Hello samba mailing list,

I'm using samba 3.0.24 on a home server running Debian etch. The server
handles authentication and provides samba file shares for a small home
network of Linux machines. I recently changed basic login
authentication from NIS to kerberos/ldap for the clients. I then decided
to switch samba over on the server to use the new ldap authentication
backend.

The [global] section of smb.conf looks like this:
============
[global]
workgroup = PHILLIPS.ORG
dns proxy = No
username map = /etc/samba/user.map
# The whole objective of using ldap was to set this true;
# but it seems to cause samba to choke. Is ldap ssl
# required if this is set true? Doesn't seem likely.
# http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb/ldap....html#smb.conf
# shows an example with encrypted passwords and without tls
#
encrypt passwords = false
#
server string = %h server (Samba %v)
wins support = Yes
master = Yes
browseable = Yes
passdb backend = ldapsam
obey pam restrictions = yes
ldap suffix = dc=localnet
ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=localnet

Note that passwords are not encrypted.
This is because samba authentication always fails for all clients when
I set "encrypt passwords" to "true". It works fine without encryption.
As the comments in the file indicate, I wondered whether ldap ssl is
required to support encrypted passwords, but that doesn't seem to be the
case. So I don't know why I can't successfully enable encrypted passwords.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

James R. Phillips