[Samba] Vista problem, with ADS samba - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Vista problem, with ADS samba - Samba ; I am running samba 3.0.28 on linux servers using ADS security, without any problem. However when I added a vista workstation to the mix, it simply cannot connect to my printers. I can connect to my data/ or disk shares ...

  1. [Samba] Vista problem, with ADS samba

    I am running samba 3.0.28 on linux servers using ADS security, without
    any problem.

    However when I added a vista workstation to the mix, it simply cannot
    connect to my printers. I can connect to my data/ or disk shares again
    without any problem from both 64bit vista, and 32 bit vista.

    When I try to access my printers though I get "Windows cannot connect
    to the printer, Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000000d)

    I have looked at everything, tried numerous drivers, settings, and so
    on, but this error is not documented anywhere for this condition. Any
    ideas?

    Thanks

    boutapr@chevron.com

  2. Re: [Samba] Vista problem, with ADS samba

    Hello,

    does the problem also occur, when you add a new printer and assign a
    driver to it? When you try to connect to the printer - do it as "normal"
    user, so the printer is not automaticly published in the AD.

    If yes, please try to set "default devmode = No" in the smb.conf and
    see, what happens.

    I simply can't reproduce it, though you're the second one who reports
    it. So - if possible - could you provide a network trace from the
    connection attempt, the ntprinters.tdb, ntdrivers.tdb and a list of the
    installed drivers? Let's see, what's so special in your installation ;-)

    Greets,

    Martin

    Boutan, Paul R. schrieb:
    > I am running samba 3.0.28 on linux servers using ADS security, without
    > any problem.
    >

    > However when I added a vista workstation to the mix, it simply cannot
    > connect to my printers. I can connect to my data/ or disk shares again
    > without any problem from both 64bit vista, and 32 bit vista.
    >

    > When I try to access my printers though I get "Windows cannot connect
    > to the printer, Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000000d)
    >

    > I have looked at everything, tried numerous drivers, settings, and so
    > on, but this error is not documented anywhere for this condition. Any
    > ideas?
    >

    > Thanks
    >

    > boutapr@chevron.com

  3. Re: [Samba] Vista problem, with ADS samba

    Hi Paul,

    what exactly appears to work?
    Disable the "default devmode", or the publish in the ADS?

    Previously we had an issue with registry entries. And there are some
    alignment issues.

    0x0d error means "The data is invalid", so I suspect either a device
    mode alignment problem or even the devicemode data. But I may be wrong.
    It might also rely to, wether the printer is published in ADS or not.

    So, if it works at the moment and the issue occurs again later, it would
    be helpful, if you could tell, what exactly you have done (whoo, hope
    you understand my english).

    Bye,

    Martin

    Boutan, Paul R. schrieb:
    > Martin,
    >
    > That appears to have worked !!!! yahoooo.... I'll look it up and see
    > why... I will reserve total success for after I have tried every option,
    > deleted all the drivers, and tried it again...
    >
    > But on the up side, I've asked a few folks to try it and it has worked.
    > So THANK YOU !!!
    >
    > Paul Boutan

    [...]

  4. RE: [Samba] Vista problem, with ADS samba

    Hello,

    Just an update regarding Vista vs. Samba:

    It appears, that the problem is, that the driver on the Samba server
    does not contain any "dependent files".
    In this case, Samba returns an empty string in a DRIVER_INFO_3 response.
    This behaviour is different to XP - and different to what the msdn
    states (NULL or a list of *two* empty strings).
    XP returns a NULL pointer. Vista reacts on the malformed struct with a
    0x0000000d error (Invalid data) and stops the printer installation.

    I don't think, it's critical since the most (if not all) real-live
    drivers actually do have dependent files. The driver in this case have
    been installed via rpcclient and self-compiled.

    Attached is a text representation of a wireshark trace as proof.

    Bye,

    Martin

    Boutan, Paul R. schrieb:
    > I am running samba 3.0.28 on linux servers using ADS security, without
    > any problem.
    >

    > However when I added a vista workstation to the mix, it simply cannot
    > connect to my printers. I can connect to my data/ or disk shares

    again
    > without any problem from both 64bit vista, and 32 bit vista.
    >

    > When I try to access my printers though I get "Windows cannot connect
    > to the printer, Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000000d)
    >

    > I have looked at everything, tried numerous drivers, settings, and so
    > on, but this error is not documented anywhere for this condition. Any
    > ideas?
    >

    > Thanks
    >

    > boutapr@chevron.com

    =======================
    ======= Windows XP ====
    =======================

    No. Time Source Destination Protocol Info
    270 103.648897 192.168.3.189 192.168.3.186 SPOOLSS EnumPrinterDrivers response
    [...]
    Microsoft Spool Subsystem, EnumPrinterDrivers
    Operation: EnumPrinterDrivers (10)
    [Request in frame: 240]
    Buffer
    Referent ID: 0x000f4e0c
    Buffer size: 8952
    Buffer data: 03000000EA220000CC2200006E22000018220000BE210000.. .
    Driver info level 3
    Driver version: Windows 2000/XP (3)
    Driver name: cups32
    Architecture name: Windows NT x86
    Driver path: \\192.168.3.189\print$\W32X86\3\cups32drvr.dll
    Data file: \\192.168.3.189\print$\W32X86\3\cups32.ppd
    Config file: \\192.168.3.189\print$\W32X86\3\cups32ui.dll
    Help file: \\192.168.3.189\print$\W32X86\3\cups32.hlp
    Dependent files: NULL
    Offset: 0
    Monitor name:
    Default data type: RAW
    [...]
    Needed: 8952
    Returned: 5
    Return code: Success (0x00000000)

    =======================
    ======= Samba =========
    =======================

    No. Time Source Destination Protocol Info
    85 2.377568 192.168.3.181 192.168.3.186 SPOOLSS EnumPrinterDrivers response
    [...]
    Microsoft Spool Subsystem, EnumPrinterDrivers
    Operation: EnumPrinterDrivers (10)
    [Request in frame: 84]
    Buffer
    Referent ID: 0xf000baaa
    Buffer size: 400
    Buffer data: 03000000820100006401000014010000CC00000080000000.. .
    Driver info level 3
    Driver version: Windows 2000/XP (3)
    Driver name: cups32
    Architecture name: Windows NT x86
    Driver path: \\\\nina\print$\W32X86\3\cups32drvr.dll
    Data file: \\\\nina\print$\W32X86\3\cups32.ppd
    Config file: \\\\nina\print$\W32X86\3\cups32ui.dll
    Help file: \\\\nina\print$\W32X86\3\cups32.hlp
    Dependent files:
    Offset: 54
    String:
    Monitor name: