[Samba] [3.0.28,1/smb.conf] Can't hide dot files - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] [3.0.28,1/smb.conf] Can't hide dot files - Samba ; Hello I set up Samba 3.0.28,1 on a FreeBSD 6.3 host. I'd like users _not_ to see the hidden dot files in directories, but "hide dot files" doesn't work, no matter whether I put it in [global] or [homes]: ====== ...

  1. [Samba] [3.0.28,1/smb.conf] Can't hide dot files

    Hello

    I set up Samba 3.0.28,1 on a FreeBSD 6.3 host. I'd like users _not_ to see
    the hidden dot files in directories, but "hide dot files" doesn't work, no
    matter whether I put it in [global] or [homes]:

    ======
    [global]
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    netbios name = Samba
    hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    socket options = SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    hide dot files = yes

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S
    read only = No
    browseable = No
    hide dot files = yes
    ======

    Any idea why?

    Thank you.

    PS : I already posted this message through Gmane's
    gmane.network.samba.general, but it didn't make it. Is
    gmane.network.samba.general != samba@lists.samba.org?

  2. Re: [Samba] [3.0.28,1/smb.conf] Can't hide dot files

    hi Gilles,

    once upon a time I had a similar problem

    > I set up Samba 3.0.28,1 on a FreeBSD 6.3 host. I'd like users _not_ to see
    > the hidden dot files in directories, but "hide dot files" doesn't work, no
    > matter whether I put it in [global] or [homes]:

    AFAIK Samba transfers dot files with a "hidden" attribute. If your users
    can see these "hidden" files or not depends, depends on the setup of the
    Windows client.
    If something like "show hidden files and directories" is enabled on the
    client's file browser, the client will display the hidden files ...

    I can't find the link to the documentation, but you can test this within
    a minute.

    kind regards,
    Reinhard Sojka

    --
    Reinhard Sojka

    Parlamentsdirektion
    A1.5 - EDV / System- & Networkadmin

    A-1017 Wien - Parlament
    Tel. +43 1 40110 2824
    Fax +43 1 40110 2848
    http://www.parlament.gv.at

  3. [Samba] Re: [3.0.28,1/smb.conf] Can't hide dot files

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:06:49 +0200, Sojka Reinhard
    wrote:
    >AFAIK Samba transfers dot files with a "hidden" attribute. If your users
    >can see these "hidden" files or not depends, depends on the setup of the
    >Windows client.

    Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought of this. I'll just use this to
    have Samba not list hidden Unix files:

    veto files = /.??*/