[Samba] File locks? - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] File locks? - Samba ; Hello, Recently, the following problem started happening with a particular samba server: If i have a file open for reading (say, a pdf in xpdf) and then try to write to it (say, through recompiling a latex document) it complains ...

  1. [Samba] File locks?

    Hello,

    Recently, the following problem started happening with a particular samba
    server:
    If i have a file open for reading (say, a pdf in xpdf) and then try to write
    to it (say, through recompiling a latex document) it complains that it
    cannot open the file for writing.

    this seems like a file lock issue but I am unsure where it is happening. My
    previous usage should be perfectly safe since xpdf should only open for
    reading.

    This problem does not happen locally or when I connect to a different samba
    server (a windows machine). I can also ssh into the remote server, port xpdf
    , and my local process can write to the file. It is the samba connection
    that is making the lock.

    I am running Debian Unstable, using smbclient/smbfs 3.0.28a-1 to connect
    to a samba server (unix backend) on my university network. Server:
    Samba3.0.10-1.4E

    I mount the smb share in my fstab as follows:

    //myserver/jyoung /mnt/uni smbfs
    credentials=credsfile,gid=jyoung,uid=jyoung,auto,r w

    I spoke with my system administrator and he said it may also be possible to
    get the server settings changed depending on what is required (and the
    implications).

    Thanks

    Jim

    --
    James Young, B.Sc.
    Ph.D. Student

  2. Re: [Samba] File locks?

    On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:12:54AM -0600, Jim Young wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Recently, the following problem started happening with a particular samba
    > server:
    > If i have a file open for reading (say, a pdf in xpdf) and then try to write
    > to it (say, through recompiling a latex document) it complains that it
    > cannot open the file for writing.
    >
    > this seems like a file lock issue but I am unsure where it is happening. My
    > previous usage should be perfectly safe since xpdf should only open for
    > reading.
    >
    > This problem does not happen locally or when I connect to a different samba
    > server (a windows machine). I can also ssh into the remote server, port xpdf
    > , and my local process can write to the file. It is the samba connection
    > that is making the lock.
    >
    > I am running Debian Unstable, using smbclient/smbfs 3.0.28a-1 to connect
    > to a samba server (unix backend) on my university network. Server:
    > Samba3.0.10-1.4E
    >
    > I mount the smb share in my fstab as follows:
    >
    > //myserver/jyoung /mnt/uni smbfs
    > credentials=credsfile,gid=jyoung,uid=jyoung,auto,r w

    smbfs is going out of support soon. You should be using cifsfs
    instead.

    Jeremy.

  3. Re: [Samba] File locks?

    Thanks for the info. I am using the smbfs debian package, but mount tells me
    that type is cifs

    //nsh/jyoung on /mnt/uni type cifs (rw,mand)

    I have updated my fstab:
    //nsh/jyoung /mnt/uni cifs
    credentials=/myfolder/credentials,gid=jyoung,uid=jyoung,auto,rw
    0 0

    and remounted, same problem.

    Thanks, Jim

    --
    James Young, B.Sc.
    Ph.D. Student
    Interactions laboratory, Department of Computer Science, University of
    Calgary
    2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T2N 1N4
    Phone: +1.403.210.9502
    E-mail: jim.young@ucalgary.ca

  4. Re: [Samba] File locks?

    Hallo, Jeremy,

    Du (jra) meintest am 10.04.08:

    > smbfs is going out of support soon. You should be using cifsfs
    > instead.

    Maybe cifs doesn't work with Windows9x Clients.

    Viele Gruesse!
    Helmut

  5. Re: [Samba] File locks?

    Am Donnerstag, 10. April 2008 schrieb Jim Young:

    Hi Jim,

    > Thanks for the info. I am using the smbfs debian package, but mount tellsme
    > that type is cifs
    >
    > //nsh/jyoung on /mnt/uni type cifs (rw,mand)
    >
    > I have updated my fstab:
    > //nsh/jyoung /mnt/uni cifs
    > credentials=/myfolder/credentials,gid=jyoung,uid=jyoung,auto,rw
    > 0 0
    >
    > and remounted, same problem.
    >
    > Thanks, Jim

    On your local system. what's the outcome of 'modinfo cifs' ?

