[Samba] Samba server, works fine for several days, then load increases indefinately till server unavailable - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Samba server, works fine for several days, then load increases indefinately till server unavailable - Samba ; Our Samba server running on CentOS 5.1 (upgraded from 5.0) with Samba 3.0.25b-1.el5_1.4 has been in place for about a year and a half. We had no issues till about 2 months ago. This may have coincided with the upgrade ...

  1. [Samba] Samba server, works fine for several days, then load increases indefinately till server unavailable

    Our Samba server running on CentOS 5.1 (upgraded from 5.0) with Samba
    3.0.25b-1.el5_1.4 has been in place for about a year and a half. We had
    no issues till about 2 months ago. This may have coincided with the
    upgrade of CentOS 5.0 to 5.1 (which would have brought a new Samba
    version with it).

    Anyway, the server will be fine and snappy for a week or so, then out of
    the blue, nobody can connect. Top shows a few smbd processes maxing out
    the cpu and the load (which is usually < 1.0) gradually climbs up to 10,
    20, and onward. If I stop smb and winbind with the init scripts, then
    the load goes through the roof. I've waited to see if it will clear
    itself up, but the load skyrockets up over 1000 so I kill all the smb
    processes with "sudo kill -9 `pgrep smbd`" and then the load stops
    climbing and after about 5 or 10 minutes will be back down to under 1.0.
    At that point I can restart smb and winbind and everything is ok again.

    I don't see anything unusual with the logs. Can anyone help?

    James

  2. Re: [Samba] Samba server, works fine for several days, then load increases indefinately till server unavailable

    On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 09:13:28AM -0500, James A. Dinkel wrote:
    > Anyway, the server will be fine and snappy for a week or so, then out of
    > the blue, nobody can connect. Top shows a few smbd processes maxing out
    > the cpu and the load (which is usually < 1.0) gradually climbs up to 10,

    I've seen this only when something like connections.tdb
    became corrupt. With CentOS this is not likely, but reiserfs
    did that to me fairly often. What filesystem are your tdbs
    residing on? Maybe some other kernel-level problem like a
    problematic driver in the path to the hard disk?

    Volker

  3. Re: [Samba] Samba server, works fine for several days, then load increases indefinately till server unavailable

    Volker Lendecke wrote:
    > On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 09:13:28AM -0500, James A. Dinkel wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway, the server will be fine and snappy for a week or so, then out of
    >> the blue, nobody can connect. Top shows a few smbd processes maxing out
    >> the cpu and the load (which is usually < 1.0) gradually climbs up to 10,
    >>

    > I've seen this only when something like connections.tdb
    > became corrupt. With CentOS this is not likely, but reiserfs
    > did that to me fairly often. What filesystem are your tdbs
    > residing on? Maybe some other kernel-level problem like a
    > problematic driver in the path to the hard disk?
    >
    > Volker

    I have seen this once on a CentOS-4.5-x86_64 box; IIRC, there was an
    issue with the Intel e1000 kernel module that caused a high number of
    connection resets,
    but the RSTs never made it back, so the connections would just time out
    while the client started a new connection. Then again, this box was
    using reiserfs to hold the tdbs, and it might have just been a fsck on
    reboot that fixed it when I rebooted after applying the kernel module
    update... anyways, what I was seeing was a consistently high number
    (several hundred) of queued packets for the sendQ across a dozen or so
    connections, and groups of reset connections all happening at the same
    time. The load went up slowly for about a day, and then rocketed to
    well over 100 when a client was reset with a stuck locked file.

    FWIW, this was a SMP Xeon box w/ integrated Intel E1000s and the
    (mostly) stock 2.6.9-12(?) RHEL kernel. I had found that Intel did have
    a patch for an issue very similar to what I was seeing, and after
    applying it, everything was happy again.