[Samba] OT: Vista & NTConfig.POL - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] OT: Vista & NTConfig.POL - Samba ; This isn't technically a samba question, but I figure there will be other samba users out there in the same boat. I have just setup the first Vista box on our samba domain and I am having some trouble with ...

  1. [Samba] OT: Vista & NTConfig.POL

    This isn't technically a samba question, but I figure there will be
    other samba users out there in the same boat.

    I have just setup the first Vista box on our samba domain and I am
    having some trouble with policies (they don't get applied).

    I have had a look around and there is alot of talk about the adm->admx
    change, etc but I haven't seen anyone say that anything needs to change
    in NTConfig.POL. Infact, there has been relatively little mention of
    NTConfig at all. Does Vista still support NT4 style policies?

    If not, what have others done to work around this? I guess I could push
    out .reg files through login scripts but I believe that might trigger
    UAC, any other suggestions?

    --
    *Michael Heydon - IT Administratorr *
    michaelh@jaswin.com.au

  2. Re: [Samba] OT: Vista & NTConfig.POL

    We've got the same problem here. NT4 policies are not working with vista.

    now we need to find a way to use policies that work with vista (and xp
    and w2k)
    since the GPMC needs a w2k3 style domain controller to store the
    Register.pol file (yep ntconfig.pol became register.pol)
    samba will not do that. (as pdc) dunno if you can fool windows by making
    a SYSVOL share
    with the apr. subdirs and store the policies there ?!

    in the mean while, you can either push the policies by making register
    files and let vista (xp) import them
    with the login script (as you mentioned your self!)
    but that is still a dirty way to do it.

    second, you could use the Nitrobit group policy package, but that one is
    not free !!!
    so still, we need a way to deploy new style policies (adm & admx) with
    samba as the backend.

    any tips or suggestions on how and what would be welcome.. (sysvol
    howto or replacement software)

    Thx, Collen