with ubuntu server I ran into this 'network path was not found' error, but I can't remember what I did to resolve it.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Fix your browsing problem. Either setup a dns server with the SRV
    records for the PDC (see the active directory part in the manual). Or
    use wins and add the wins server to the windows machine.

    John

  3. Re: [Samba] Samba PDC, joining XP workstation 'network path was not found'

    > > I recall, when setting up a PDC with ubuntu server I

    > ran into this 'network path was not found' error,
    > but I can't remember what I did to resolve it.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >

    > Fix your browsing problem. Either setup a dns server with
    > the SRV
    > records for the PDC (see the active directory part in the
    > manual). Or
    > use wins and add the wins server to the windows machine.
    >
    > John
    > --

    Thanks for the reply John.

    Based on the guide, I added the following SRV records to my BIND server:

    _ldap._tcp.differentialdesign.org. IN SRV 0 0 389 node1.differentialdesign.org.
    _kerberos._tcp.differentialdesign.org. SRV 0 0 88 node1.differentialdesign.org.
    _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.differentialdesign.org. SRV 0 0 389 node1.differentialdesign.org.
    _kerberos._tcp.dc._msdcs.differentialdesign.org. SRV 0 0 88 node1.differentialdesign.org.
    _ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.differentialdesign.org. SRV 0 0 389 node1.differentialdesign.org.

    But I am getting the same thing. I did the 'dig' as stated in the guide to ensure I had the presence of correct DNS entries. Do you see something that I am missing? Below is the output of my dig:

    %dig @ns1 -t any _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.differentialdesign.org
    ; <<>> DiG 9.3.3 <<>> @ns1 -t any _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.differentialdesign.org
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 2

    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.differentialdesign.org. IN ANY

    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.differentialdesign.org. 38400 IN SRV 0 0 389 node1.differen tialdesign.org.

    ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    differentialdesign.org. 38400 IN NS ns1.differentialdesign.org.

    ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    node1.differentialdesign.org. 38400 IN A 10.0.10.9
    ns1.differentialdesign.org. 38400 IN A 10.0.10.252

    ;; Query time: 1 msec
    ;; SERVER: 10.0.10.252#53(10.0.10.252)
    ;; WHEN: Thu Apr 24 09:14:43 2008
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 172

  4. RE: [Samba] Samba PDC,joining XP workstation 'network path was not found'

    just 1 guess.. what is the hostname of the PDC?

    i bet it's not PDC.