    Btw - recent debian/ubuntu packages ship versions of the smb/cifs userland
    helpers smbmount and smbumount, which are no longer mounting smbfs when
    specified. Instead they mount cifs vfs "behind the scenes".
    Both are (usually) also called indirectly by the mount/umount programs.
    Technically spoken, 'mount -t smbfs ...' is (ususally) calling
    /sbin/mount.smbfs which formerly mounted smbfs - but now cifs vfs instead.
    Cheers, GŁnter

    > On 10/04/2008, Jeremy Allison wrote:
    > >
    > > On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:12:54AM -0600, Jim Young wrote:
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > Recently, the following problem started happening with a particular

    > > samba
    > > > server:
    > > > If i have a file open for reading (say, a pdf in xpdf) and then try to

    > > write
    > > > to it (say, through recompiling a latex document) it complains that it
    > > > cannot open the file for writing.
    > > >
    > > > this seems like a file lock issue but I am unsure where it is happening.

    > > My
    > > > previous usage should be perfectly safe since xpdf should only open for
    > > > reading.
    > > >
    > > > This problem does not happen locally or when I connect to a different

    > > samba
    > > > server (a windows machine). I can also ssh into the remote server, port

    > > xpdf
    > > > , and my local process can write to the file. It is the samba connection
    > > > that is making the lock.
    > > >
    > > > I am running Debian Unstable, using smbclient/smbfs 3.0.28a-1 to

    > > connect
    > > > to a samba server (unix backend) on my university network. Server:

    > > > Samba3.0.10-1.4E

    > > > I mount the smb share in my fstab as follows:
    > > >
    > > > //myserver/jyoung /mnt/uni smbfs
    > > > credentials=credsfile,gid=jyoung,uid=jyoung,auto,r w

    > > smbfs is going out of support soon. You should be using cifsfs
    > > instead.
    > >

    > > Jeremy.
    > >

    > --
    > James Young, B.Sc.
    > Ph.D. Student
    > Interactions laboratory, Department of Computer Science, University of
    > Calgary
    > 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T2N 1N4
    > Phone: +1.403.210.9502
    > E-mail: jim.young@ucalgary.ca

  6. Re: [Samba] File locks?

    Thank you for the reply,

    # modinfo cifs
    filename: /lib/modules/2.6.24-1-686/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko
    version: 1.52
    Specification e.g. Samba and Windows
    license: GPL
    author: Steve French
    srcversion: 6BE8BB9F68C542F4B1774D3
    depends:
    vermagic: 2.6.24-1-686 SMP mod_unload 686
    parm: CIFSMaxBufSize:Network buffer size (not including header).
    Default: 16384 Range: 8192 to 130048 (int)
    parm: cifs_min_rcv:Network buffers in pool. Default: 4 Range: 1 to
    64 (int)
    parm: cifs_min_small:Small network buffers in pool. Default: 30
    Range: 2 to 256 (int)
    parm: cifs_max_pending:Simultaneous requests to server. Default:
    50 Range: 2 to 256 (int)

    --
    James Young, B.Sc.
    Ph.D. Student
    Interactions laboratory, Department of Computer Science, University of
    Calgary
    2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T2N 1N4
    Phone: +1.403.210.9502
    E-mail: jim.young@ucalgary.ca

  7. [Samba] File locks?

    Hello,

    Recently, the following problem started happening with a particular samba
    server:
    If i have a file open for reading (say, a pdf in xpdf) and then try to write
    to it (say, through recompiling a latex document) it complains that it
    cannot open the file for writing.

    this seems like a file lock issue but I am unsure where it is happening. My
    previous usage should be perfectly safe since xpdf should only open for
    reading.

    This problem does not happen locally or when I connect to a different samba
    server (a windows machine). I can also ssh into the remote server, port xpdf
    , and my local process can write to the file. It is the samba connection
    that is making the lock.

    I am running Debian Unstable, using smbclient/smbfs 3.0.28a-2 to connect
    to a samba server (unix backend) on my university network. Server:
    Samba3.0.10-1.4E

    I mount the smb share in my fstab as follows:

    //myserver/jyoung /mnt/uni smbfs
    credentials=credsfile,gid=jyoung,uid=jyoung,auto,r w

    I spoke with my system administrator and he said it may also be possible to
    get the server settings changed depending on what is required (and the
    implications).

    Thanks

    (This is a re-post, I apologize for any annoyance)

    Jim