[Samba] Windows shortcuts and permissions - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Windows shortcuts and permissions - Samba ; I have lots of LNK files in a Samba share, which users have been creating for some time. Now we have set different permissions to folders and some of the shortcuts don't work because of that. I have read that ...

  1. [Samba] Windows shortcuts and permissions

    I have lots of LNK files in a Samba share, which users have been creating for some time. Now we have set different permissions to folders and some of the shortcuts don't work because of that.
    I have read that mount --bind can be used to give access to a forbidden folder to someone, but this can only be done by root and in the command-line.
    Is there a way to accomplish this with a graphical tool or something like that?

  2. Re: [Samba] Windows shortcuts and permissions

    Toni Casueps wrote:
    > I have lots of LNK files in a Samba share, which users have been creating for some time. Now we have set different permissions to folders and some of the shortcuts don't work because of that.
    > I have read that mount --bind can be used to give access to a forbidden folder to someone, but this can only be done by root and in the command-line.
    > Is there a way to accomplish this with a graphical tool or something like that?

    mount --bind can be used to mount a directory to another location. I
    guess it might be possible to use it to work around your security
    problems, but it is rather hackish.

    If someone needs access to a directory, but can't get it because they
    don't have access to the parent then either they should have access to
    the parent, or the subdirectory is in the wrong place.

    In the long run you would be far better of reorganising things so that
    each directory is in the right place and people have the correct
    permissions rather than creating binds all over the place to work around
    a poor file system layout.

    -- Michael Heydon